LEDs inside and outside our Accords

Gman86

Reaction score
I have been looking around here on 6th gen and online elsewhere seeking "proof" on the benefits of LED vs. Incandescent bulbs as it pertains to the automotive realm. This idea/question crossed my mind as i was sitting in traffic last night in my 99' Accord LX 4cyl Sedan. I had the head-lights on, radio up to a appropriate level, with the windows down. (It was a 72 degree night in North Florida last night) I decided to roll up the windows and power on my A/C...when it kicked on my lights dimmed slightly for about a second (maybe millisecond lol) which is normal operation i believe. It just kind of irritates me, and it got me thinking about how to reduce the load on the electrical system by possibly converting to LED.

So here we go...Naturally you hear LEDs are more "efficient". With that being said I've made a quick list of LED benefits/shortfalls:

PROS.
1. require much less power to run.
2. are much brighter.
3. instant full illumination.
4. most are cool to the touch.

CONS.
1. cost more than Incandescent bulbs.
2. sometimes aren't compatible or cause "weird" electrical issues.
3. wiring is sometimes required for "proper operation" IE "hyper-blinker issues"
4. Not as readily available as incandescent or available in as many sizes.

I am pretty convinced in LEDs, and am doing a full interior LED light conversion. (minus any lights that require soldering or wiring up) IE- Door Courtesy Lights - Glovebox Light - Instrument Cluster Lights - Map Lights - Dome Light - Trunk Light - and Installation the of LED Footwell Lights. Here soon i will also be converting the Parking Lights - Brake Lights - License Plate Light as well.*

Now someone with Knowledge of electrical systems can definitely chime in here...i want to know if there is truly any benefit to my electrical system for running LEDs in our accords over Incandescents? Like Voltage/Ohms gains and losses (led vs Incandescent) - a difference in load on the alternator/fuses - could it extend the life of a battery?*

Just a couple of ideas and thoughts. thanks for any input guys.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The 6GA's wiring is thin gauge (too thin really), so I wouldn't depend on the thought that you'll be taxing your car's electricals any less. I doubt anyone has really taken the time ton conduct a study on incandescent vs LED but maybe someone will chime in on that.

The only reason people here have converted is for aesthetics and to update the feel/look of the car. For the hyper blink it's simply a matter of using load resistors or the more recommended LED flasher unit (plug n play), not wiring. And the only "complicated" LED's to replace in the car are ones that are soldered in, such as those found in the OEM radio.

The only real CON is cost, and quality in some cases. Don't buy cheap Ebay LED's, or LED's from LEDAutomotive. If you buy cheap, another con can be quality.

kn0x47

Reaction score
replace the ground wires and cleanup the grounding points will probably help the most

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
.... Don't buy cheap Ebay LED's, or LED's from LEDAutomotive. If you buy cheap, another con can be quality.

I second this. My LED Automotive ones in the gauge pod are very finicky at times. But my clock bulb from them has been fine, so I think they may of mastered the 3mm bulbs, lol.

Gman86

Reaction score
replace the ground wires and cleanup the grounding points will probably help the most

Thanks for the advice. I dont have an issue im trying to repair atm...this more a preventative maintenance idea i had. My thought was converting what lights i could from incandescent to led might lengthen/strengthen the life/power of my electrical system. I havent found anything but speculation that converting to led anywhere on a vehicle that came equipped with incandescents has any major energy saving benefits at all. Logically youd think itd be beneficial in some way, kinda like in your house going from traditional 60watt bulbs to CFL-CREE energy saving bulbs. Kind of puzzling at this point.

As for HIDs i have no interest as of yet in installing them in my cord. I have owned a few sets of 100watt 6k and 75 watt 10k "plug n play" kits. I want to finish this install of leds and possibly add the Apexi Super Grounding Kit and a optima battery before i move onto HIDs.

As for Led automotive i see they have one hell of a collection of led applications for our accords...to bad their quality comes under fire so often...i was kind of convinced in their products. Reviews always dictate what i buy tho...i always read the reviews/customer experiences.

Last edited:

Dread

Reaction score
I just bought a full set from precisionled.com should be coming in the mail tomorrow! Will update you on how hard it was to put in later!

twofast4u

Reaction score
Personally I'm using 2 9 LED panel's in my dome light and a 6 LED panels in my map lights. They've been performing quite well so far and extremely bright and they are ebay as well. My gauge cluster as well has been working quite well for 3 years now with no dead bulbs. I guess for ebay its just the luck of the draw. Some work, and some dont.

Gman86

Reaction score
I just bought a full set from precisionled.com should be coming in the mail tomorrow! Will update you on how hard it was to put in later!

Wow these kits they have on here are pretty impressive. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Interested especially in the LED License Plate lights in the bright white (6K). Really fiending on the newer Lexus GS License plate led look.

198326d1296325559-rear-lamps-mod-for-non-us-lexus-gs-88cd8d29a226af6e-large.jpg

Link to the 98-02 CG Accord LED kit>

http://www.precisionled.com/honda-accord-led-interior-lights-kits-1998-2002.html

Back