Halabeaster54's CL Type S 6Spd/J35 Build

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Nice to see another swap project.

The Coupes are taking over for the J-series swaps.

Seems like you pretty much have most of what you need, which is good.

Are you looking to keep it NA or boost at some point?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I was looking for your build thread but all of the info wasn't on there like it was the last time I looked at it? Did you edit it or am I just loosing my mind? And how's that list your making with rich coming along?

I’ve added photos to the 1st post, haven’t deleted anything so anything you saw should still be there. The DIY is a slow process, Rich and his girlfriend run the shop and they have a huge customer base so he works crazy hours. Also they are in the process of moving locations since their business expanding, and he still does swaps so he is plenty busy. I have been busy at home and especially work lately, my time I can devote to it is limited at this point, unfortunately.

I update my swap thread when there are updates on the DIY, so check there for future updates. I have all the photos we took still, if you're looking for something I will try to provide it.

Are you looking to keep it NA or boost at some point?

Let’s not get carried away, lol.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wanting to have high aspirations.....as long as the build is solid.

I appreciate these threads though, because I know they are going to come in handy for reference when the time comes.

HB, if this is a DIY for you, I hope you take lots of pics as well.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
I will be making a DIY on Installing the J37 manifold, all of the credit there belongs to NokBlue. I was debating boosting it in the future, thats why I'm leaving all of the internals for the most part stock for now. Lets focus on the swap first, baby steps, baby steps ahah. It will be sprayed though, probably running a 100 shot or 75. I have a couple of quick questions that someone here can hopefully help me with. And watch out HGuzman is doing a 6 spd swap as well with a TL tranny and hes using a j32a2. Over the summer were racing at Honda Day to prove whats a better platform between the two. I was going to buy a j32a2 but im a sucker for displacement and j35a4 just sounds cooler and is more impresive imho so thats why I went that route.

1. The J37 Manifold is magnisium, how can i paint that? I want to use the purple color that was in the thread I posted before this. I would polish it but I was told magnisium will revert its self back to its original finish in no time so its not worth the money or trouble.
this is for a valve cover but I'm talking about a manifold, props to russianred
It's not necessary to use high temp paint because the valve cover really doesn't get that hot. It would get significantly hotter in a turbo application I'm sure, but in a regular one it shouldn't be a big deal. I have ran my DEP cover with the turbo for years and no issues. There were issues with how I prepped some areas of it, but not the actual paint. With AMAZING prep, enough layers of paint and clearcoat, and care as far as dings and chips from tools etc when working in the bay - it should last forever. The heat applied to the paint regardless of type is actually beneficial for the curing process, and eventually it solidifies into a laquer or enamel and has beautiful gloss and durability.

2. Tuning: Can i keep a tune on the stock ecu. Mikeymike had problems with that because it kept resetting its self. I was thinking about a piggyback system like Greddy Emange Blue if the stock ecu cant hold a tune.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
So why not get the J32 and do a J36 build?

If you say price, I can understand.

The J35 is no slouch, and is still a huge upgrade over the J30.

From what I have read, the AEM is the recommended unit for tuning. Did you not get the ECU/harness from the CL-S as well?

Do some reading up on j32a.com as well. That site has some great info on it.

Which Innovative Mounts did you end up going with?

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
So why not get the J32 and do a J36 build?

If you say price, I can understand.

The J35 is no slouch, and is still a huge upgrade over the J30.

From what I have read, the AEM is the recommended unit for tuning. Did you not get the ECU/harness from the CL-S as well?

Do some reading up on j32a.com as well. That site has some great info on it.

Which Innovative Mounts did you end up going with?

Price. Yes

No I have the j32 ecu and richies harness. I think its a j32, it came with the harness so ill double check that. I've been reading up on j32a.com but since im not "building" a motor I havent been that active on it. I got the mounts for a J30 bnib for $250 shipped on ebay. I originally bought them for the J30 since i have two broken mounts but i didnt use them so Ill just transfer them over to my swap, its the same scenerio with my headers haha. Theyre both never used and in the box.

Thanks matt! I'll be hitting you up for questions about the bar i have to weld for the clutch pedal.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The harness that came with the engine should be the J32, but you could have gotten the ECU as well.

I am not 100% sure, but I would have thought you wouldn't have needed Richie's harness if you got both the ECU/harness from the J32.

I was curious to know what options there were with the J35, but it may depend on whether you use the Oddy motor or the MDX.

How many miles were on the engine/transmission?

Last edited:

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Mileage are on the receipts 3X,XXX on the tranny and 75,XXX on the engine. The engine harness is stock j35a4. The odyssey engine bolts up the the 6spd, the mdx doesn't because it's awd. that's why I got the j35a4. The ecu I'll check it out now. I bought it used from a member on v6p so it's kinda messy but I'll clean it up. My stock j35 wiring harness should be fine right? Or should I get a type s harness?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
I have an auto type s ecu from an 01-02 cl.
44c75135-9be3-d242.jpg

44c75135-9bef-1630.jpg

Richies harness
44c75135-9c92-336b.jpg

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Back