Questions about the TL shifter swap

Mikey

Reaction score
The first one would be if anyone knows where a better write-up is other than the one on v6p. :lawl:

My main question though is about the different TL shifters. The 99 TL's came with a 4-speed shifter, like this...

24209790044_large.jpg

And I'm guessing the 00-03s came with 5-speed, like this...

acura-tl-raleigh-nc_39933_026725_22.jpg

Both assemblies have the offset slot for the main drive gear. But if you notice, the 4spd has a groove for D3 whereas the 5spd spot for D3 is just kinda "there". Also not sure if there would be shifting issues with the 5spd one as we have no 5th gear. Would the computer see D5 and D4 as the same gear?

It isn't discussed in the v6p DIY if this is an important difference or not. My guess would be that it isn't, if people used the 5spd one. Just thought it might make a difference.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
There's absolutely no difference between the two. Your cable will still be pulled the exact same length with either one, so you'll still technically be using only four gears. As far as a write up goes:

Cut the reverse lock out so you can bring it from R to P. There will be two locks on the right hand side I believe (it's been a while since I did mine.) If you're looking at it straight on, the locks will look like a V ..

Do NOT cut this one (There is a plug that will actuate it so it will move out of the way when you hit your brake) -->\/<--Cut that side of the lock so you can take it back into park. (This is the lock that is closest to the "P" if I'm not mistaken. You could always plug in the shifter, the press on the brake and see which lock activates. Whichever one activates, save it. Cut the other one.)

There is another alternative to cutting the lock I believe. I didn't have the shifter in my posession long enough to test this method out. Basically, you have ONE plug that directly plugs into your OEM harness. However, there are TWO harnesses on the shifter that control the locks. If you want, you can splice the harness for the second lock into the harness of the first lock, so when you press your brake BOTH of the locks will actuate. If you want, take pictures of everything so I can see what wires are where. Otherwise, you could just cut off the second lock ..

As far as the rest of the install goes:

Take your console out
Remove your shifter
Install this shifter
Plug in the "Reverse lock" plug.

Also, iono if you're wondering, but when you put it in D4/D5 and move it to the left, then shift it up and down, it doesn't do anything :p Same goes for the 5 speed. If you move it down to the 1-2 and wigle it back and forth, it wont do anything haha. Purely aesthetics :)

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
I like the look of the 5spd one better but the 4spd serves more function IMO. And if I end up putting a boot on, aesthetics won't really matter.

There's so much confusion over the locks and which ones to keep and which ones to cut. PLUS the dust boot issue and tabs and pieces you're supposed to cut. It doesn't help that there aren't pictures. Hence why I was looking for a better DIY, lol. If I do this, it'll probably be like my other DIYs and ill take pics of every single step.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I have(had) pictures because I was going to post the DIY, but then went 5 speed and now I don't know where they are. I'll see if I can go home and find them for you. The 4 speed and 5 speed are the same. Neither of them 'serves more function' than the other.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Just talked with another member who just did the swap, so hopefully he will. Home in as well.

He went with the Prelude option, which is basically identical.

The 'manual' shift option is computer based, so no need to worry about that with the swap.

Got02Accord

Reaction score
Just talked with another member who just did the swap, so hopefully he will. Home in as well.

He went with the Prelude option, which is basically identical.

The 'manual' shift option is computer based, so no need to worry about that with the swap.

Hello! I did just do the swap and It was straight forward and my trim piece was already cut up(i am doing a shift boot anyway) but i actually took out the actuator and don't have any shift locks on it. I dont have to hit the brake but there is enough space you have to move the shifter over that its not going into R unless you are shoving it over. Now this is not recommended of course but it is the way I did it. Here si the pics of mine installed.

2012-11-16 18.04.25 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

My friend messed with my stock shifter so now before i go away to school i have to fix my old one so i can put it back in before i go away

Mikey

Reaction score
The Prelude one looks cool, too. I just don't know that I like the knob options for the Prelude. I've also seen and heard people have issues with getting the Prelude shifter to sit flush and level in the Accord. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if it doesn't look stock or damn close to it, I'm a little hesitant. However, I think there's probably a better chance of finding one for a prelude as opposed to a TL.

And ej, if i could, I would, lol.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
None of them will sit flush. For mine, I had to put washers underneath the shifter assembly to level it out. The rear of mine sat higher than the front. Almost like how his is. All you really need to do is shove some washers down in there when you're bolting it down.

Mikey

Reaction score
That's what I meant. Someone on v6p said that, even with washers, it wasn't leveling out and looked weird.

I guess if I'm putting a boot on it, again, aesthetics won't matter too much.

Back