Need to go lower--help!

joeygkb

Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents--

I recently dropped my car on F2 coilovers and got myself some 17x7 wheels with 205 bf goodrich gforce tires. I just installed a yakima rack and now want to go lower to since the rack made the car look a lot higher.

My problem with going lower is that the front wheels rub the fender liners when I hit a dip on a turn hard enough. They used to rub a lot in the back as well when I first put the wheels on, but I opted to buy and install a camber kit for the rear which fixed the problem and gave the car a much nicer look in the back.

After searching around, it seems to me that people go way lower on wheels and tires that are a lot wider than the ones I have on my car now--even without rolling or pulling fenders. I've also read that some cut their fender liners in the front or just remove them altogether. I don't really think removing them is an option for me because I daily drive the car in NYC so I can't have all the garbage on the roads being thrown up into the engine bay and door jams. Driving the car low here is enough to worry about :skurred:

The real issue is that the bfgoodriches run a lot wider than other tires of the same size, which I wasn't aware of until I put them on the car and did a little research to see WHY IN THE WORLD 205s would be rubbing in the rear (because that's not even wide compared to some).

So what should I do? Work with the tires I have, or just go out and spend the money on a new set to allow myself the drop without rolling/pulling/cutting/relocating? A friend of mine told me to just wait until the tires wore out and then get a different set and drop the car. That's fine, but I really wouldn't want to wait another year or two before these tires are done--they're brand new.

Sometimes I just need ideas--thanks for your time as always guys!

scrapnav6

Reaction score
So what should I do? Work with the tires I have, or just go out and spend the money on a new set to allow myself the drop without rolling/pulling/cutting/relocating? QUOTE]

What seems more pratical and cheaper. Spending $400 on another set of tires even though you just bought a brand new set, or spending less then $5 to roll and relocate? (there is no way a pull is needed for a 7" wide wheel).

:coffee:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What's the offset of the wheels? And what's the sidewall of the tire? I dont see how you could be rubbing with a 7" wide wheel on 205's, when a stock 6.5" wheel on 205's is super sunk.

joeygkb

Reaction score
I know I'd like to avoid getting new tires but if that's what's gonna have to happen for me to have the height that I want then it might be worth it.

Here's some info on the wheel:
Size: 17x7
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.63"
Bolt Pattern: 4-114.3
Rec. Tire Size: 205/45-17
Weight: 15.0lbs.

& the tire:
205/50ZR-17 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2

Now I know the rec tire size is different than the one I got, but they told me over at tirerack when I ordered via phone that I shouldn't be running the 45s with my car and that rim because the 50 would do a lot better for me. I don't really know why they said that, they said I could go with either one but they specifically told me a few times that the 50 would suit my needs better so that's the one I ended up going with.

I thought about the offset when I was purchasing the wheels and I used one of the online things that compares the appearance and fit of the wheel/tire combo against each other and they stuck out the same amount, which leads me to blame the tires for running so wide. I would have someone cut/roll/relocate, but I just don't know where to go for that and who to trust. I know a few guys in the area that do it but I've heard some bad things in general from friends who have rolled their fenders so I'm nervous doing that.

Last edited:

joeygkb

Reaction score
I'd love to know myself! The tire runs so wide that it's about 8 inches wide if I actually go and measure the width of it. I don't understand it. The tires are amazing with traction and handling, I just can't get the hight I want because of the rubbing issue. It makes no sense how 205s are rubbing the way they do.

Narftastic

Reaction score
Dude seriously just roll your fenders, relocate the rear bumper tab.. And if you don't want to take out the wheel well lining just cut out the part that's rubbing... I haven't had mine in for over a year, drove through snow/rain ect you'll be fine.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Rubbing with a 7" wide is new to me .. What's the reason as to why you won't roll your fenders ? If you ever want to go lower, you've got to make sacrafices =/

Back