Location of Sunroof Relays?

matt10084

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, let me know.

Title, pretty much. Where are the two relays (NOT the fuses, unless they are one in the same. Everywhere I've looked makes them seem like 2 separate parts. Places online say it's the driver side dash fuse/relay box...) for the sunroof on a 1999 EX coupe? Trying to see if those are the problem with it not working. Used to work just fine before and motor seemed to operate okay.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
mqu3UNz.jpg

RsZfnYG.jpg

iSjXTQA.jpg

matt10084

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you so much!

So.. I tried to swap the relays like many have online, but that didn't work...

I might buy just one new relay to test with, but if that doesn't do it, anyone have any other suggestions on what to try next...?

james'99

Reaction score
I highly doubt both relays are blown. If you swapped them and it didn't work, its something else. Have a multimeter?

matt10084

Reaction score
Hmm..

But yeah, I've got a multimeter. Not sure if I tested it correctly, but I set it on the 200 ohms setting and connected it to the only two silver prongs. The others look copper.
I got readings of 117 and 119..

This seem right or no..?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Hmm..

But yeah, I've got a multimeter. Not sure if I tested it correctly, but I set it on the 200 ohms setting and connected it to the only two silver prongs. The others look copper.
I got readings of 117 and 119..

This seem right or no..?

That was to the relay? I am not sure what that should be. But anyway. Regardless. when the key is turned on, one pin of the relay should always have 12V with respect to ground at all times. Use bare metal as your ground. And this time, you are not checking the relay for voltage, you are checking the wiring going to the relay. See if you can find that 12V pin. My guess would be it isn't there. Have you checked all of your fuses?

matt10084

Reaction score
That was to the relay? I am not sure what that should be. But anyway. Regardless. when the key is turned on, one pin of the relay should always have 12V with respect to ground at all times. Use bare metal as your ground. And this time, you are not checking the relay for voltage, you are checking the wiring going to the relay. See if you can find that 12V pin. My guess would be it isn't there. Have you checked all of your fuses?

I've checked all the fuses. I haven't used the multimeter on the sockets the relays plug into yet though. What should the multimeter be set to, just DCV?

And the new relay came in, but nothing moved or worked. I could hear the relay clicking any time I pressed the buttons on the switch for the sunroof though, so it's active.

james'99

Reaction score
I've checked all the fuses. I haven't used the multimeter on the sockets the relays plug into yet though. What should the multimeter be set to, just DCV?

And the new relay came in, but nothing moved or worked. I could hear the relay clicking any time I pressed the buttons on the switch for the sunroof though, so it's active.

Check for DC volts at the connector going to the sunroof motor. Could be possible the motor is bad. No sense checking voltage everywhere else especially if you don't know what is happening right at the motor. The fact that the relay is clicking is telling me the relay is fine but one of two this is wrong. A. the motor is bad. B. the relay is not receiving it's constant 12V to pass through.

matt10084

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up this old post again.

So, I've had my relays out since, you know, doesn't work. Decided to pop them back in and get some stuff put back together and decided to just try to see if the sunroof would work.

Well, at first, I don't think it did from what I remember. But, I cranked the sunroof all the way open manually with the tool, turned the car on, and tried to close it.

What do you know, it worked! So, I tried to use the tilt feature. When the motor started going, it was making an almost squealing sound and only slightly moved. A pressed it a couple of times, and eventually if fully tilted. Then I was able to close it again.

And it stopped working.
I decided to crank it open manually again. It closed fine. Then opened fine. I would be able to to that a few times (didn't ever use tilt) before it just decided to not want to close.

The weird part is, it would seem to work again for a few times after cranking it all the way or about halfway open.

Any thoughts? Or just a bad motor?

Thanks

Hondararri

Reaction score
Mine tilts fine but slow to open and very slow to close and needs help closing with hand pulling any thoughts ? 2000 sedan

Back