Transmission alternatives?

R3dC4p

Reaction score
Mainly money. A j series swap with ECU and necessary things costs a whole lot more than a new f23 and tranny. I can get the engine with transmission attached for between 500-750, and then turbo it later for less than a grand. ends up coming out just shy of a j swap depending on where I source my parts, and less labor. I was just curious as to whether there was a bolt on that was a little more stout. Though as I understand from reasearch, running 8lbs or less, I should be good.

R3dC4p

Reaction score
Haha. I understand that, but the up front cost for a J-swap is significantly higher, and therefore harder to pull of on a budget than a small boost on the f23, and it's a lot more labor intensive. While I could pull it off, I simply don't have the time or the money to drop all at once on it, and by the time I saved up, there is a good chance that the engine will fail, and I'd end up not quite having enough and I'd have to put another f23 in anyhow.

Gradfien

Reaction score
Haha. I understand that, but the up front cost for a J-swap is significantly higher, and therefore harder to pull of on a budget than a small boost on the f23, and it's a lot more labor intensive. While I could pull it off, I simply don't have the time or the money to drop all at once on it, and by the time I saved up, there is a good chance that the engine will fail, and I'd end up not quite having enough and I'd have to put another f23 in anyhow.
I'm not sure boost is the cheaper option. I went into my turbo project planning on spending 2000. 5000+ dollars later i finaly have it working but its still far from ideal. To do it over 5000 is a good budget for a reliable low boost build. 3000 might get it if you use an fmu but it's not as reliable.
I hate to talk people out of the 6th gen accords, but the 7th gen v6's are powerful and reliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I do wish to swap in a j35 one day. Maybe the awd system from the pilot too. Oh but that will be a decade from now lol

Gradfien

Reaction score
I do wish to swap in a j35 one day. Maybe the awd system from the pilot too. Oh but that will be a decade from now lol
My dream was the acura tl sh-awd. I think there is a year (2010?) with a 3.7l manual awd but it is ugly imo, so i want to swap it into a 6th gen, and add a turbo while im at it.

If you do decide to turbo I would be willing to give advice. I just have found that how to turbo tutorials and pricing are deceptive.

Last edited:

R3dC4p

Reaction score
I mean, I could stay NA, do I/E/H, and a tune, but then I would only be netting around 170. Maybe. On a really good day. If I could poke 200 na without tearing apart the engine, I would, I just don't think it's feasible. Also, one of the reasons I'm set on low boost is that I live near a upull that happens to have a few nice small turbos sitting lonely in cars. And as for seventh generation..... I wish. The sixth gen was given to me fo' free. Gift horse, mouth. Lol

Connie

Reaction score
Sure the cost of the swap might be a few thousand, but you can pick up complete running driving functioning J30 6th gens all day long for less than a thousand bucks. At least around here.

I picked up Connie (J30A1 02 Coupe) for $600 with a blown head gasket, paid $400 for a low mileage JDM J30A from an Odyssey, dumped it in and off I went. Easy peasy. Around $1000 to get her on the road and she's given me over 300k reliable km in the past 4 years.

I picked up Midnight (J30A1 00 Coupe) for $800. Had to put in a gas tank, a power steering line, and 2 wheel bearings (that were harvested from a 2000 V6 coupe I bought for $200 for parts). And now she's on the road running almost perfectly for around a thousand bucks, too.

I even picked up a 98 J30A1 sedan (with a new transmission and strong engine) for $400 a few weeks back, as a parts car. If I wanted another car on the road, I could put a gas tank, brakes and a hood latch on that one and have it on the road for around $1000, too.

So just sell yours and use the money to buy one with the J30.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be!

Last edited:

R3dC4p

Reaction score
Sure the cost of the swap might be a few thousand, but you can pick up complete running driving functioning J30 6th gens all day long for less than a thousand bucks. At least around here.

I picked up Connie (J30A1 02 Coupe) for $600 with a blown head gasket, paid $400 for a low mileage JDM J30A from an Odyssey, dumped it in and off I went. Easy peasy. Around $1000 to get her on the road and she's given me over 300k reliable km in the past 4 years.

I picked up Midnight (J30A1 00 Coupe) for $800. Had to put in a gas tank, a power steering line, and 2 wheel bearings (that were harvested from a 2000 V6 coupe I bought for $200 for parts). And now she's on the road running almost perfectly for around a thousand bucks, too.

I even picked up a 98 J30A1 sedan (with a new transmission and strong engine) for $400 a few weeks back, as a parts car. If I wanted another car on the road, I could put a gas tank, brakes and a hood latch on that one and have it on the road for around $1000, too.

So just sell yours and use the money to buy one with the J30.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be!

You are lucky. Unfortunately, I have had no such luck finding a v6 6th gen for less than 2-2500. People just aren't getting rid of them around here. I can't​ even find an f23 with a 5 speed in it. At all. and either way, I'm not interested in j-swapping right now. Swaps are boring. I want to see what I can do with what I've got. because that's more fun. I don't care about logic in this scenario.

Last edited:
Back