Simple Green Engine Bay Cleanup (Non-Accord Content)

xluben

Reaction score
Not sure if this goes in the "Detailing" section or the "DIY" section. This section seemed good enough. Feel free to move it it deemed necessary.

I "detailed" my engine bay tonight. Basically just followed what thousands of other people have done and posted online:
  • Started with a cool/slightly warm engine (should be able to touch it)
  • Low pressure rinse to moisten everything (garden hose on an extremely low setting)
  • Sprayed on Simple Green liberally (I did not dilute it at all)
  • Let sit for a few minutes
  • Lightly scrubbed with a long bristle, soft brush (general scrub only, not necessary on a relatively clean engine bay)
  • Rinsed off with water (garden hose, again on low setting)
  • Wiped dry with a towel
I did not cover anything. I tried to avoid spraying water directly onto electricals and the cone filter, but everything got wet to a point, and no problems were encountered. According to the time stamp on my photos, the entire process (including taking photos) took 16 minutes. Very quick and easy, and I am happy with the results.

I did my WRX first, but I did not take any photos. It wasn't that dirty to begin with, so the change wasn't that drastic (but it really did come out looking like new afterwards). I did my wife's 07 Civic next. It has never had the engine bay cleaned. Not perfect after, but still looking very god. Before/after photos below:

i-WCR8KtN-L.jpg

i-9DpVc3b-L.jpg

i-ddQxmpg-L.jpg

i-MdC9ZMP-L.jpg

i-h3XmzRm-L.jpg

i-mzGLt2k-L.jpg

i-hJMt7nQ-L.jpg

i-XVZ9TMH-L.jpg

I did not put any finisher on the plastics to keep them shiny. I did take the photos when they were still moist, so I'm sure they'll look a lot more dull once they're completely dry, but I'm not really concerned with that. Looks nearly as good as new and the engine bay has only had one cleaning in 4 years!

turbo_911

Reaction score
Looks nice and clean. Not sure how Simple green will react in long time, but sure it's better to use automotive cleaner :)

Just saying my opinion :)

Bax

Reaction score
Would all that water hurt an HID kit?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Looks like it worked nicely. I wouldn't worry about the plastics not having some shine, that would only matter if you were at a show or something, where you could just spray some armorall on a rag and wipe them down. Having that stuff on all the time, in excess anyway, seems to attract dust.

Back