Side Branch Resonator

phi1542

Reaction score
Re: Getting rid of exhaust drone?

I was hoping there was a way involving no money hahaha but yeah I ended up ordering this one yesterday. Would this work too?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IKDBvb19YK6RK

And to find hertz the use an equation but I'm not sure how accurate it is. #1-4 in the first post. Can anyone verify if that's legit? I've seen it around while researching but idk how they came up with that. I want this to be as accurate as possible because if my calculations are off, this will not work. I can download a guitar tuner that measures sounds in hertz but not sure the accuracy of the app too since phones have high pass filters

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

I have the same exhaust, except no resonators for me. Shocked at how much quieter it is. I have a bit of drone with mine sadly though

The goal was to get rid of drone as much as possible because it was 90% freeway driven. These "inline" resonators made that possible. The in car sound is perfect, no drone but I can still hear the exhaust note when I get on it. Before the resonators were in the whole system was a little too loud and raspy for the parentals liking (they owned it at the time of install), especially for a DD. Plus I now live in a quiet neighborhood and am a bartender on weekends, so getting home late (2 or 3am) with a loud exhaust is not ideal for my surroundings.

Some times though I wish it were a little louder when I hit the canyons or some ricer civic revs at me :lawl:. Maybe I'll weld in one of those electric open exhaust valves to play around with and put it right at the Y split, haha.

Edit: added words for clarity

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

My goal was to get rid of drone as much as possible because it was 90% freeway driven. These resonators made that possible. The in car sound is perfect, no drone but I can still hear the exhaust note when I get on it. Before the resonators were in the whole system was a little too loud and raspy for my liking, especially for a DD. Plus I live in a quiet neighborhood and am a bartender on weekends, so getting home late (2 or 3am) with a loud exhaust is not ideal for my surroundings.

Some times though I wish it were a little louder when I hit the canyons or some ricer civic revs at me :lawl:. Maybe I'll weld in one of those electric open exhaust valves to play around with and put it right at the Y split, haha.

You have a side branch resonator? So it'll work? What formula did you use and all that haha it shouldn't be any quieter. Just the deep resonance noise goes away and the nice grumble stays. To me personally I don't like the drone noise, some people do. It's just a deep noise so it's whatever. I like the grumble of straight pipes but I can't take this 2,000 RPM drone anymore. Plus my girlfriend hates it so much LOL she got so mad when I got straight pipes :lawl: it's anoying to other passengers as well

UPDATE: I tried the chromatic meter on my phone and it works. The hertz I got from the app was about the same as the equation. It's hard to tell the exact hertz on the app because I was driving around my neighborhood so it shifts to different rpms a lot. Plus I need my eyes on the road lol Unless you drive on the high way where the drone is at a constant RPM where you can pull an accurate measurement just use the equation. I didn't want to go all the way to the high way since the measurements were very close

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

Updated with correct information. My other info was just off of a clubrsx forum so I had to find a universal formula

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

Just adding in some info here:
Inline straight through resonators are similar to glass packs in design. Inline resonators will not restrict flow, where as the glass packs will (only sightly). The difference is in the inside pipe, louvers in glass packs vs perforated holes in resonators. Resonators typically will only quiet exhaust down a little roughly 2-3dbA per foot, especially with mine because I have a lot of resonator length. Glass packs act more as a straight through muffler and typically absorb more sound leaving a unique note. Both absorb sound waves via steel wool/fiberglass and resonating chamber, altering the exiting sound waves and minimizing drone.

I measured my inline resonators: I have stock exhaust manifold and a high flow cat with 2.25" piping from the cat back. Large resonator is 3 feet and the small one is 1 foot. So obviously a total, 4 feet of resonator length. Which is why mine is so quiet.

Example: Resonator (left) Glasspack (right)
JF10geq.jpg

Helmholtz or side branch resonators are tuned to a certain frequency (using a formula like Phil1542 in the first post). The sound waves are interrupted/canceled from the resonator back and typically work best when installed closest to the engine as possible. This design will typically not lower the volume or loudness of the exhaust but interrupt the sound waves changing the frequency. This is achieved by using a separate sealed chamber or pipe as you have seen in earlier posts.

Example
prJ5RYs.jpg

Just posting what info I have found.

Please correct me if I'm off on anything. This is how I understand it.

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

Just adding in some info here:
Inline straight through resonators are similar to glass packs in design. Inline resonators will not restrict flow, where as the glass packs will (only sightly). The difference is in the inside pipe, louvers in glass packs vs perforated holes in resonators. Resonators typically will only quiet exhaust down a little roughly 2-3dbA per foot, especially with mine because I have a lot of resonator length. Glass packs act more as a straight through muffler and typically absorb more sound leaving a unique note. Both absorb sound waves via steel wool/fiberglass and resonating chamber, altering the exiting sound waves and minimizing drone.

I measured my inline resonators: I have stock exhaust manifold and a high flow cat with 2.25" piping from the cat back. Large resonator is 3 feet and the small one is 1 foot. So obviously a total, 4 feet of resonator length. Which is why mine is so quiet.

Example: Resonator (left) Glasspack (right)
JF10geq.jpg

Helmholtz or side branch resonators are tuned to a certain frequency (using a formula like Phil1542 in the first post). The sound waves are interrupted/canceled from the resonator back and typically work best when installed closest to the engine as possible. This design will typically not lower the volume or loudness of the exhaust but interrupt the sound waves changing the frequency. This is achieved by using a separate sealed chamber or pipe as you have seen in earlier posts.

Example
prJ5RYs.jpg

Just posting what info I have found.

Please correct me if I'm off on anything. This is how I understand it.

Thanks for the extra info! Everything sounds good to me haha

I didn't know it had to be close to the engine... So should I put mine behind the cat?

53pdmf.jpg

Last edited:

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

Thanks for the extra info! Everything sounds good to me haha

I didn't know it had to be close to the engine... So should I put mine behind the cat?

53pdmf.jpg

This is the video where I heard the "further forward" bit from, there were also some random forums that suggested the same information. Nothing concrete to prove there is a big difference on where its installed though. It makes sense to me if you are going to do it yourself you can choose where is best. I'd say the location in your drawing is ideal because the cat will alter some of the sound waves then the Helmholtz to cancel the frequency along with the inline resonator to absorb any drone that is left over.

Back