Comparing a couple cars, input? *bought - page 2*

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Looking at getting a Venza for my wife, cap is $16k and wanted under 60k miles. I don't have experience with the Venza or Toyota for that matter, so I have been trying to get informed and read up. Anyone own one or know someone who does? Seems like common complaints are road noise and A/C that doesn't blow super cold. I mostly want to make sure the drivetrain is solid.

I've found 3 that we might look at. I don't know what to make of some of the things that popped up on history reports, looking for feedback. Thanks fellas.

#1 - 2009
52k miles
$15,599
FWD
4cyl auto
Supposedly 1 owner
Carfax clean other than:
- There is a lien/loan event listed in the history.
- The mileage is listed at 32k on 4/4/2013, and 30k on 4/2/2015. :eh:

LINK:
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car...1-91ad-cf42c2d0053a&Ep=search:results:results page#tab3

Autocheck%201_2009%20red%20Venza.jpg

Autocheck%202_2009%20red%20Venza.jpg

#2 - 2010
61k miles
$15,473
FWD
V6 auto
Supposedly 1 owner
Carfax clean other than:
- There is a duplicate title record, I've read this can be nothing...or something.
- It was in Canada and then sold at auction, ending up here. :thinking:

LINK:
http://www.waltsweeney.com/used/Toy...f0a0e0ae8031639d15bbdf80f.htm?searchDepth=4:4

Autocheck%201_2010%20white%20Venza.jpg

Autocheck%202_2010%20white%20Venza.jpg

#3 - 2010
50k miles
$14,500
FWD
4cyl auto
2 previous owners, leases
Carfax clean

LINK:
http://www.jeffschmittchev.com/Vehi...-4dr_Wgn_I4_FWD_(Natl)-Fairborn-OH/2684118473

I know I know, CRV lol. But they are just everywhere and the recent models resemble minivans which are trying to avoid. We like exterior design and upscale feel of the Venza, and it has a little more power. I really wanted to find a Lexus RX, this seems like the best alternative.

Last edited:

Pardie

Reaction score
Comparing a couple cars, input?

On the first car, it could have had instrument cluster replaced, which would be the cause of the difference on the odometer. If that is the case though, it should say in the vehicle report. Also the car should cost less because actual miles on the chassis are unknown.
Edit: my 2 cents. Just make sure you can live with the console mounted shifter and info-tainment system. I drove a Prius for a bit and hated the console mounted shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Re: Comparing a couple cars, input?

in the case of #1, the lien just means someone is/was financing it. it's at a dealership now, doesn't matter at this point. someone fat fingered the odometer reading when it went through emissions i bet...they didn't even put in exact mileage, twice. look for a sticker inside the driver's door jamb since a cluster change requires one to be there.

#2 was probably another case of fat fingers or someone legitimately lost the title. i'd avoid it anyway since it's an auction car that has spent most of 2015 trying to be sold after it was brought to the US.

#3, you'd be the third owner in 5 years. if she runs it into the ground, no problem.

in that same price range, i'd also go for an RX350.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tires - I think there's only a handful of manufacturers that make tires in the required size for the Venza and they all suck.

sb001

Banned
Reaction score

in the case of #1, the lien just means someone is/was financing it. it's at a dealership now, doesn't matter at this point. someone fat fingered the odometer reading when it went through emissions i bet...they didn't even put in exact mileage, twice. look for a sticker inside the driver's door jamb since a cluster change requires one to be there.

#2 was probably another case of fat fingers or someone legitimately lost the title. i'd avoid it anyway since it's an auction car that has spent most of 2015 trying to be sold after it was brought to the US.

#3, you'd be the third owner in 5 years. if she runs it into the ground, no problem.

This is the only response worth paying any attention to.

Had the instrument cluster replaced? REALLY?? :whymewhyme:

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Update:

Yes I have a 2009 Toyota Venza V6 all-wheel-drive. It's the first model Venza Toyota has made. I'm not a big fan of Toyota but it's a decent truck especially for trunk space in backseat. No major issues with the car except regular maintenance and some minor recalls. Actually, only issue I've had is with the car alarm. It seems to go off on its own in the middle of the night when it's activated or even parked in a parking lot. The technicians couldn't figure it out. Many people of had the same issue with your nine alarm I just never went into it any further and sometimes don't activate it especially when it's at home. The V-6 engine is quite strong but it is a gas guzzler. I would not recommend the four-cylinder because it is just not enough power for such a heavy car. That seems to be the complaint online when trying to distinguish between the two engines.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

^Thanks Derek, that sounds good. How long has he had it? I'd love to know more about if Venzas had any transmission issues or anything. From what I've found they don't, seem to be pretty reliable. Complaints are interior quality, A/C, loud ride, and not exactly thrilling to drive.

On the first car, it could have had instrument cluster replaced, which would be the cause of the difference on the odometer. If that is the case though, it should say in the vehicle report. Also the car should cost less because actual miles on the chassis are unknown.
Edit: my 2 cents. Just make sure you can live with the console mounted shifter and info-tainment system. I drove a Prius for a bit and hated the console mounted shifter.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah we are going to test drive for sure, the shifter was one of my main ergonomic concerns.

I was hoping you’d chime in, thanks Ryan. If we look at #1 I will see if there is a sticker in the door jamb. #2 is definitely out even though I’d prefer a V6, I think we are going to look at #3 this weekend even so. History is clean, and has the lowest mileage for the lowest price.

Lexus RX 330 or 350 was my first choice, but in this price range they seem to have around 75k miles or more, at least the ones I've found within reasonable driving distance. There are ones that have less mileage but they are salvage titles.

Then there’s this..Pavlo is hiding something. lawl:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...s=100&minPrice=1000&listingId=416465050&Log=0

I like this one but it has a little too much accident history:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...s=100&minPrice=1000&listingId=415593903&Log=0

If this was local and checked out, it'd probably be a done deal.
http://www.southeastautobrokers.com/2008_Lexus_RX 350_Pompano Beach_FL_260902521.veh

Tires - I think there's only a handful of manufacturers that make tires in the required size for the Venza and they all suck.

I went on TireRack last night and it seemed like there were a lot of options, but some may have been truck tires which would look weird on a crossover. Thanks for the heads up Greg.

Get the Venza in brown. That color is gorgeous

I usually hate brown but this is one of the few cars it does look good in. Rare too. My wife likes white or light blue metallic though.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Will get the details for you.

Funny, you should mention, theirs is actually white.

Want a :canada: Venza?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

I looked at the Venza before I got my CRV... it's a large SUV at a lower pricepoint, but it does have an outdated motor (i only remembered that it hasn't been updated since the venza was first introduced).

I'd avoid the 1st one. Liens means someone owes the bank something and the title will not be handed to u until the lien is clear. Most of the time, the new owner takes over that responsibility.

#2 and #3 are fine imho.

Back