Frankensteins Official Thread

capsidx

Reaction score
They both look really clean. I almost forgot what the car looks like without a wing lol. Im not a fan of the gold ones though. For some reason the elderly seem to be driving this exact model and color well below the speed limit without the use of blinkers . Otherwise yours are really clean and well maintained from what I can see. I only wish I had paint like that. How are your engine bays?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Rambling is always appreciated, it's how we make friends lol. Honda was weird with tranny's back in the late 90s or more specifically the 6th gen. The automatic transmissions were notorious for failing while the manual transmission virtually never failed. I have to agree with on how the car looks. It has an aggressive stance, the classic Honda teardrop headlights and taillights . These cars had power windows (something only high end luxury cars had) and had some of the most advanced features available on cars at the time. Honda sold these cars for a fraction of the price of the higher end cars and we got an amazing bargain . Not only did you get a beautiful interior, amazing offset colors, well fitting trim pieces, comfortable seats which lasted, everything you need within reach, and an in control feel but you got a sporty engine and a really really smooth ride that most cars still can't produce.

New cars annoy me because it seems like we're going backwards. More plastic in the motor, parts failing sooner and catastrophic failures costing lives like the GM scandal. I like to hear my car too so there's one thing I love. Not overly sound deadened, just right.

You owning an antique Volkswagen says you put up with a lot of maintainence issues lol. I'm not a fan of the 5th generation or any of the newer ones. My girlfriend's sister has a 2015 and I hate everything about it except the shift knob, (A/T). Other than that I don't like it. I heard a horror story where this guy was driving a 9th gen Civic and his crankshaft broke in half on the highway. Honda says it was his fault lol. This is one reason I refuse to buy a new car. If I had to get a newer one id literally only go 1 gen higher lol

I just could never understand how Honda, a company built on the name of reliability could produce the Auto trans used in the 6th gen Accord, and knowingly sell it to the public. I realize that the numbers probably were evenly split on the 4 cylinders (AT vs MT), but the V6 cars only got the AT. This means if you have a V6 your days were numbered on when you were going to have a trans failure. It was more of a when, rather than if. The info I researched tells me that the I4 cars with AT went further (a lot further) than the V6 cars before you had a trans failure. But I'd really like to know what Honda did from 97 to 98 on the trans, as I bet that's part of the key to why they fail.
The MT is a bullet proof combo, which is why I was looking for a 5 speed car when I went shopping for myself.
My wife originally thought I was buying the 00 Accord for me, until I handed her the key. She thought she was getting my daily beater Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla clone), but what I was doing was giving her a very nice upgraded car to drive. I drove the Geo for another year plus, before I bought the 97 as an upgrade for myself. But after looking at both cars sitting in the driveway, I decided I wanted to try and find a 6th gen for myself. I wasn't looking very hard though, as the 5th gen Accord is a really nice car to drive, and all it needed after 4 months was an exhaust replacement (was thin in spots when I bought it) as it kept getting louder and louder every time I drove it.
But the 6th gen seems more of an upgrade to the 5th gen, in that it's wider in the "greenhouse" area, and a couple of inches wider in the door/hip area, which helps it feel more spacious even though it's only 3 cubic feet bigger inside, and built on the same wheel base. :O But, the body design looks dated, compared to the 6th gen. Don't get me wrong, I love the design of the 6th gen Accord. I think the sedan is the best looking body style too, as it really doesn't look like a 4 door due to the moulding around the windows, but it is. There's a lot of room in the back seat too (we've had 3 full size adults in the back of my wife's car) which is nice, and a huge trunk (go out on a 10 day trip with 3 adults) ;), and a car that WILL run at 80 mph all day long with the cruise set, and the AC on and you've got the ultimate cruise mobile. Now that's something I love, and can get behind the wheel of.

As for newer cars going backward, I think it's more to help idiot drivers than anything. Cars were meant to be driven, which means using your eyes, ears, and your other senses to keep it going down the road in the correct lane. It wasn't meant for you to let the thing "self drive" while you're on your phone or texting. You took control of the steering wheel, which means you're responsible or your actions behind it, NOT the computer. Try and find a car today that doesn't have some sort of computer in it. You can't, unless you buy a used one from the early to mid 70's or even before that. I've got an 80 TA on the rotisserie here that had a small ECU in it for spark control due to having a turbo (it's an 80 TA Indy pace car).

