Not worth the aggro

Hobbit

Reaction score
Well the trans fluid needed to be changed and after watch vid after vid and reading thread after thread I decided it ain't worth the aggro of clambering under the car and getting dirty followed by struggling to fill the trans. So off to nearest Honda it went
Cost - £75 inc parts , labour and VAT at 20%
Oil was £12 a litre so as I said not worth the aggro, I now have a much nicer car to drive with according to Honda health check nothing wrong with the car :)

And for everyone saying fill thru dipstick well that's not how Honda do it, they undo the 17mm bolt on top of the trans marked ATF :)

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
As long as the maintenance gets done, diy or at a dealership. Once you've identified the bolts and scrounge up your tools the job isn't any more difficult than changing your passenger side wheel.

Some DIYs just aren't worth the aggro (British expression?). Window Tint, for example, just isn't for me.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Pretty simple actually, but it's all about priorities. Really the same as changing the engine oil, actually easier since there's no filter to deal with. Jack up the car, remove drain bolt and drain fluid, replace drain bolt with new crush washer, remove fill bolt on top of trans (need one long socket extension of connect a few together), then with a long funnel fill w/the appropriate amount. Replace fill bolt. Definitely do not fill through the dipstick, who said that lol.

Like your sig btw, so true.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Definitely do not fill through the dipstick, who said that lol.
honda does :lawl:

you put the 3.5 quarts in through the fill plug, then add in through the dipstick hole to the proper level.

source: looking at the 8th gen service manual right now :lawl:

Varnell

Reaction score
You may excuse Chris. I don't think he has used a tranny dipstick hole in a few years.

Edit: That sounds way worse than I intended. :Whoa:

Last edited:

Hobbit

Reaction score
To funny , but yeah Honda suggest thru the dipstick hole to the point I've made a filler with a funnel and fish tank hose in prep for the change then decided sod it lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
honda does :lawl:

you put the 3.5 quarts in through the fill plug, then add in through the dipstick hole to the proper level.

source: looking at the 8th gen service manual right now :lawl:

Never did this when I was auto and that slushbox was solid. :lawl:

You may excuse Chris. I don't think he has used a tranny dipstick hole in a few years.

Yeah let's go with that. :lawl:

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
just did mine for about $50 in fluid, $3 for a long ass funnel, and around 15 minutes of my time. thats what...30 or 35 in the queens currency?

temporary_4.jpg

xci.ed6

Reaction score
weird, I use the dipstick tube to fill, always did when I was a Honda tech to, so did the other guys.

Just gotta make sure you use real Honda fluid, ours is -WAY- different than others, they're just red too. Our auto is closer to a manual, btw. This aftermarket stuff that does Dex/Mobar/etc -AND- Honda is junk.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
was that on cars like civics where the fill plug is right above the drain plug? fill it up till it spills :lawl:

doing it myself means i have control over what fluids go in and the dealer won't be able to charge me $80 :lawl:

Back