Midnight, 2000 EX-V6 Coupe (56K)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
If it really turns out to be that cheap return line on the rack, maybe followed by a lil burp session for the PS and cleaning off any prior fluid on the rack to make sure no new leaks appear may do the trick. Let's hope for the best and thanks for the heads up.

My 99 had a rust hole about 2 to 3 inches from the rack. I replaced when I was in there putting the new timing belt on. I did the entire return line set up. Cost was about 100 bucks total using genuine Honda parts (sourced thru on line dealers and E-bay). That took care of mine. I think I had maybe 2 hours into it, as getting the line off the rack was the hardest part of the job.

Connie

Reaction score
My 99 had a rust hole about 2 to 3 inches from the rack. I replaced when I was in there putting the new timing belt on. I did the entire return line set up. Cost was about 100 bucks total using genuine Honda parts (sourced thru on line dealers and E-bay). That took care of mine. I think I had maybe 2 hours into it, as getting the line off the rack was the hardest part of the job.
Mine was in EXACTLY the same spot. Tiny pinhole. Barely dripping when sitting there but MAN once that system is under pressure----WOW! I just took side cutters to the line @ the fitting, used a flex head ratchet with a stubby 17mm socket and spun the fitting out, and cut off the rusty clamp that holds it onto the rubber hose above the rack, then picked open those dumb clips.....I hate those dumb clips. They'd be fine if you could get more than one finger in there. I'm still not certain if they are clipped properly, but I'll check if I ever have the engine out, lol. Not like it's gonna fall off. New hose clamp on one end, nice tight fitting on the other, and a zip tie just in case. All of the other lines weren't corroded at all, just that ONE spot.

Even had time to rattle can the fender and the mirror, clean up the headlights, and sneak it to the car wash. Looks pretty good for an $800 car. I'll update the first page with the rest of the pics.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Mine was in EXACTLY the same spot. Tiny pinhole. Barely dripping when sitting there but MAN once that system is under pressure----WOW! I just took side cutters to the line @ the fitting, used a flex head ratchet with a stubby 17mm socket and spun the fitting out, and cut off the rusty clamp that holds it onto the rubber hose above the rack, then picked open those dumb clips.....I hate those dumb clips. They'd be fine if you could get more than one finger in there. I'm still not certain if they are clipped properly, but I'll check if I ever have the engine out, lol. Not like it's gonna fall off. New hose clamp on one end, nice tight fitting on the other, and a zip tie just in case. All of the other lines weren't corroded at all, just that ONE spot.

Even had time to rattle can the fender and the mirror, clean up the headlights, and sneak it to the car wash. Looks pretty good for an $800 car. I'll update the first page with the rest of the pics.

I wonder if that's a defect in the tube spot. Or a spot where maybe brake fluid gets splashed/dripped on from above, causing a weak spot. Seems like an unsual spot for it to rust there though.
I saw your updated pics too, that car really does look good. Should make for a nice daily driver. You're not going to be able to find it in the parking lot, because you'll be looking for the white one.:henry: Then after a few runs to and from work, it'll become your daily while fixing the white one.

Looks like your snow melted off too. :) Have fun with it and enjoy it while you can. Once your girlfriend drives it, it'll be hers.

Connie

Reaction score
I wonder if that's a defect in the tube spot. Or a spot where maybe brake fluid gets splashed/dripped on from above, causing a weak spot. Seems like an unsual spot for it to rust there though.
I saw your updated pics too, that car really does look good. Should make for a nice daily driver. You're not going to be able to find it in the parking lot, because you'll be looking for the white one.:henry: Then after a few runs to and from work, it'll become your daily while fixing the white one.

Looks like your snow melted off too. :) Have fun with it and enjoy it while you can. Once your girlfriend drives it, it'll be hers.

Yeah I know.:shrug:

It's got heated seats and driver's mirror, and you know how women are always cold. I shouldn't have told her about that...but she won't put many miles on it, so it'll stay nice for awhile longer that way. Connie's already pretty ruined; might as well keep ruining her. It just adds to her persona the worse she looks.... I'm pretty sure she's a little faster than Midnight, too; especially after driving them back to back yesterday. Something about that JDM J30A is just a little bit better than the A1; just wish I knew exactly what it was that gives it the alleged extra 10hp...

Yeah it was beautiful here yesterday (+19) and still is today.
Wish I wasn't stuck at work today....it's supposed to be +21! (What's that, like 70 American degrees?)

We will have to have a race down the backroad behind my house. Just to be sure of which is faster. For science. And video-tape it. So I can have my findings peer-reviewed.

Last edited:

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score

Rusty may have a point, if brake fluid leaked onto a painted surface and being corrosive to paint like the fluid is, very possible to cause a bare spot for moisture and corrosion to set in and thus rust.

I like the pic of all 3 cars together btw , it's like a trifecta of Honda.

Connie

Reaction score
Rusty may have a point, if brake fluid leaked onto a painted surface and being corrosive to paint like the fluid is, very possible to cause a bare spot for moisture and corrosion to set in and thus rust.

I like the pic of all 3 cars together btw , it's like a trifecta of Honda.

You're right; could be that someone dripped some brake fluid there while topping up the reservoir and it ate through the coating on the line. Who knows.

Thanks....there are actually 4, but the crashed silver one doesn't really count lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yeah, it was 70+ here on sunday, and 67-68 here on monday, and 64 today. So maybe things are finally starting to warm up around here in the cold gray north.

Yeah, my thought that it might be brake fluid dripping on the line, is it would be kind of hard for something to hit it right on that spot on more than 1 car. And with everything in place, you'd see what I mean. Either that, or a nick happened on the production line when they were installing the entire front subframe assembly (with motor and trans). I doubt it, but I suppose anything is possible.

Connie

Reaction score
Well I think I'm down to only one more issue with Midnight here, after a weekend of merry-go-friggin'-wheel bearings.

Replaced the right front (oh, the play, the hugeness of it! This explains why that tire was worn a little funny.), actually managed to salvage the bearing AND ball joint from the knuckle on my parts car when I removed it.

Took it for a drive and it was about halfway better. I think the loudness from the front was drowning out the fact that the right rear bearing (same one that is bad on Connie) was making turboprop airplane sounds down the highway.

So back up in the air it went for the right rear. Took it for a drive after and its beautiful! Nice and tight and almost silent. The only noise I can hear at 120kph and the radio off is a slight humming from the tires. And managed not to spend a dime fixing it either, parts cars for the win!

I did have to use the right rear knuckle with the good bearing that was meant for Connie, so I'll have to pick up a new hub assembly and a spindle nut for her on the way home, as the one in the green parts car is unfortunately spinning too freely to have adequate grease in it.. But only $70CAD for bearing and spindle nut, so not too bad.

I still have that low idle issue from time to time. When I restarted the car after it had been sitting for about 20 minutes, it actually almost stalled when I put it into reverse. I gave it a good rev and then it ran ok, but still idled low. Next on the list is timing belt/water pump/coolant drain and fill and a new thermostat. I remember my old 92 sedan doing something similar with how it idled when there was air pockets in the cooling system.

And I still have no CEL....so at least there's that....,

Back