H22T or G23T? The quest for more power

619rcr

Reaction score
Whats up everyone, haven't posted in a while... (I did an H22 N/A build and 5 spd swap a while ago on my old 99 4Dr). Now, I have a 01 coupe with the H22 running Nitrous at 289Hp and 275tq on a tuned P28 & chrome. (All motor I run 195Hp and about 161 Tq) . the build was orig for N/A due to funds limitations & the H22 was outfitted with Mahle pistons. Hence I only honed the block, but it has about 25k miles since the rebuild & It is starting to show its age. At my last tune a couple weeks ago it was smoking out the exhaust on the nitrous pulls. My tuner said I should replace the rings again. I DD the car, it has no check engine light or drive-ability issues, all factory accessories are fully functional. I rarely run the NOS, I just like to have the power up my sleeve.
That being said... I'm looking for more power and it has to be reliable.

I recently purchased a cheap stock 97 prelude SH with a couple issues for parts or just a spare DD and have since pulled the motor and trans. I'm hoping to build the Accord for H22 turbo or possibly a G23 turbo. I'm really not sure. I don't wanna spend too much more money, just looking to make reliable turbo power in the range of 350Hp and 300Tq.
I do realize the H22 needs to be sleeved to run forged pistons, another reason I didn't go turbo on the first build. But, its definitely looking like a route to go now.

Here's the current build...
94 JDM H22A (stock sleeves) with 87mm Mahle 11.5:1CR pistons, Eagle forged H beam rods, ARP studs, ACL race bearings and cometic head gasket.
Head is stock with Skunk2 Tuner stage 1 Cams, didn't have money at the time I did the build.
93 JDM M2B4 LSD trans, Fidanza light flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
MSD digital 6 ignition, MSD Blaster SS coil and MSD wires
NOS wet nitrous approx 90shot setup
AEM high flow fuel rail & 440 Injectors
DC 2.5" header, test pipe & 3" mandrel bent exhaust going to an HKS Hi Power muffler (turbo sized).

Spare engines I have at my disposal at the moment
Orig 01 F23A1 Stock engine 175k miles
Stock 97 SH prelude H22A4 engine 169k miles

I'm hoping for suggestions from someone who has either turbo'd a G23 and had it run successfully at least a year with no issues or H22 turbo guys making over 350Hp to the wheels reliably. Wet sleeve the H22 and replace the pistons with lower compression ones or use forged K20 pistons on the f23 block and slap a H22 head on it?

Last edited:

TURBOG23

Reaction score
A sleeved H22 is a way better option than a g23. But if your goal is only 350hp mahle gold series pistons in the h22 with lower compression will hold great. No need for sleeves. But I would sleeve it because just like you want more power now you will want more again. At that point at least your motor will be ready to push more power.

619rcr

Reaction score
thanks everyone. I'm still considering both. More power is always a possibility for the future. I think it will come down to price to wet sleeve the H22 and get forged pistons. I would still like to keep the Frankenstein G23 as a backup plan.

TobEZ

Reaction score
The G23 has mad potential, in "my opinion" it better, but don't take my word for it, but the thing with the G23 is, you have to build it right, don't cut any corners at all

xci.ed6

Reaction score
does it still burn oil?

Check the compression.

I prefer SOHC, so you may be able to fix it.

Back