Rebuild Transmission or Buy Remanufactured from Honda?

jer510

Reaction score
I know a good quality shop that can rebuild my tranny for $1900 including labor. And I called Honda and they said for a remanufactured tranny installed would cost a total of $3500 for parts and labor. What's a better way to go? Rebuild or remanufactured from Honda. The shop I know has a warranty of 3/100 vs the Honda warranty which is 3/36. Are the Honda remanufactured trannies a lot smoother/reliable than the stock trannies that had a recall?

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
why not just go to a junkyard, find a used tranny and toss that in there, 1900 is > 25% of your cars worth, i wouldn't spend it trying to fix something so probably to breaking as our transmissions

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
why not just go to a junkyard, find a used tranny and toss that in there, 1900 is > 25% of your cars worth, i wouldn't spend it trying to fix something so probably to breaking as our transmissions
This.
Option C, swap to a standard.
Or This.

A rebuilt transmission will typically only last another 50K. If you can find a low mileage wreck in a junk yard, you'll probably get the same mileage for half the price.

Or the manual swap is a great idea.

jer510

Reaction score
I'm willing to pay the price. Cause I want this car to last me for a while longer. So would the tranny from Honda necessarily be better than a rebuilt? Both are rebuilt just one is from Honda.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
:eusa_wall:

just get one from a junkyard and have the shop swap that in

Yes, you see noob. We gave you a suggestion and you tossed it in the toilet. No matter what transmission you buy, the damn thing is going to die another day. Go to the junk yard and buy a cheap low miles unit. Then, sell the car. If you want a 6thgenaccord thats worth keeping, it better be a manual or have a an automatic built by the hands of God.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
1900? :wtf1:

RIP OFF!

i got mine for around 700 installed with warranty! shop around first pal :)

how is that a rip off? for the next 3 years he has a warranty of 100k miles?! go that route and worry about it 3 years from now. floor it and when it goes, take it back! im sure 3 years from now your taste will change. it's an old car, eventually something else will go out in 3 years and it will end up being a money pit.

finch13

Reaction score
1900? :wtf1:

RIP OFF!

i got mine for around 700 installed with warranty! shop around first pal :)

HAHAHA. $700 for a "rebuilt" tranny installed? Someone cut major corners somewhere. Even at wholesale, I would be paying $1000+ for a quality rebuilt tranny, and then charge you $600 or so to put it in and then another $100 or so in miscellaneous parts.

I'm willing to pay the price. Cause I want this car to last me for a while longer. So would the tranny from Honda necessarily be better than a rebuilt? Both are rebuilt just one is from Honda.

I would trust the Honda one all day long, not to mention they will stand behind their warranty. Honda = OEM parts, aftermarket = unknown quality, probably Chinese, junk parts.

Back