DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
how i used to have it:
DSC00606.JPG

xluben

Reaction score
what you used to have, is what i have now. seems good to me :)

but i'm sure you're new airbox has much better flow. the enlarged (really enlarged) hole should help a lot, but i don't think the ridges on the sides were really hurting anything.

theaccordian

Reaction score
to be honest xluben, you can get more gains by simpling cutting a bigger whole out the bottom of the airbox, if you look at the stock inlet whole it cant be more than 2 inches in diameter, so adding a cai extnension is kinda futile.

xluben

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
to be honest xluben, you can get more gains by simpling cutting a bigger whole out the bottom of the airbox, if you look at the stock inlet whole it cant be more than 2 inches in diameter, so adding a cai extnension is kinda futile.

i would like to be able to put it back to stock if i ever need to......

but how much air is actually flowing here? is the restriction at the bottom of the airbox really hurting me alot?

maybe i'll just get the $30 ebay CAI.....

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
sri...
+throttle response
+top end
-torque

cai...
+top end
+waterinyourengine (not a good thing so its a - lol)
-throttle response

stock airbox...
+throttle response over cai
+torque over sri
-looks and sound

my views at least :beer:

Jeffro

Reaction score
I would think modifying your airbox by removing the resonator would run the risk of water the same as a CAI since its drawing air from the same place. How would CAI get any worse throttle response than SRI? Its the same amount of air and the same filter...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
cai has a longer tube...i can feel the difference between the 2 (somehow lol).

water would have to go up into the stock box against gravity vs the filter being right near the ground. the splash shield protects the stock box pretty well.

theaccordian

Reaction score
xluben said:
i would like to be able to put it back to stock if i ever need to......

but how much air is actually flowing here? is the restriction at the bottom of the airbox really hurting me alot?

maybe i'll just get the $30 ebay CAI.....

yes its hurting I cant even fit three fingers through that hole, plus the cai extension is just elongating the route the air is going through, which leads to the bottleneck.you can find an old stock airbox for like $10 bucks.

and jeffro removing the resonator does not present the same hydrolock risk as cai, the cai filter sits like a foot to a foot and a half lower than the stock airbox.

Last edited:

theaccordian

Reaction score
yeah so if you ever need to go back to stock just shell out the five dollars you were gonna go to mcdonalds with and get another airbox.

Back