Brake Pads Smoking?

Carlos28

Reaction score
"you smelled burning urine before?? why would it be burning in the first place lol
but yeah, that he said^^"

As a 17 year old from So. Cal, there are a lot of things you unintentionally experience at parties.

That experience came from a guy relieving himself into a fire-pit. My friends backyard smelled like that the rest of the night.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Pump your brakes and E-Brake about 20 times then check the where the smoke is coming from and make sure you installed everything right (or it was installed right). With brakes it's always a pretty easily diagnosed problem, trust me I've done my brakes and other's since 2000.

If worst comes to worst have someone drive your car very slowly and see if you can diagnose where the pads are making contact and then go from there (see if you can hear any type of noise).

Smoke most likely could be the brake grease that is applied to the braking system after brake pad installs etc (shops use lubrication) and what happens sometimes is some of the grease gets on your brake rotor, gets heated up, and starts to smoke.

More than likely it's because your pads are thicker than your old ones and they need to be pumped to screw around with the brake caliper piston.

make sure you did not overtighten your brake caliper bolts etc.

1. pump brakes, e brake, fist 10 times. then do the other stuff.

Good luck

JDMpower25

Reaction score
Not sure if calipers are seized, but when I let go of the brake, the car won't move so I'm thinking that there isn't any room between the pad and rotor. I only instated the pads, and the smoke was coming from the driver's side only.

try to push the piston back in further. (same thing happened to me one time, had to push the piston in more)

jdmcg3

Reaction score
from what ive read.. its a seized caliper. im almost willling to put money on it.

Mine did the same...lol
Check calipers?
Mine were seized...so had to replace it and no more smoke

or you just rebuild the calipers you have. its not that hard.. theres even a DIY on the topic

Last edited:

Carlos28

Reaction score
Well I ended up jacking up the car and pushing back the pistons. Haven't had the problem come back since I did it two days ago so I guess it was just a matter of not pushing back the piston far back enough like JDM said. If anything else pops up I'll update but for now I'd say problem is solved. Thanks everyone.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Well I ended up jacking up the car and pushing back the pistons. Haven't had the problem come back since I did it two days ago so I guess it was just a matter of not pushing back the piston far back enough like JDM said. If anything else pops up I'll update but for now I'd say problem is solved. Thanks everyone.

b88op0.jpg

JDMpower25

Reaction score

good. glad u didnt have to buy a new caliper. :)

SykVSyx

Reaction score
"you smelled burning urine before?? why would it be burning in the first place lol
but yeah, that he said^^"

As a 17 year old from So. Cal, there are a lot of things you unintentionally experience at parties.

That experience came from a guy relieving himself into a fire-pit. My friends backyard smelled like that the rest of the night.

Not sure if necessary to this thread.

Back