Sino's 1999 Accord EX Sedan 5MT (56k)

Sino

Reaction score
My brother had an awesome idea to take the timing covers off and run the engine, and I definitely saw a piss stream of 5w-20 coming out of the cam seal. Going to have to buy a new oil seal and drop 100 bucks on a puller/installer tool set but thanks to the way Honda designed the plastic cover, my belts didn't get very oily at all and we're comfortable reusing them. I feel much better today lol

james'99

Reaction score
My brother had an awesome idea to take the timing covers off and run the engine, and I definitely saw a piss stream of 5w-20 coming out of the cam seal. Going to have to buy a new oil seal and drop 100 bucks on a puller/installer tool set but thanks to the way Honda designed the plastic cover, my belts didn't get very oily at all and we're comfortable reusing them. I feel much better today lol

Good to hear!

But ehh, with success like this, what's another $100? That's my take.

I wish you posted this elsewhere... Can't rep you in a member's ride thread...

Sino

Reaction score
Yeah I don't mind buying the tool set, I expect to have to do more seals some day, I will do everything possible to still be driving this car in 15 years.

As requested (lower your volume, it's a bit loud):

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
Posted two pictures to rebuild post. No more leaks after significant time idling. No metal fragments larger than a fine powder in magnetic drain plug. A couple of small coolant hose leaks stopped after hoses got hot. Don't want to jinx it but I think she's good as new.

james'99

Reaction score
Posted two pictures to rebuild post. No more leaks after significant time idling. No metal fragments larger than a fine powder in magnetic drain plug. A couple of small coolant hose leaks stopped after hoses got hot. Don't want to jinx it but I think she's good as new.

Awesome buddy! I don't think I'd ever use a magnetic drain plug though. I mean, I think it may wear the threads of the pan over time faster. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic here but... Anyway, great job buddy! Bet you'll have lots of fun now.

Sino

Reaction score
I'd never even considered that. How?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
I'd never even considered that. How?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I figure if metal shavings/particles are collecting on the plug, by removing and inserting the plug, the plug will effectively probably push some of these shavings into the threads of the pan. Plus, I don't really see the huge advantage because if the metal shavings leave the pan through its natural track, its first stop is the oil filter anyway so that is how I look at it. Again, I may just be overly critical.

Sino

Reaction score
All I saw on the magnet after first oil change was a muddy substance. If it were larger chunks it might be so, but these neodymium magnets are pretty damn strong. I'm pretty sure the head of the plug isn't magnetic, just the rod that comes off it. If I've got big chunks of shrapnel in my oil pan I'm more concerned with the fact that my engine's falling apart lol. I like the idea of a magnetic plug more as a visual indicator to how the engine's doing.

As far as having lots of fun now, there's still so much I want to do to the car lol. First priority is getting the roof painted, and probably the trunk. Mostly neglect but the deep velvet blue paint didn't seem to last as long as the other colors these came in. Also inherited a busted driver side fender I'll have done at the same time.

Back