Painting High Beam Reflectors Yellow

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Eh, I don't think they are any brighter at all. Those are the bluish/chromish looking ones that light up amber, right?

If you want some brighter amber turn signals... look into some LED turn signals. (smt tower-type bulbs)

Like this:
1156_smt_30led_a_wm.jpg

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out!

As an FYI, I did buy some amber 194 bulbs for the parking lights below the headlamps, as well as some 4-led ones that are clear and light up amber. The results were the same. The 4-led replacements (at $10 for 2) were no brighter than the standard 194 bulbs (at $2.99 for 2). [Sorry the camera battery was dead :/]

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Justin, do you think they are any brighter? Or would you say the same as oem bulbs.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
JMiller: I'd be interested in knowing if they come across any brighter too. I plan on getting some but nowhere around here have them... going to have to order online.

Also, did you smoke the bottom amber strip?

I did paint my lights today and everything went fine. Left some of the important part of the turn signal reflector unpainted (figured it's easier to paint more later than remove paint!) After I reassembled one light, a small portion of the reflective material came off the other one so I had to take the first light back apart (PITA) and redo both lights and modify the pattern a bit. I did take out the lower amber strip in front so it's clear now... looks good but I bought some orange 194 bulbs I plan on substituting for the clear ones in the near future. Or, I may use the 4-led 194 bulbs that are clear and shine amber though they were about the same brightness.

Oh, the color, I wound up painting the housings with krylon fusion BLACK. It's really nice because it comes out more of a gunmetal. My only complaint is it has a "shimmer" and when the lights are on at night and you look up close it kind of looks light specks of dust are trapped in the housing.

(Will post pics tomorrow hopefully)

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
OK, had success! Here's a few photos:

CIMG0197.jpg

CIMG0207.jpg

CIMG0213.jpg

I'm very happy with the results. Now I'm ready for switchbacks (once I figure out my tire/rim situation! :D)

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

x27arab27x

Reaction score
when i black housed my headlights i only did the bottom portion of the turn signal black and left the relflector on the top portion. they light up really well. still. although blacking them out would look sick.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I would say brightness between the Silverstars and regular amber bulbs is the same. They just look blueish/purpleish/red/orange when not lit.

And no, I didn't smoke the amber strip.

Last edited:

gzero87

Reaction score
hondaspeedx, you used stain glass paint for your high beem reflector right?

I was thinking about doing this too, what brand and color did you use and where did you pick it up at?

Back