Rusty Accord's 99 Sedan LX F23A4 w/5speed (56K)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about the Master series, I am always up for trying new products, only reason I suggested the por was the cars around here have held up nice with it, but then again your harsher climate might need something a lil different.
Yeah, I had been hearing about it on a couple of other forums I'm on. What's nice about it is that you don't have to sand blast it before putting it on. You can, and it doesn't hurt it either. Normally I just sand blast and use PPG's DP series epoxy primer, as I know that works (have been using over 20 years now). But we decided to try something different (and lower cost). I ordered up a kit from Chuck (just under 100 with shipping), and followed the directions. It went on and self leveled, and filled the pits really nice. When I was done, I was actually amazed at how it worked. And now, it's been in place on my buddy's truck for a few years (seeing Michigan salt) and it's holding up very well. I'll use it again, but first I've got to order more as I don't have any in stock. ;)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You have been a busy man, looking good though and that rust does not stand a chance around you !

Yeah, I didn't really want to throw that rusty subframe back under the car like it was. It might have taken longer, but I figured cleaning it up and putting something on would make me feel better at least. It actually looks pretty decent, and it is surprisingly solid still. Plus the new tank looks good sitting inside it. :)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I went to attach the left rear hose, only to have it come apart. Nobody in town had 1, so I was done for the day. I did hang the exhaust, and weld my sleeve on. Right side brake went together like it was supposed to. But no pics of that. Right now I'm waiting On a LR hose, no ABS, drum brake. It should be in around 10 am according to the guy at O'Reilly's. Then I can bleed the brakes, and put the rear tires on.Then put it back on the ground and drive it.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
Wow, great job! Looks like you had a fun few days. Now I wish I had painted my subframe too; if I ever have it out again I will. I'm glad you were able to get it out without fighting those rusty lines without needing to learn the hard way like I did the first time I tackled this. For the miles that car has, it looks really nice.

It'll be fully replacing your '97 in no time.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Ok, picked up the hose I needed, and got it installed. Then I did a little gravity bleeding, before calling my wife to be a pedal pusher. Got the brakes bled, and then drained about 1.5 gallons out of the old tank before adding the old tank to the scrap pile out back. Put the 1\.5 gallons in, and then added 2 more gallons before firing it up and checking for leaks. No leaks, so off the stands was next. Then, I moved it outside where I cleared the codes, and then took it over to the gas station and put 20 bucks in it. After I got back, I gave it a quick rinse as it was filthy, then tooks some pics to add here. Here they are.
10gh4dd.jpg

Here's a rear left side shot.
ehhgms.jpg

A nice left side shot of my wife's car (something I've been wanting to do).
v4x7bq.jpg

A shot from the right rear corner, kind of looking down the side of it.
10y0ytu.jpg

Here's the right front corner.
2j4ri4i.jpg

And the left front corner.
2cdhcib.jpg

Here's a shot of the fronts of the 99 and the 00.
2hgv2gi.jpg

Here's a rear shot of the 2 of them.
2ly4gab.jpg

And finally something I've been waiting to do since Christmas, add my stickers (the made in Japan 1 for certain). I put it right in front of the center hi mount light, so when stepping on the brake, the light will filer thru the bar code. :)
At this point I'm partly caught up with the car. Maybe next week I'll work on doing the front sway bar bushings and end links, as I've got them here already. I'll say 1 thing though, it felt good to be driving it again, as I really do like the car. Future plans call for replacing the cat converter (will go with a Magnaflow cat), as I'm getting a P0420 (low cat threshold code), and I'm looking at replacing the exhaust system with a stainless steel Magnaflow cat back set up. I figure that if I go stainless, I shouldn't have to worry about it rusting out for a long long time. ;)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Wow, great job! Looks like you had a fun few days. Now I wish I had painted my subframe too; if I ever have it out again I will. I'm glad you were able to get it out without fighting those rusty lines without needing to learn the hard way like I did the first time I tackled this. For the miles that car has, it looks really nice.

It'll be fully replacing your '97 in no time.

Yeah, your write up helped a bunch. I had kind of looked it over in the FSM, and couldn't figure out why the wanted you to remove the sway bar. But popping the lines off at the sending unit was definitely the way to go there. And not disturbing the lower fittings was the thing, as they are flaky rusty.
Yeah, that's what surprised, as that it's mostly solid. Yes it's got a little rust, but for the most part it's pretty clean, and everything works. I don't know about it being fun, as my shoulder is still messed up some, and it kind of limited how much I could push myself.

And yes, it IS replacing the 97 (already in sitting in the 97's parking spot), as I've only been driving it because of the fuel tank leak in the 99. I've actually had the 97 up for sale since November of 2016, but at the same time driving it too. Don't get me wrong, the 97 is a nice car, and everything works on it too (I drove it all summer last year), it's just that I can't see hanging on to it and letting it sit unused. I'd rather sell it off, and let someone get some use out of it.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Ok, picked up the hose I needed, and got it installed. Then I did a little gravity bleeding, before calling my wife to be a pedal pusher. Got the brakes bled, and then drained about 1.5 gallons out of the old tank before adding the old tank to the scrap pile out back. Put the 1\.5 gallons in, and then added 2 more gallons before firing it up and checking for leaks. No leaks, so off the stands was next. Then, I moved it outside where I cleared the codes, and then took it over to the gas station and put 20 bucks in it. After I got back, I gave it a quick rinse as it was filthy, then tooks some pics to add here. Here they are.
10gh4dd.jpg

