Reaction score
Amazing overhaul!

duGTfon.jpg
:win:

Mad props to you & your brother's work!

Sino

Reaction score
October 2014 - HID Projector Retrofit - Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 4300k

Restored my faded Stanley headlights to see if they were worth attempting an HID retrofit on. I deemed them pretty acceptabe.
JwtSHKz.jpg

210 F for 7 minutes, flexed up the clips, pried around the headlight, another 5 minutes in the oven, and worked it open slowly. Ended up painting the housing and removing amber lenses.
6toUz51.jpg

8IaY026.jpg

Fresh out of the oven:
4PPZOec.jpg

onojIJW.jpg

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
January 2015-Present - Engine rebuild - I bought the car off my mother, who bought it new. It's consumed a lot of oil throughout most of its life. I'd started hearing bearing noise so I figured it's time to overhaul it and fix it for good.
xokSZAK.jpg

V5wYm9H.jpg

9AqYJnr.jpg

tiECaBC.jpg

cssI6dI.jpg

kVLGmqQ.jpg

XodYFQR.jpg

js3scaY.jpg

6ZH6J7p.jpg

pZtDjx3.jpg

SpgeS2U.jpg

2EU8yPn.jpg

8NuraLT.jpg

Lots of carbon buildup on intake ports, exhaust ports, valves, pistons.
DZm056X.jpg

si6sK3N.jpg

Wg56E5p.jpg

Cylinders were in pretty good shape though
BrTolqr.jpg

As this project went on, it turned into a bit of a restoration too. Here's one of the parts I did black plastic restoration on. Top is done, bottom section isn't.
zazyFX6.jpg

And sealed afterwards with 303 Aerospace Protectant
5yBaqvk.jpg

Short block after machine shop ringed the pistons, pressed in seals, and did a deck/hone job.
N8E8kF0.jpg

650CNTv.jpg

W0r5zaE.jpg

RtWMuBC.jpg

Cylinder head after machine shop finished it, looks pristine with the acid wash and bead blast they gave it
yAflnzt.jpg

8S21et4.jpg

jrR99aP.jpg

aISvCgK.jpg

Gave them the two halves of the intake manifold too, the bottom part was impossible for me to get all the sludge out myself.
J6gqPCf.jpg

IbsLMWR.jpg

Exhaust manifold heat shield after sanding the significant amounts of rust
CWTuUjU.jpg

Painted
3JTaHNK.jpg

Before and after of the faded and acid burned battery tray insert
FJRdEsh.jpg

abUoN6r.jpg

Cylinder head bolted and torqued as per Honda's specifications: 29 lb-ft plus 180° turn.
4mTbD1Q.jpg

Timing done
OnV93L1.jpg

Balance shaft seal retainer. Only a couple of bucks for the kit from Honda, I figured why not.
aVC0zvo.jpg

21j1t2A.jpg

Just a fraction of the tons of parts I've cleaned rust off to paint/clearcoat
IYtX1oL.jpg

My brother's low-tech paint station
HiV3pD0.jpg

SS4LQtm.jpg

rVuHYOQ.jpg

duGTfon.jpg

4YzI40t.jpg

ui9rKAx.jpg

Engine, ready to be dropped in
IAhOY6v.jpg

Engine bay, cleaned to my satisfaction
4f9Fhue.jpg

Engine has since been dropped in and is sitting pretty in all its mounts. A few more things to bolt up, and waiting on some parts from Majestic. I'll take a picture once everything's bolted up.

When the machine shop pressed in the cam seal, the inner lip rolled and the spring popped out of the seal. Thanks to the RTV they lined it with, removing it was an in-law of a *****.
3e8fVeg.jpg

Finished the product. I'm pretty proud of it.
H0C6A0o.jpg

Google Sheets spreadsheet with rebuild cost breakdown

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
Started engine for the first time today and it sounded absolutely perfect. Then we noticed a significant amount of oil leaking from somewhere on the timing side. :poop:

nexTOme

Reaction score
This is nicest restore and well documented thread ive ever seen.

Good job and I always envied people with time/money/skills to do this kind of things at home.

james'99

Reaction score
Started engine for the first time today and it sounded absolutely perfect. Then we noticed a significant amount of oil leaking from somewhere on the timing side. :poop:

Restores always go that way though. Don't sweat it too much buddy. Can't be anything too critical.

Sino

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm just glad it's not the head gasket. It's probably one of the seals the machine shop pressed in -.- Have to take off valve/timing covers to see exactly what it is. And if it is a seal, need to get my hands on the Honda tool somehow. Just sucks, after months of elbow grease, it started instantly, and sounded beautiful. And it can't go anywhere lol

Sino

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do. I took vid but I had a ton of air in power steering and it made a racket that'll probably overpower the serene smoothness of the engine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back