Car discharging: alt and battery okay

Y112

Reaction score
Recently all warning lights have gone on & off: open door indicator (all doors and trunk) brake light, battery, check engine ABS etc. Lights might flicker, but usually stay on. Alternator removed and checked out, along with battery. Could this be the ELD relay? I've replaced main battery ground cable and checked the one on drivers side. Recently laid off and beginning job interviews. Really need this car.

capsidx

Reaction score
Did you check the codes if any are present? If the eld is receiving too much voltage it will throw a code. As far as all those lights flashing that sounds like a bad ground. I’d start there. Chassis to engine and battery to engine or chassis depending on where your battery is. I too was laid off [emoji28] right in the beginning of a motor swap. Made it pretty difficult to finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y112

Reaction score
Is there a chart or sketch showing where all the ground connections are? i'm only finding main battery ground and driver side inner fender ground ,

dawg316

Reaction score
would help if you list your year make model. whats done to the car. whats the milage and condition.

you listed in your title that your battery discharges. do you have to jump start it after it sits for a few hours?

are you familiar with using a volt meter?
can you diagnose wiring?

if not i sugest you learn , or put in the effors of willing to learn

capsidx

Reaction score
The diagrams don’t usually help when it comes to locating grounds. I have an h23 so my grounds are in different spots so I’ll tell you which ones I know off memory. The door lights and battery will flash if there’s a bad ground if I’m not mistaken because I had this problem a few times during the swap.

Anyways the grounds I remember are one from the chassis to the drivers side motor mount, the one on the drivers side of the intake manifold. That one is g101 and if it was loose your car wouldn’t start.

There’s a ground from the tranny directly to the battery, and alternator gets grounded from being bolted up. I believe there’s one on the thermostat housing as well. Should be one from the tranny to chassis too.
I
f you really want to make sure you can use a jumper cable, clamp one end on the motor or tranny and the other end to the subframe. If the light goes away or looks stronger you can assume it’s a ground. Otherwise the only reason I see the battery not charging is alternator or battery. There’s really no other options there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy86

Reaction score
have you added anything to the car that is NOT original anything added that is electronic? stereo, lighting, gauges, ect... sounds like some sort of parasitic draw let me know and il help the best I can.

Back