Coolant change - a couple of questions

mossberg

Reaction score
1. The Honda manual insists we use Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. Is this necessary? Any good, less expensive alternatives? Is mixing water from a garden hose with pure antifreeze just fine?
2. The Honda manual mentions removing the drain bolt and washer (in addition to the drain plug). Is this necessary or recommended? It's not mentioned in the coolant article in the DIY master thread.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Why risk $6 of prestone over honda? Yes read all the horror stories of coolant.

You should never use water from the hose anyways, it contains lead. Uae diluted water, only $1.

Remove the radiator cap and remove the plug under the radiator.

When you pour coolant, fill it up, let it burp, fill more, burp it once, and put the cap back on. (About a 10 minute process).

Also this could have been youtube.

mossberg

Reaction score
Why risk $6 of prestone over honda? Yes read all the horror stories of coolant.

You should never use water from the hose anyways, it contains lead. Uae diluted water, only $1.

Remove the radiator cap and remove the plug under the radiator.

When you pour coolant, fill it up, let it burp, fill more, burp it once, and put the cap back on. (About a 10 minute process).

Also this could have been youtube.
Thanks, I'll pick up some distilled water for the flush, and Honda coolant for the fill.

Does anyone remove the drain bolt on the engine? If not, how do you get the old coolant out of the engine or flush the engine?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
So it's had the timing belt & water pump changed (hopefully).

If the water pump was changed, the coolant was changed.

Iirc, honda didn't start on the blue stuff until 2003ish, our cars should all have come with green stuff, standard coolant. I've never had a problem using standard green in any honda. I did put blue in mine when I did the last t-belt, but it was on green for 200k, and I only switched cause the blue looks cool.

By green I mean true ethelyne glycol, NOT 'universal', the store brand stuff is fine.

mossberg

Reaction score
So it's had the timing belt & water pump changed (hopefully).

If the water pump was changed, the coolant was changed.

Iirc, honda didn't start on the blue stuff until 2003ish, our cars should all have come with green stuff, standard coolant. I've never had a problem using standard green in any honda. I did put blue in mine when I did the last t-belt, but it was on green for 200k, and I only switched cause the blue looks cool.

By green I mean true ethelyne glycol, NOT 'universal', the store brand stuff is fine.
Just looked at the old service records that I got from the original owner. Yes, it had the timing belt and water pump changed at 102k miles.

Sweet! You just saved me from some unnecessary work, thanks.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I've used Universal LongLife Prestone and/or Peak on mine ever since 2007 when I bought it and there's been no issues with it.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea there's nothing wrong with using the premix stuff from the store. Not everyone wants to pay $19+ for a gallon of antifreeze

Back