DIY: Switchblade Key

goldenchamp

Reaction score
I just finished mine! A word of advice to those that want to try it. Get the key blade cut at a locksmith who specializes in automotive keys! I went to a regular locksmith, and they almost destroyed the key blade! Not only do the automotive locksmiths know better what they're doing, they may even do what they did for me and sell me a transponder chip for $15! (He had a chip without a key laying around, and it totally worked!)

C3DC1846-F447-4069-84B3-74B690A23243_zpsielwirs6.jpg

3CA214FB-F6DA-425B-8731-876BF8EF0D28_zpshuhnx9vh.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I do wonder about the weight of the other keys or anything else on the case, now that they are further out from the ignition. Usually not good to put that kind of strain on it.

james'99

Reaction score
I do wonder about the weight of the other keys or anything else on the case, now that they are further out from the ignition. Usually not good to put that kind of strain on it.

You're right! The concept is beautiful but to execute this on a car that is known for ignition switch problems, probably not optimal.

Mikey

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely not for those with a lot of keys. I have a small run with my house keys on it and that's it. It's a little longer but it's just as heavy as the key and fob by themselves. This is just one package piece instead of two.

Dnguyen211

Reaction score
I tried this and it worked out perfectly... However I would like to add my V6A had a different key layout, the transponder in the key was in a little rubber slip and was Stright up and down with the key... In my case I had to break off the blade and carefully with my file melt the rubber off the transponder "case"

Mikey

Reaction score
Hmm. Was it the original, OEM key? Could it have perhaps been the valet or backup key? Mine only came with the one and it was the original OEM key. I had to make the cheap one from online and the one in the switchblade. So now I have a spare key for GF.

swtnlow

Reaction score
great write up and i just ordered mine. going to try and have local locksmith cut it because the dealer wants to charge me $45 to cut it and $105 to program the chip. luckily i found out i have a chipped spare key.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
great write up and i just ordered mine. going to try and have local locksmith cut it because the dealer wants to charge me $45 to cut it and $105 to program the chip. luckily i found out i have a chipped spare key.

I about spit out my coffee. Holy ****. That's a ripoff for a at most, $30 key.

Back