Help with painting valve cover

slowrider87

Reaction score
Best thing to do is use a adjustable wrench and rock it to slowly loosen the bolts

time to be an *** again...

some shop owners don't allow techs to use an adjustable wrench. adjustable wrenches suck. they are a last resort wrench for odd size bolts, or good for holding nuts still when you don't have to of the same size wrench while you use a REAL open/box end wrench on the other end to turn the bolt. they can and regularly do loosen themselves each time you move/jiggle/turn it and round down bolt heads, making them equally as useless as breaking them. i have an adjustable wrench that has a handle like vise-grips to lock the adjustable head in place, and i still have yet to us it.

the vc bolts are a common 10mm socket/wrench. if you don't own one of those then you have no business touching a honda or most any other car. I've taken off many VC's. just don't go all incredible hulk, use the proper wrenches. torque them to spec (9.8 Nm, 1.0 kgf.m, 7.2 ft. lbs.)using a real torque wrench, or us common sense and ighten then until they feel SNUG.

well i just put out a helpful tip for those who wish to paint their VC
heres a true "helpful tip"...
"Tighten the bolts in two or three steps. In the final step, tighten all bolts, in sequence, to 9.8 Nm (1.0 kgf.m, 7.2 ft. lbs.)"

Alldata ftw. Do some research kid. now kindly stfu and stop reviving old threads with poor information.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score

some shop owners don't allow techs to use an adjustable wrench. adjustable wrenches suck. they are a last resort wrench for odd size bolts, or good for holding nuts still when you don't have to of the same size wrench while you use a REAL open/box end wrench on the other end to turn the bolt. they can and regularly do loosen themselves each time you move/jiggle/turn it and round down bolt heads, making them equally as useless as breaking them. i have an adjustable wrench that has a handle like vise-grips to lock the adjustable head in place, and i still have yet to us it.

the vc bolts are a common 10mm socket/wrench. if you don't own one of those then you have no business touching a honda or most any other car. I've taken off many VC's. just don't go all incredible hulk, use the proper wrenches. torque them to spec (9.8 Nm, 1.0 kgf.m, 7.2 ft. lbs.)using a real torque wrench, or us common sense and ighten then until they feel SNUG.

Alldata ftw. Do some research kid. now kindly stfu and stop reviving old threads with poor information.

Agree 100%. Plus, I don't think any adjustable wrench I own could even get all my bolts off of my VC.

Bax

Reaction score

"Tighten the bolts in two or three steps. In the final step, tighten all bolts, in sequence, to 9.8 Nm (1.0 kgf.m, 7.2 ft. lbs.)"

owned.
:jae:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score

Well i got mine off perfectly with a adjustable and tourgued them right back up, and ive had no problems. No need to be a dickhead. We all have different methods, i just shared mine

Bax

Reaction score
No need to call names just because you're embarrassed.

cfox28

Reaction score
thats funny, I'm actually in the process of painting the engine covers of my 02 v6. I definitely agree with others, you should use High Temp paint, especially since what you're painting is metal and will get hot.

High Temp paint usually comes in a spray can format, and you can usually get it from autozone or stores like it. for the lettering you might be able to do a little digging online and find a small pint can of the high temp paint.

What you will most likely end up doing is a high temp primer, then color then clear coat and polish. I don't know specifically if your job will need High temp color and high temp Clear coat.

Here's a thread that I was looking at: http://www.v6performance.net/forums...diy-painting-interior-trim-engine-covers.html

Again, since I don't have your engine, I don't know specifically what you need.

P.S. I think blues would look good, Maybe a dark blue? I wouldn't get too colorful, IMO crayola box engine bays don't look good. I think Black or white could look good too

Back