Best 6x9 for accord?

liveryt

Reaction score
I've been looking at different 6x9s to replace the factory's in the rear deck. I already put kenwood excelons 6.5 for the doors, and they sound great. I wanted to match them by putting excelons in the rear deck. research tells me that they sound good, but they don't produce any bass. So my question is, what sounds good in the rear deck?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'll tell you this. Installation is 80% of the end result.

I proved this to many people by showing them the clarity and depth of sound a 40 dollar pair of Kenwood 6x8 two ways could sound compare to 200 dollar Memphis 6.5 component sets.

Think of the sheet metal as a very poorly built flimsy resonating speaker box. The sound energy that the speaker creates goes to vibrating and shaking the metal surrounding it. If you add sound damping material (dynamite/peelnseal/whatever) to make the most solid "enclosure" you can, the sound energy is transferred to the air and to your ears instead of shaking and vibrating the metal/panels of the car.

In summary my cheap set of 6x8 were mounted on triple layer inside door panel and single layer outside panel. SOLID. Shutting the front doors was a solid thud and no thin twangy clunk.

My 2 ways destroyed the 200 dollar components simply because my friend had no sound damping. His doors were thin metal and the speakers sounded like crap with no definition and Mid bass at all. Mine sounded like I had an 8" sub up front when I simply had a solid enclosure for a decent set of speakers.

You can buy the most expensive set of speakers but they will never sound good if they are mounted on thin flimsy twangy metal.

Solid wood door > thin cardboard interior door.

Food for thought. Sorry for the long winded post but I like to inform people that installation makes the biggest difference and that you don't need high end stuff to sound good. I have also destroyed people with 2-15" subs with my single 12" sub on half the power. Reason being my enclosure was custom designed by me for my vehicle and was muh more efficient.

Just like tuning and engine. You can have the best parts but if it isn't tuned right it won't run at its full potential.

Chichi

Reaction score
Nam1911 that was the best and most helpful answers I ever see, even this hard head understand but now my car with some sort of thing stick to the doors and metal of the trunk I was thinking that It was silicone of fill for something do you think that help the sound?

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Products like dynamat are helpful for damping the resonating issues with sheet metal, and when applied appropriately will do a great job of improving your sound. There are less expensive alternative products which also do a good job, but you do have to realize that large sheets, like the rear deck, or door panels are going to have flex and resonance issues, and nothing that you just peel and stick is going to completely remove these.

I've built some excellent car systems, but a car is always a very harsh environment for sound, and will always have some issues.

cg4ever

Reaction score
Was in the search for 6x9 as well and since i'm not running any amp and don't want one either, i'm so with a 30Wrms x4 head unit and i wanted speakers among those lines.

Thing is nowadays factory head units are more powerful than 2 decades ago and most modern cars even have an amp from factory as well. Reason i am saying this is because todays 6x9 matches those modern specs and its very difficult to found any 6x9 under 50W rms...

I also wanted to stick with a 1 way or 2 way max, 3 way and over for the back is i think overkill. So after a long search i found a little gem, some 35W rms brand new 2 way Philips GTM 6920. Good thing is that the tweeter is 2" instead of 1" so more in the midrange field which is perfect for the rear. Btw highly praised speakers back then.

Last edited:
Back