Transmission Tech Question

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
my fill bolt is seized. i mean way past the cursing and throwing 17mm wrench seized. even past the praying and pleading kind of seized. so that bolt is gonna stay that way for awhile until i drop the tranny on the next clutch install

now, i need to find a way to fill my tranny after i drain the fluid. i could use the drain bolt to fill it, over fill it and the quickly screw the bolt back in. but i would rather not

is there any other place to fill it? like the vent cap?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Your not going to be able to know how much fluid to add unless u measure it.

If I can get a seized bolt off my 71 datsun tranny u should be able with the accord. What u need is a good pipe wrench and a hammer and propane torch. Use channel lock to tighten the pipe wrench tight. Heat up the bolt hot, then Wack it with a hammer. Mine was so tight that the square head bolt almost rounded off , I had more trouble with that than any crank bolt. All u need is hammer, pipe wrench and heat.

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
when i said i give up......... that means i used every technique in my arsenal, including using the rest of my propane on that one bolt.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Hit it with a hammer.

That's all I've got......................

Maybe fill it through the dipstick hole?? Do MT's have a dip stick?? iono......

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You need to hit the pipe wrench with sharp blows with a hammer, I've taken off so many seized bolts. You can also use pb blaster, ive had success with that and heat. There is no way to fill the tranny except by the filler hole, u can't get fluid through the drain plug it will all just run out. I fought with a seized bolt on my datsun for a week before I finally put a pipe wrench and hit it as hard as I could 4-5 times, and I'm not that small of a guy. Sometimes you just need to keep trying

You can also take a dremel and dremel the middle of the
bolt head down to the thread, this will release some tension.

It's pretty imparative you get the right amount of fluid in your transmission. Overtopping can cause the fluid to foam up and lose viscosity. If you plan filling through the breather, you really need to measure the fluid within' one ounce of spec.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Take your vss out and fill through that hole. You shouldnt have to measure it out exactly though. Spec is two quarts.

Back