Sino's 1999 Accord EX Sedan 5MT (56k)

Sino

Reaction score
Been a while since an update. Been pretty heartbroken that after the rebuild the car is still burning oil, as much as a quart in 100 miles. Not ruling anything out but symptoms like looking through the spark tube and seeing drops of oil would suggest valve stem seals, which would be best case scenario. Waiting on a borescope to make sure.

Managed to work out the issues with my front turn signals. Backfeeding was due to crappy designed bulbs. Got some switchbacks in there now and they work flawlessly.

Also in the process of installing a reverse camera. Found an awesome one on eBay that fits perfectly in the license light hole. Very clean look.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it's burning oil, hope you can get that figured out. Post photos of the rear camera, sounds like you found a good solution.

Sino

Reaction score
As requested:
hP1b0xx.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361277183267
The LED license plate bolts I bought turned out to be unnecessary, as the camera comes equipped with license lighting. Gasket it came with was extremely thick, which required another pair of hands to reach inside with a screwdriver and pull the clip inside while I pressed on the camera.

Sino

Reaction score
My brother having received his ebay borescope, I shoved it down the spark tubes and found what I believe is oil puddled in multiple cylinders' valve reliefs.

8v8mYOa.jpg

zIezYMk.jpg

JW3dgNO.jpg

Pulled the exhaust manifold off and got some very concrete proof that the machine shop botched not only my cam seal, but valve seals as well. Pictures below are of 4 different valves. Can't wait to get them off and clean them and see if the color coded springs tell me they mixed up intake and exhaust seals. :shakehead:

3AMMo43.jpg

lmP7OFe.jpg

Xwoogo1.jpg

PxH0ZZA.jpg

Also did a leakdown test and got a very satisfactory 5% leak across all 4 cylinders.

Sino

Reaction score
Glad she got to go for a nice hard drive through the sticks the day before surgery. Climbing the tach and letting it fall back down to break in whatever still needed it. Engine feels great and the leakdown test corroborates that. Just a shame she's drinking her own blood. I can imagine what my nice clean intake manifold looks like now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
As requested:
hP1b0xx.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361277183267
The LED license plate bolts I bought turned out to be unnecessary, as the camera comes equipped with license lighting. Gasket it came with was extremely thick, which required another pair of hands to reach inside with a screwdriver and pull the clip inside while I pressed on the camera.

Pretty cheap at $25, are you happy with the quality? It's a nice looking unit, did the mounting holes on the car line up with the mounting bracket on the camera?

Sorry to hear about your luck with the motor, if you found that they mixed up the seals are you going to take it back to them to fix?

Sino

Reaction score
Build quality on the backup camera looks pretty damn good for the price. The dimensions are a perfect fit, the only difficulty was the gasket was so thick it was tough to push the clips through. In hindsight I should probably have run a tire over the gasket first lol. Haven't had the chance to wire it up yet but when I got it I quickly tested it and the video looked pretty decent. Not much different from the OEM camera on my mom's '13 Pilot. I'll post video whenever I finish it up.

As far as the engine, I'd rather try it myself so I don't have to take the cylinder head off. Not sure I trust them to get it right either. Definitely going to talk to them though. At the very least the owner should know whoever did the work isn't doing his business any favors.

Sino

Reaction score
Figured since the car's sitting I'd get started on replacing the fuel filter. Bit more of a pain in the *** to get it out than I anticipated; service manual useful as wet TP. There's a plastic clip on the side of the assembly holding a couple of hoses and I couldn't get one hose off so I ended up finagling the clip out. Some pics:

No idea how it got so dirty in there, looks pretty much closed off.
UxzktBK.jpg

Thing's more complicated than I thought.
jNqH4cT.jpg

Back