Yes, owning an old air cooled VW means I used to working on the car to keep it in tip top condition. I've done long drives in it (16.5 hours straight), and gone to many states as well. It was built as a cruiser back in 1999 when I got it off e-bay, and fully went thru it. Don't get me wrong, I've done a ton of repair work to it over the years, starting with rust repair to brakes, to engine and fuel systems, to interior work. When I got it, it was a step or 2 above a "parts car". Now it's a couple of steps below "show car", which is fine with me as I didn't build it to show, I built it to drive. :)

I'm not really interested in buying a new car, or even a newer car. Our 99 and 00 are about as new as I want. The 99 replaced my 97 Accord which replaced my 97 S-10. I've got an 06 full size pick up too, but it mostly sits in the back yard, as you can't get 4 people in the cab (standard cab 8 ft box). That was thing around here, I either had a good 2 person hauler, or a small bus (GM Astro mini van) to haul people or stuff in. The only car (actual car) was either my Geo, or my VW's. So, I sold my other VW (it went to the UK) and bought my wife's 2000 Honda Accord. Then I sold my truck and bought my 2nd Honda Accord (the 97). Then I came across the 99 for sale, and bought my 3rd Honda Accord. Now, I just want to keep the 2 6th gens, off the 5th gen, and get caught up on vehicle maintenance of everything else sitting here.
:henry:

capsidx

Reaction score
I totally agree with everything you said. Too many assists in new cars make the car more in control than the driver . I will admit that OBD2 can be a pain in the soul because of all the sensors. I'm a young guy so performance is important to my ego. No vtec makes for a very non has friendly almost unbearably slow drive. One sensor goes bad and it can cripple your car.

I've never had the pleasure of owning an older car than this but I have heard they handle like boats unless you change out the suspension. Honestly I know there are other cars out there and I want to keep this one forever as it's my first car. Is that realistic? I don't know but what I do know is anything is possible.

The 5 speed transmission is the first manual I've driven and I have to say without vtec it's useless. With vtec you REALLY feel the difference, especially in the 5 mt.

I think the best course for us 6th gen owners is keep up with maintenance, update the interior to make it a little modern to keep up with current technology , ie Bluetooth calling etc.., and once the motor goes, rebuild it and enjoy for another 20 or so years .

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
They both look really clean. I almost forgot what the car looks like without a wing lol. Im not a fan of the gold ones though. For some reason the elderly seem to be driving this exact model and color well below the speed limit without the use of blinkers . Otherwise yours are really clean and well maintained from what I can see. I only wish I had paint like that. How are your engine bays?

Well, I was looking for either a white or a silver Accord when I bought hers. The reasoning behind the light color is so I can see if it's starting to rust. And yes, there are at least 6 other gold 98-02 Accords around town, as I've seen them while out and about. Yes, the elderly seem to like that color, but I think it has more to do with hiding road dirt, as that color does a very good job of hiding it.:) As for driving below the speed limit and not using blinkers, a gold Accord is not the only vehicles around town that do it. There's plenty of blame to go to other car makes too.
The paint on the gold one is in pretty decent shape (original except the hood). It had been owned by an older person who had trouble getting in/out of the garage, as the corners of the bumpers are scratched down to the plastic, and I replaced (and painted) the hood with a clean Texas hood. It does have it's bumps and bruises though, but it's 17 years old and has 236K miles on it.
As for the 99 DEP green car, all I've done is hit it with some cleaner wax twice so far. I believe it's been partly repainted though (front clip or at least the hood), as there are a couple of "tells" that I can see. Both are fairly clean under the hood as well, and some pics are in my members threads (1 for each car). But, I've been cleaning up the dirt as I go under there.

capsidx

Reaction score
Have you tried super clean? I scrubbed my engine and Tranny with that and they're silver again lol

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I totally agree with everything you said. Too many assists in new cars make the car more in control than the driver . I will admit that OBD2 can be a pain in the soul because of all the sensors. I'm a young guy so performance is important to my ego. No vtec makes for a very non has friendly almost unbearably slow drive. One sensor goes bad and it can cripple your car.

I've never had the pleasure of owning an older car than this but I have heard they handle like boats unless you change out the suspension. Honestly I know there are other cars out there and I want to keep this one forever as it's my first car. Is that realistic? I don't know but what I do know is anything is possible.

The 5 speed transmission is the first manual I've driven and I have to say without vtec it's useless. With vtec you REALLY feel the difference, especially in the 5 mt.

I think the best course for us 6th gen owners is keep up with maintenance, update the interior to make it a little modern to keep up with current technology , ie Bluetooth calling etc.., and once the motor goes, rebuild it and enjoy for another 20 or so years .