Here's a rear left side shot.
ehhgms.jpg

A nice left side shot of my wife's car (something I've been wanting to do).
v4x7bq.jpg

A shot from the right rear corner, kind of looking down the side of it.
10y0ytu.jpg

Here's the right front corner.
2j4ri4i.jpg

And the left front corner.
2cdhcib.jpg

Here's a shot of the fronts of the 99 and the 00.
2hgv2gi.jpg

Here's a rear shot of the 2 of them.
2ly4gab.jpg

And finally something I've been waiting to do since Christmas, add my stickers (the made in Japan 1 for certain). I put it right in front of the center hi mount light, so when stepping on the brake, the light will filer thru the bar code. :)
At this point I'm partly caught up with the car. Maybe next week I'll work on doing the front sway bar bushings and end links, as I've got them here already. I'll say 1 thing though, it felt good to be driving it again, as I really do like the car. Future plans call for replacing the cat converter (will go with a Magnaflow cat), as I'm getting a P0420 (low cat threshold code), and I'm looking at replacing the exhaust system with a stainless steel Magnaflow cat back set up. I figure that if I go stainless, I shouldn't have to worry about it rusting out for a long long time. ;)

Some really good progress being made Rusty, also I think you are making a good decision on the Magnaflow street exhaust for 2 reasons.(And not just because I chose it as well LOL!)

1) It's Stainless steel (Duh lol)
2) Their street version is backed by a lifetime warranty, just make sure to keep the receipt from where you get it and buy from a authorized dealer who can help you communicate with Magnaflow directly if something happens to it for some reason.:waytogo:

After seeing the old oem exhaust you pulled off, it was definitely roached, even the one on my wife's Accord is doing the same thing and it's does not even see the harsh environment that you do up north yearly.
Pretty sure I will end up going the same route for her as well just to ease my mind for one less thing I have to replace on it.

I think by the time we are all done with our cars it will be just like driving a brand new one haha.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Some really good progress being made Rusty, also I think you are making a good decision on the Magnaflow street exhaust for 2 reasons.(And not just because I chose it as well LOL!)

1) It's Stainless steel (Duh lol)
2) Their street version is backed by a lifetime warranty, just make sure to keep the receipt from where you get it and buy from a authorized dealer who can help you communicate with Magnaflow directly if something happens to it for some reason.:waytogo:

After seeing the old oem exhaust you pulled off, it was definitely roached, even the one on my wife's Accord is doing the same thing and it's does not even see the harsh environment that you do up north yearly.
Pretty sure I will end up going the same route for her as well just to ease my mind for one less thing I have to replace on it.

I think by the time we are all done with our cars it will be just like driving a brand new one haha.

Yeah, I also looked around on here (thru the exhaust sticky), and saw quite a few people using the Magnaflow mufflers, but someone elses piping, or going straight thru to get it louder. Personally I like it quiet, and I wanted something that'll last a long while. But yes, the exhaust is pretty well gone, but it's still quiet enough for now. My 97 got a Bosal cat back put on it, as it was cheap enough to do (plus the pipe broke off the muffler and there were some holes in the piping), so it needed something now. It didn't hurt that the Bosal exhaust was made in Michigan (Ann Arbor/Dearborn area), so it shipped fast. They're also an OEM to GM.
Yeah, I just need to hunt around, and see about getting 1 on order, as I don't think too many places have it in stock. I may do my wife's car down the road as well, but her set up still looks almost new compared to mine.
Eventually I'll have the Hondas 100% done. I don't know when that'll happen, but that's 1 of the nice things about owning a Honda, you don't HAVE to work on it every weekend, unless you want to. :)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Well, this is kind of an update, in that the car got a new set of winter tires, and I did a long stud conversion to the rear hubs. I know this thread is useless without pics, so here they are;
feqtxc.jpg
Stud lengths
m82ohj.jpg
hub shot

289em3d.jpg

2mg4axz.jpg

2pzlfeu.jpg

zir2nt.jpg

2zdt15w.jpg

2im1ij4.jpg

ipt89x.jpg

2wmhxcm.jpg

10pcyso.jpg

Sorry about the extra pics, but I was trying to show how much closer to where I want the rear to be. I should mention that while the Dunlops (that I previously had on) are great in the summer months, they suck big time in the snow. My plan is to run them year round as I don't put a lot of mileage on the cars these days (I have several others, and I like to "exercise" them as well). :) These are also a little wider and slightly taller than the Dunlops.
Oh yeah, sorry about it being dirty, but it's been raining every day this week. :O

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Kind of an update, but I did get the 10mm spacers in place, and have plenty of lug stud to hold 'em in place. I've also ran it up to 80+ and no vibrations.
Currently it's in shop (my garage), getting some other work done to it. I did finally get the front sway bar parts installed, and that helped. I've got a set of Timken hub bearings sitting here waiting to go in (just gotta build a press for them), and a big white box arrived today. :) Inside it is a SScat back exhaust from MagnaFlow. :love: That'll be going on in a few days, once I get my cat issue straightened out (they sent me the wrong one). It's getting everything from the manifold back done though. Sorry no pics, but at this point I'm still gathering stuff up. Once things shake out a little more, I'll be posting up some pics.

Last edited:
Back