RETUNE UPDATE - Erik123456789's Official SOHC Turbo Build!!!

Erik123456789

Reaction score
Re: G23 Question..

In regards to the block, yes, it will handle 15psi. You will have an issue with the bottom end if you up your rpm's too far. I wouldn't take an f23 bottom past 7k. You may want to also consider stronger rods. The amount of torque you will be pushing on 15psi will be better handled over the long term by something stronger. And since you will already be in there....

Oh okay, so then I'll keep my RPM's in the 7K range. That was another thing I was thinking about too, since the f23 is low revving and the H22 is a higher revving motor I wasn't sure if I would be able to rev up any more past the 7K range.

F23a1racer

Reaction score

Hey Eric, Let me know how this goes. I've been looking into this for a while. Got a H22 head in the basement but i haven't determined if the head is off and obd1 or obd2. My only concern is the durability of this build. :thumbsup:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

Oh okay, so then I'll keep my RPM's in the 7K range. That was another thing I was thinking about too, since the f23 is low revving and the H22 is a higher revving motor I wasn't sure if I would be able to rev up any more past the 7K range.

Max rpm is limited by the max pistin speed. Exceed the max speed of the piston, and you'll have cooling problems.

Short-stroke engines, therefore, can rev higher than long-stroke engines of the same displacement.

Also, at very high rpm, you'll have limits based on the valve train. A conventionally configured valve train will have the valves opened by the camshaft and closed by the spring. At very high speeds, the spring isn't able to close the valve all the way before it opens again. This can lead to the valve colliding with the piston crown. It is also called "floating the valves"

You may want to look or ask someone who has already done this build before, it would really suck if you spun a bearing revving too high or broke a connecting rod, floated valves..it would ruin your entire engine.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Basically...if you plan on going much over the stock rev limit, build the valvetrain.

Atreidies

Reaction score

Basically...if you plan on going much over the stock rev limit, build the valvetrain.

Agreed. H22 head will do 7200 all day long. F23 bottom end will be fine to 7000 no problem. I say shift by 7200 and you should get a few years of fun out of it.

HondaLuver83 - What you are describing is actually called valve bounce. Float is where the valve is "thrown" so hard by the cam lobe, that it is no longer in contact with the lobe. This typically happens around the time the valve is fully open, so piston clearance isn't the issue. In fact, in some motors float is actually induced in order to get more lift than a racing class allows.

H22 heads can be run up to 8k on the regular without problems.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I only know of one guy who takes the F23 (stock) to 8k. It also has a GT42R mounted to it and all he does is dragrace or highspeed pulls with it. Then when it breaks, swaps in another one.

Erik123456789

Reaction score

Oh okay I see thanks for clarifying guys, I have mine tuned at 7300 right now so I'm just gonna keep it at that. I just got my crank back today, resurfaced it .10 over.

:lawl:

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

Oh okay I see thanks for clarifying guys, I have mine tuned at 7300 right now so I'm just gonna keep it at that. I just got my crank back today, resurfaced it .10 over.

:lawl:

You got bearings for that bad boy as well? How much did it cost you to get it resurfaced? Its cool that you are going from the bottom up, you should have a great engine after your done. Provided you dont mess up putting it back together....lol jk

Last edited:

Erik123456789

Reaction score

You got bearings for that bad boy as well? How much did it cost you to get it resurfaced? Its cool that you are going from the bottom up, you should have a great engine after your done. Provided you dont mess up putting it back together....lol jk

Well my dad did it for free at the shop lol. :D I just ordered the gasket set, main bearings, main seals and timing belt.. added up to 230$.. I'm expecting for them to arrive sometime this week if not by Monday.

He's rebuilding the head atm too.. two valves are bent though so I gotta wait until Saturday so I can go pick them up from Palm Springs.

Atreidies

Reaction score

Well my dad did it for free at the shop lol. :D I just ordered the gasket set, main bearings, main seals and timing belt.. added up to 230$.. I'm expecting for them to arrive sometime this week if not by Monday.

He's rebuilding the head atm too.. two valves are bent though so I gotta wait until Saturday so I can go pick them up from Palm Springs.

Always nice to have someone help on builds. Even better when they know what they are doing.

Can't wait to see this done. I'm starting to look for parts for a way down the road (when my f23 goes) g23 build. Have yet to see one boosted. Are you going to before and after dyno? I.E. f23t vs g23t?

Back