Well, living in the "salt belt", keeping rust away is the number 1 thing in my book. Everything else can be replaced as needed, but sever rust is a death knell. Yes, you can cut and weld in new metal (been doing that to my Geo for years). I can't say whether vtec is the end all be all, as my 97 doesn't have it, and it runs just fine (6K redline), where you just barely notice the vtec king in at 3K, on your way up to 6K and redline. That F22B2 16 valve motor isn't a slouch either. And you're only dealing with 100 cc's less than a F23A motor. Remember, if it isn't there, it can't break.
But keeping up the maintenance will go a long way, keeping it out of the salt goes a very long way, so there are some things you can do to help get some mileage out of it. You don't have to get a job 100 miles away to rack up the odometer either. Just keeping it does wonders. Oil changes are a big part of that.
Some day I'll replace the stock radio with a CD player, and it'll only be 10 or so years behind.:henry:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Have you tried super clean? I scrubbed my engine and Tranny with that and they're silver again lol

I haven't gotten that carried away yet. I've got a ton of other stuff to do before I get to that. Plus if it's a little dirty under there, that means I haven't had to work on it. :)

capsidx

Reaction score
I have a CD player in mine and never use it. I believe I have 6 CDs lol. Im moving back to Florida in 8 months for good so I plan on scraping off the undercoating and applying the most liberal coat of undercoating in honda history . I'll do this before I go to save my car .
I would love to have a double din in my car for GPS etc but that's a ways off.

capsidx

Reaction score
Update:

I moved the battery over and removed the battery tray to add more space to the engine bay. The battery mount in the side is made from two old radiator support brackets and turned out nicely. They work great.

104f07c8c0885caf8ec77c5fb5f92e34.jpg
df98df192a183d0bc416d1626cbd2702.jpg
57f414965bdafa1e84e0a72ec7a00674.jpg
0cf8870297c0ce4cf43fc5fc3575526f.jpg

capsidx

Reaction score
Thanks to Richard aka Sil2DrV6 for the formatting idea and having one of the cleanest 6th gens around.

A lot of people probably read my 5 speed swap story and had a good laugh at my expense. All good lol. For those who didn't, I basically didn't fully bleed the clutch and drove through the garage door lol. So here's my 6th gen. Got it for 300 dollars with a failing auto trans. Since I did my first oil change I've spent almost all my money getting this car healthy again.

Engine: F23a4 ULEV

Engine parts:
* Spectre cold air intake
* Spectre valve cover vent filter
* Denso radiator cap
* NGK iridium spark plugs
* NGK spark plug wires

Transmission:
* 5 speed F23a manual transmission (converted from A/T)
* Duralast clutch kit :( for now
* Excedy clutch slave cylinder
* Duralast clutch master cylinder (their parts aren't that bad lol)
* Cardone drivers side half shaft
* Cardone passenger side axle

Brakes:
* Raybestos front rotors
* Raybestos ceramic brake pads
* Raybestos rear drum shoes
* Raybestos rear brake cylinder (right)

Cosmetics:
* Front bumper stitches
* 95 Toyota Camry wing
* Avs wind visors (sides)
* Spec D tuning headlights

Suspension:
* Moog front sway bar links
* Moog outer tie rod ends
* Moog upper control arm w/ball joint (right)
* Moog sway bar link bushings

Exhaust:
* Megan racing 4-2-1 headers
* Flowmaster universal high flow cat
* Exhaust pipe scavenged from another car(Frankenstein exhaust lol)
* Flowmaster 40 series muffler

Interior:
* OEM cloth seats
* Custom crap window tint
* Installed manual 99 accord brake pedal
* Installed manual 99 accord clutch pedal
* Installed OEM shift knob and boot
* Installed Manual ECU from 99 accord (so ghetto it deserves its own thread)
* Sony radio
* "Custom" center console charging hub
* Aux cable routed under console to inside center console
* Rubbermaid vent pouch
* Febreze vent mounted air freshners
* Iequuis oil pressure gauge
* Iequuis pillar mounted gauge pod
* Sylvania zevo LED door bulbs (6418)
* OEM woodgrain center console lid
* OEM woodgrain dash bezel
* Sylvania Zevo LED Dome light
** The most shady wiring ever

Fluids:
* Honda genuine manual transmission fluid
* Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w30 motor oil
* Rain X windshield washer fluid
* Valvoline DOT 3 brake fluid (clutch & brake)
* Prestone 50/50 antifreeze
* Honda genuine power steering fluid

Maintenance:

A lot was performed recently

Drivetrain:
* Driver's side axle (186,XXX)
* Passengers side axle (186,XXX)
* Clutch installed (186,XXX)
* Driver's side wheel hub (184,XXX)

Engine:
* Heater core coolant hose (171,XXX)
* Oil change (172,XXX)
* Intake manifold deep cleaned (174,XXX) (not fun)
* Rocker arms and shaft cleaned (174,XXX) (definitely not fun)
* Oil pan gasket replaced (179,XXX)
* Oil change (180,XXX)
* Coolant flush (184,XXX)
* Valve cover replaced(185,XXX)
* Clutch fluid flush (186,XXX)
* Brake flush (186,XXX)
* Winshield wiper fluid fill (186,XXX)

