Maintenance.

Bond4387

Reaction score
Hey guys, my car is slowly approaching 100k in miles (currently at 97k) and I'm just wondering what kind of regular maintenance you guys would recommend at this type of mileage. I've had the car going on 2 years now and I've never replaced anything on it, besides the oil, battery and brakes. I'm talking in terms of plugs, wires, dist. cap, fluids and so on.

Anything you guys could suggest to me would be great!

(btw, tried searching for maintenance, and found close to nothing)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Definitely timing belt/water pump.

And some other stuff depends on when it was done last. If you don't have the prior history of the car on file, I'd follow the above to be safe.

Bond4387

Reaction score
Well the only things that post lists after 100k is the spark plugs and timing & balance shaft belts. Is that really it? I feel like I should be replacing more lol

Griffeycom

Reaction score
While you're in there go ahead and replace the water pump too. It's worth it to just do it now while you're doing the timing belt rather than tear it all apart.

Other than that, spark plugs would be good to replace. I wouldn't worry about wires unless you know one is bad. My dad's 86 Accord was at 250k with original wires.

If you haven't done anything to the coolant since you've had it I'd go ahead and replace the coolant. I'll be doing my coolant soon as I hit 95k I think.

Thats all I can think of for now..

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well the only things that post lists after 100k is the spark plugs and timing & balance shaft belts. Is that really it? I feel like I should be replacing more lol

That's where knowing the history helps. But since you've only changed the oil, battery, and brakes since you've had it, I would check your coolant and power steering fluid condition (have you changed your trans fluid?). I'd also replace the air filter if need be.

Bond4387

Reaction score
Haven't touched trans fluid. Time to start gathering these items and getting to work!!

Thanks again guys. Always appreciated.

Nissan2anAccord

Reaction score
For the questioner, its not hard to change the trans fluid, be care full to have a wide enough catch pan, when i took the bolt out it hit my in the face, that was fun... :owned: other than that make sure to have a long enough funnel or hoseto funnel combo down to the transmission dipstick hole.

That's where knowing the history helps. But since you've only changed the oil, battery, and brakes since you've had it, I would check your coolant and power steering fluid condition (have you changed your trans fluid?). I'd also replace the air filter if need be.

if the condition of the P/S fluid is black as night, how does one drain and refill if thats the process, i have not found a DIY, then again i havent looked in the last 2 weeks or so...

Last edited:
Back