Enne's 1999 Accord LX sedan 2.3 L - Selene

Enne

Reaction score
unless you get lucky and have someone with a conscious, they simply are going to ignore defacing your car as wrong as it is morally.

I have encountered at least one person with a conscience. Too bad it was when I was driving my crappy minivan and not any time Selene was damaged...

I was coming out of a store and once I got to my van, a girl came running over to me. I then noticed a little piece of neon green paper under the van's wiper blade. The girl explained that she had bumped into the rear bumper of the van and wanted to make sure I got her note. It had her name, phone number and insurance info. She seemed genuinely sorry about it.

I walked back to inspect the damage. The spot she bumped into had missing/cracked paint for a couple of years. She must have thought she caused that. Her car (an old Nissan) was okay. I told her it was alright, no big deal, and I thanked her for being honest. TBH she could have actually damaged it and I wouldn't have cared. The thing wasn't pretty to begin with and filling an insurance claim would just be a waste of time, and probably hurt her premium. Her honestly was worth more than that.

I have honestly never hit another person's car. But if I do I intend to pay it forward like that girl did.

My friend's boyfriend accidentally backed into Selene's left rear quarter panel last year in their driveway, while I was there hanging out. He was leaving for work, it was dark and he didn't see my black car sitting at the edge as he backed out. He came back inside with his head hung low, and said "I totally just backed into your car. I am so sorry. Good lord."

So we all went out there. He had cracked the outer tail light housing and the dip on the quarter panel was scraped, but the paint was fine underneath. The dip took the hit! I didn't want his insurance to go up because of an honest accident, so when he asked if he should call his company, I said no, it's okay. He offered to pay for whatever I needed, and I asked him for $35 to buy a new tail light lens. I had a new one in two days later. Someone hit Selene in the exact same spot a few weeks later.

Though, the other person hitting me was a different story. They side swiped me trying to pass me on a single lane street, as I was preparing to back into a parking spot. I was stopped about halfway on the road, about to parallel park the car. People are supposed to stop and wait for you to move out of the way, but this person slowed down slightly, couldn't move to the left any farther because of the oncoming traffic, then kept driving and scraped the left side of the bumper and wheel well, hard. Then they just kept on driving. So I chased them back to their house, because even with me putting my hazard lights on and waving out the window for them to pull over, they wouldn't. I mentally prepared myself for a fight when they finally stopped in front of a house. My face was burning hot and my heart was pounding in anger. I pulled up next to them and rolled my passenger side window down.

An old lady was sitting there in that 2008 Civic.

Ugh.

When she figured out that she had actually hit me and not just gone around, she tried to accuse me of hitting her car. With my wheel well, apparently. There was black transfer on her outside right front bumper, and scrapes on my car from the side of the rear bumper up to the rear left door. Pretty easy to tell who did what, but they persisted to their insurance company that it was my fault. This lady clearly did not know how insurance works, because she was saying I'd have to pay her $250 deductible and for the repairs. I work at a large insurance company, so I kept my mouth shut and let her accuse me of the damages. I called my company and filed a claim too. With a photo of the damage to my car.

A few days later, her insurance sent an adjuster out, and after a few phone interviews they accepted liability. And hopefully that lady learned her lesson about how insurance works, and how lying to them is not a good thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I park far away everywhere I go, offering to drop off any passengers at the door of course. Next option is find a good end spot and fold the mirror. If it's a small lot that's full, I park in an adjacent lot that is more empty. Last resort, I find the nicest two cars that are parked well, and park between them. I try to never park next to trashy vehicles, vehicles that have bigger doors, and I stay the hell away from minivans or SUV's that look to carry kids.

It seems like you just can't have anything nice any more, because idiots just don't give a crap.:banghead:

This

Enne

Reaction score
Unfortunately, these last two damages happened right in front of my apartment. I have to park on the street. There's no lot or driveway for me to use.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Unfortunately, these last two damages happened right in front of my apartment. I have to park on the street. There's no lot or driveway for me to use.

Yeah, having to park on the street just sucks. Not to mention unless you're watching your stuff you're not very likely to catch anyone damaging your car. I haven't had to park on a street for my residence in 37 years. Don't miss it 1 bit. But gravel driveways make it hard to keep the cars clean, especially after it rains, or after the snow melts. And if you have a dark colored car (or truck) dust makes it look even worse (last summer's pollen drop turned my green 97 yellow).

But it still boils down to the fact you can't really have anything nice because people just don't care about stuff.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Though, the other person hitting me was a different story.

An old lady was sitting there in that 2008 Civic.

Ugh.

When she figured out that she had actually hit me and not just gone around, she tried to accuse me of hitting her car. With my wheel well, apparently. There was black transfer on her outside right front bumper, and scrapes on my car from the side of the rear bumper up to the rear left door. Pretty easy to tell who did what, but they persisted to their insurance company that it was my fault. This lady clearly did not know how insurance works, because she was saying I'd have to pay her $250 deductible and for the repairs. I work at a large insurance company, so I kept my mouth shut and let her accuse me of the damages. I called my company and filed a claim too. With a photo of the damage to my car.

A few days later, her insurance sent an adjuster out, and after a few phone interviews they accepted liability. And hopefully that lady learned her lesson about how insurance works, and how lying to them is not a good thing to do.

I wonder if her kids made her take a vision test when she went to renew her drivers license? You drive around town, and look at the "rolling wrecks" and wonder to yourself how did they do that? Like I said, my wife's car has all 4 corners scraped up, and it's not from her (damn PO's).

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Got a balcony or window facing where you park? Could always set up one of those kits with a surveillance camera you can use with your smartphone.

Enne

Reaction score
Got a balcony or window facing where you park? Could always set up one of those kits with a surveillance camera you can use with your smartphone.
I have a window that I can look right down into the street from. I also have a dash cam but it will only start recording with the G sensor after it detects a hit...doesn't really help for a hit and run.

Enne

Reaction score
Put on new rear struts and sway bar links today, along with the rear deck speakers. Had to cut a few of the 18 year old sway bar link bolts off, like we did with the fronts the first time we replaced them. We did manage to get two out without cutting this time. I had to make an AutoZone run to get sway bar links once we realized the old ones weren't coming off without damaging them.

But we got that done and I finished the speakers, all before it got dark out today. We did pretty good. Test drive went well.

7e8b8513b9287f732c11ad531aeb2527.jpg
3e22671219d2a1f7df0ecd948d772a22.jpg
2fe4150989dfd4aa65e1a3633b0b117a.jpg

If it's not too cold/windy tomorrow (it was in the 50s all day today so it was bearable), I might paint the windshield wiper arms. Been meaning to do that for a while now.

Enne

Reaction score
Some fuel mileage data on Selene.
e1750e9f62dd9b7e956acd34f8947f8c.jpg

Connie

Reaction score
Nice work! But it looks like you need to have a look at your rear brakes ASAP, those rotors look ruined!

Parking on the street does suck, I did it for years before I was finally able to buy my house.
The lack of respect people have for another person's property sucks.

I've been in the car (parked) and had someone drive into me in parking lots 3 times in Connie.
People look at how damaged it already is and just drive away. They just don't get it. No respect. Doesn't matter if it already has dents, accept responsibility for what you have done, be it a Ferrari or an 85 Chevette! I watched a lady leave her shopping cart beside her car, hit it with her mirror as she left, then she watched it roll down the hill and right into my car. Hard. It left 2 big dents right in front of the gas tank door. She watched it all happen, saw me see her, then drove away like nothing had happened.

People are unbelievable sometimes.

Back