O-rings/Seals:
* Thermostat housing o ring (17X,XXX)
* Radiator drain plug o ring (180,XXX)
* Distributor inner seal (18X,XXX)
* Rear main seal(185,XXX)
* Vtec solenoid body o rings (185,XXX)
* Distributor shaft o ring (186,XXX)(5 times, ended up sealing with rtv, still leaking)
* Valve cover gasket (186,XXX)
* Drivers side axle seal (186,XXX)

Body and chassis:
* Lower control arm (18X,XXX) (right)(bent)
* Upper control arm w/ball joint (18X,XXX) (right)
* Hood (182,XXX)
* Drivers side mirror(182,XXX)
* Subframe (18X,XXX)
* New Windshield (Front)
* Front sway bar links (18X,XXX)
* Front tie rod ends (186,XXX)
* Front and rear sway bar link bushings (185,XXX)

Electrical:
* ECT sensor (171,XXX)
* MAP sensor (173,XXX)
* Battery replacement (185,XXX)
* TPS sensor (186,XXX)
* VSS sensor (186,XXX)
* Fuel rail harness tuck (186XXX)
* Passenger side headlight, radiator, horn,AC compressor / condenser harness tuck (186,XXX)
* Battery tray removed (186,XXX)
* Battery moved http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1095797
* TPS, vtec pressure switch, vtec solenoid, map and distributor harness tuck (186,XXX)

Wheels and Tires:
* Stock steelies with OEM wheel covers
* Douglass Wal Mart tires lol ( no track days)

Goals & Advice:
Trying to prove people wrong and make this a sporty family sedan. I wanted to keep the car low profile so no body kits, no crazy Mugen wheels or eBay lips kits. The goal is to leave the outside as is (with the exception of the wing because it looks horrible imo without it) and focus on the chassis and engine.

I don't plan on going crazy and building a 700 wheel horsepower ride. Just an easy going daily with enough power to dominate most sports cars on the road ( I don't encourage speeding or fart cans).

I don't plan on doing a motor swap either. I want to build a turbo kit for the f23 motor since they are relatively inexpensive​ and take a lot of abuse. However, before any of that the car needs to be in peak condition which it isn't right now so go fast parts will have to wait.

To the younger guys who don't consider maintenance important , please do. Your car will thank you in the long run. Take the time to do it right and hopefully only one time as opposed to a bunch of times because you ignored maintainence and went straight to performance. 90s Honda motors are amazing and take plenty of abuse but they aren't indestructible.

Want to know anything? Just ask. Want me to do a thread on something? Just ask lol.

Ps: I added some funnies in the photos. Yes it fell off while I was driving.
32a05adface4f72e3c7f4f2d839ea397.jpg
c874951e4e2ac429c499cd207ee001da.jpg
88989c648fd0f2ccf6098d9c20bc53d3.jpg
b4f2669e6c7d0ec2c175de3bd1b420b7.jpg
[]
2e5bf8778397c52e526d7841715b4c82.jpg
6b82ff4fd4dc28d62bea5b2566591e3a.jpg
4f35e48ad3a336f23f13c757878d75d3.jpg
86fe6b0b19571eccd4f25e892aebf3f6.jpg
5bef9ca59dbb90d213510f7c56325ef1.jpg
58ff6bdc66c9708e6cdcfc937d67e17a.jpg
27cf67dd070429bf84851f4a71d03655.jpg
a14acc6b8ce8108ccd6e2c2f750e945b.jpg
7399a4b9a6009fd7da14f6c0bdf9c457.jpg
0a9291ba0166d93b2447b78caf346ffc.jpg
39b55f0dfcba5e6cedb9c7d0d8d1b1c3.jpg
99f0965da272f9ac3bb89eaee1141818.jpg
3339cf20e404bebf0bea0474311e113b.jpg
4ef7b1bb48954e59602fb9c40c39a031.jpg
642c682ccba8a70155abee6d3d9d07ea.jpg
d4bd7f5d2d60ce7e8dabe4644a281f8b.jpg

Update:

I moved the battery over and removed the battery tray to add more space to the engine bay. The battery mount in the side is made from two old radiator support brackets and turned out nicely. They work great.

104f07c8c0885caf8ec77c5fb5f92e34.jpg
df98df192a183d0bc416d1626cbd2702.jpg
57f414965bdafa1e84e0a72ec7a00674.jpg
0cf8870297c0ce4cf43fc5fc3575526f.jpg

Back