Took the head off, here's what I found.

mikerophone

Reaction score
Short history: My lady overheated our F23A, (198K owned it since 50k) white smoke coming out of the exhaust, air leaking between cylinders 2 and 3 on a leak down test and compression was low on both of those cylinders, but squirting oil in them doesn't bring them up. Gotta be the head gasket, or possibly a crack in the block right...

Topped the radiator off with distilled water and a little bit of coolant until I can get parts and find the time to tear into it, had to start the car and move it a few times over the last couple of months while I had it parked but when I tore into it last weekend and today here is what I see:

Surface rust in cylinder 3:

Ughhhhh can't post links/pics, my account is only 6 days old...one more day. :banghead:

There is no rust in any of the other cylinders, but the valve surfaces of cyls 2 and 3 are brownish and 1 and 4 are black and oily. There is no obvious crack between cylinder walls.

I can't see an obvious head gasket break/leak missing sections, wisj I could post pics. Anyone know of a way around it - can I PM someone the links and have them post them?

The head gaskets seem to be separated a little more between cyls 3 and 4, and this is my first head gasket R&R so honestly I am not sure what I am looking for/at.

Ideas/suggestions?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
You see no leak usually, make sure block & head are flat, reassemble

Back