F23 swap into 3gee

Myogi

Reaction score
Booiiiss,

I want to get some feedback, Honda-tech and 3geez hasnt helped much. I want people to help me hammer out the details on this upcoming swap because I really want to see it through.

I have a 1986 Honda Accord LXi, primitive EFI with a A20A3. Honestly I like the engine but finding a manual trans is kinda hard and I already comb junkyards and Ive never seen my baby in a yard.

So we move to the next step, I had two 6 gens this year and before I scrapped one (title issues :[) I took the F23, 5spd, ecu, goodies etc. I want to do a full swap into the 86 and get some new age Honda up in it. Ive done a 5spd swap before but this will be my first engine swap. I have some of the details coming together in my mind but I want help with any details that I might not know.

Engine, accessories, mounting clutch master is easy. Wiring harness should be relatively straight forward. Im going to use the cluster from a 98 so I can keep the functionality and all of the lights, blinkers etc will be kept old school.

My biggest problems right now are axles. I dont want to do a full 6gen hub/suspension conversion so I am planning on getting custom axles that fit the h22 5spd trans I have and fit the 86 hubs. I will be picking up a wiring harness on Sunday for a f23 but do I need to get a special harness for the h22 trans? That part I never figured out. Motor mounts im not scared of. I will get my axle geometry right and then mount the assembly where it hangs. I have TONS of room in the engine bay of my 86.

The best part of this swap is ill have a garage space, I have the engine and trans and miscellaneous parts and everything I dont have is going to be cheap out of the junkyard.

Great minds, what am I going to miss? Whats going to really suck doing this conversion? Dont worry about the 86 side but what details from the F23 am I going to run into.

Love Hondas, freaking love Accords. Thanks guys

IG: junkyardspec

Follow or die

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Booiiiss,

I want to get some feedback, Honda-tech and 3geez hasnt helped much. I want people to help me hammer out the details on this upcoming swap because I really want to see it through.

I have a 1986 Honda Accord LXi, primitive EFI with a A20A3. Honestly I like the engine but finding a manual trans is kinda hard and I already comb junkyards and Ive never seen my baby in a yard.

So we move to the next step, I had two 6 gens this year and before I scrapped one (title issues :[) I took the F23, 5spd, ecu, goodies etc. I want to do a full swap into the 86 and get some new age Honda up in it. Ive done a 5spd swap before but this will be my first engine swap. I have some of the details coming together in my mind but I want help with any details that I might not know.

Engine, accessories, mounting clutch master is easy. Wiring harness should be relatively straight forward. Im going to use the cluster from a 98 so I can keep the functionality and all of the lights, blinkers etc will be kept old school.

My biggest problems right now are axles. I dont want to do a full 6gen hub/suspension conversion so I am planning on getting custom axles that fit the h22 5spd trans I have and fit the 86 hubs. I will be picking up a wiring harness on Sunday for a f23 but do I need to get a special harness for the h22 trans? That part I never figured out. Motor mounts im not scared of. I will get my axle geometry right and then mount the assembly where it hangs. I have TONS of room in the engine bay of my 86.

The best part of this swap is ill have a garage space, I have the engine and trans and miscellaneous parts and everything I dont have is going to be cheap out of the junkyard.

Great minds, what am I going to miss? Whats going to really suck doing this conversion? Dont worry about the 86 side but what details from the F23 am I going to run into.

Love Hondas, freaking love Accords. Thanks guys

IG: junkyardspec

Follow or die

Those are carb or TBI correct?

Step 1 - I would convert to OBD1 and run a P28 ecu

I'm not sure what the size is or spline count on the 86 axles but I can almost guarantee you'll need custom axles. I doubt you'll find anything that fits. The only thing that might even come close are some first gen Integra axles.

You don't need a special harness for the H22 trans. You will probably need to make some sort of custom subframe to clear the oil pan or at least cut out that center support that the factory 86 one has. Looks like you will have figure something out for the speed sensor, probably just wiring.

Added you on IG

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
For axles you can just hybrid your own. Use f23 inner joints and factory accord outer joints. And hope the axle shaft length will fit. Worth a shot.

i think it would be a dope swap. Are there any h22 swap mounts for that chasis? That might be the easiest way to go and then just build a f23 timing side engine mount.
H22 and f23 trans mount use the same locations

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project the 3rd gen is very light, it will be a nice daily with a f23. What body style do you have? A 86 lxi was my very first car, i had a hatchback. Keep us up to date, good luck!

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
I'm with these guys above. That would be a sick daily driver with the f23 swap. Keep us updated on here as you go!

Back