Brake Line leaking

lithiumus

Reaction score
There were spots where the the lines met and leaked. The amount of torque required was definitely more that I thought would be required and esp. if you are trying to loosen/tighten an old fitting with very little room... an open ended wrench will slip and begin to round the edges.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging this up from the dead, but I thought I'd add in that if you didn't want to double flare on your own or aren't comfortable trying to make a double flare, you can buy steel lines with fittings attached. This is a better alternative to using a compression fitting(s). So that all you need is to bend your new lines to the correct shapes, and add a coupling or 2. Also, the end fittings you're going to need will be called Japanese metric, which is different from SAE (standard US), or German metric. I know, because I ran into this when I did my wife's 2000 Accord. In my case I bought 7 lengths of SAE 3/16ths line (5ft each), along with 5 couplers, and some adapters (SAE to Japanese metric) to replace the brake lines. I had 110 bucks into it with a 25 ft roll of 5/16ths steel line (a coil), and a foot of 5/16ths FI hose. I figured that if I'm going in there to replace the lines, I'm replacing ALL of them in that plastic tray, as the last thing I wanted to do, was fix the brake lines, only to have to go back in a year later and do the fuel lines. I live in the salt belt, and rusty lines are common. I'll tell you 1 thing, working on the lines in the engine compartment was the worst part of the whole job. Going around the rear sub wasn't bad, nor was getting the plastic track off. I removed a couple of items up torward the master cylinder to get me some arm and hand room to work. My arms were already pretty scratched up by the time I figured out what was going on. I had 3 afternoons in that job,working part time on it. I can say it's been almost 2 years now since I did it, and we've had no issues either. I did have to use some zip ties to help hold the lines to the track, but it all worked out great.
I have a strong feeling I'll be doing this with my 99 Accord, as I've got to pull the rear sub out of it, so I can change the rusty fuel tank.

Last edited:
Back