Need help with trouble shooting suspension noise pop clunk

paypalbid

Reaction score
What 's up guys.

My left front suspension been making a weird subtle pop clunk noise at low speed in parking lots going over speed bumps or dip water channels in parking lots.

Also if I go into an alley with rough and worn asphalt with spot I would hear the pop rattling of the suspension.

Now I took it to the shop and had them look at it. The took the mallet hammer to the components and could not find anything lose and to point out the problem. I had them tighten the sway bar mounts and sway bar end links and the problem did not go away. I asked them to check the bushings and lower ball joint and they say everything is fine.

Now the problem does not appear to be dangerous but rather annoying. There is no noise on the street or freeway even when I hit dips or pot holes which lead me to think its not the shocks. The shop think its the shocks. What do you guys think ?

I have the Koni yellow and they have a bout 120,000 miles on them now. What else should I look into ?

lashlee

Reaction score
I recently found a noise in the rear suspension of my car by jacking it, pulling off the tire, and using a breaker bar on the lower suspension bolt to just barely move the entire assembly. Once I did this a few times I was able to find the upper strut center nut loose as well as the sway bar end link.

Get it up in the air and have someone help you move things around and see what you come across.

stanleybb50

Reaction score
I would say the sway bar end links themselves --- That absolutely sounds like it to me..

I know you told them to tighten them.. but the internals of the endlinks are making the noise is my $0.02

paypalbid

Reaction score
I might just purchase some sway bar endlinks and replace them anyway cause they are cheap. I will report back...

finch13

Reaction score
Worn bushings in the top mount can cause clunks.

Work spring isolators can cause clunks (rubber pad between spring and top mount.)

End links can cause clunks, but I'd look for play in teh joints before going and spending money on new ones.

paypalbid

Reaction score
Worn bushings in the top mount can cause clunks.

Work spring isolators can cause clunks (rubber pad between spring and top mount.)

End links can cause clunks, but I'd look for play in teh joints before going and spending money on new ones.

The noise im experiencing appeared to be coming from the lower end of the suspension as I can feel the vibration on the floor everytime the noise occur

stanleybb50

Reaction score
The noise im experiencing appeared to be coming from the lower end of the suspension as I can feel the vibration on the floor everytime the noise occur

To me, this further supports sway bar end links.

Also, you had said people were checking everything else out and didn't see anything out of sorts. The endlinks will appear to be fine when looking at them, but they can be causing this.

My mechanic - who is a friend of the family, couldn't figure it out on mine...

Check out my two posts and see if they are the same issue..

And the funny thing was that a dealer that i took my car to for something else tried to scare me and sayin crap like "you better pay us to check that out... Your wheels could fall off" or some crap like that...

Either way, goodluck!

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10753&highlight=sway

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19794&highlight=sway

Millz

Reaction score
same thing happens on my car on the right side

its the endlink

while my car is up my mechanic grabbed it and started vigurously shaking it

this replicated the noise that it makes

paypalbid

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of front sway bar end links off ebay for $25 shipped. I will get them in this weekend. I know the stock endlinks took a beating over the years cause i have a the Neuspeed sway bars and front lower tie bar so all the pressure tend to go to the weakest link.

I strongly suspect the end links and I do appreciate everyone 's help/contribution. If it continue to make noise I will replace the front shocks. I have Koni yellow with life time warranty so I can just go to Neuspeed in Camarillo and exchange no problem.

I dont think the problem is the sway bar bushings cause I got the Neuspeed front and rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings already.

Last edited:

paypalbid

Reaction score
So I got new front sway bar endlinks installed. The rattling noise is gone but the popping noise remains but the popping noise is rather "solid dense popping noise" if that make sense. So the search for noise elimination continues...

Back