H23 idle noise faulty water pump?

nathan007

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm preparing my Accord for the season, and noticed when my car gets warm I get a really weird noise at idle; some kind of 'woo woo woo' that cycles. If I get up a few rpm's it goes away. I took the time to try different timing belt tightness settings but no different result. Here a quick video I took, watcha think?

https://youtu.be/RZAhy75L3K8

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

dawg316

Reaction score
could be a fualty timing idler bearing or one of the timing belt pullys bearings going out. hard to tell from the video but is the sound coming from inside the timing case?

you can drop the regular alternator powersteering belt for a quick sec and run the car and see if the sound goes away to help isolate the problem

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yup, pull the other belt off, and make another vid. Otherwise, I'd say you might have the timing belt too tight.

nathan007

Reaction score
I only ran with alternator belt, definitely not coming from that, I do not run a balancer belt. Noise is extra loud with a stethoscope at the timing belt idler body, part 18 on the following Honda parts sheet, and some from the water pump, especially when I test it trough the water pipe under intake manifold.

nathan007

Reaction score
Here
ce26b9c77a36f97c623d47aab1e381ba.jpg

dawg316

Reaction score
take off the timing belt ( mark everything before removing)

and just give it a spin by and and if it sounds like a noisy roller skate theres your problem
also check for play by grabbing the idler at 3 oclock and 9 oclick and rock it . seee if it has play

nathan007

Reaction score
I'll just drive it for a bit and order a water pump and idler and replace them sometime, while keeping an ear out for increasing noise lol

Back