Midnight, 2000 EX-V6 Coupe (56K)

Connie

Reaction score
I bet under the hood looks much better now, as far as the people who laugh at it .Do not worry as you will have the last laugh while they are bleeding their money dry to mechanics and car payments ;)

It's really cool your girl is relaxed in the sense she could care less what people think, I've been trying to adopt that attitude myself and just care more about taking pride in my car work.

I agree about getting some miles on it and figuring out what else needs to be brought up to speed as far as maintenance/ replacement parts.
If there is one thing I know is true about cars, time will tell it's true state of condition.:waytogo:

Thanks, I don't worry. I just feel bad with people who have to make payments on something that'll be worth a fraction of what was paid by the time its paid off.

I'm lucky she's so cool. Took me a long time to find her.

Hoping to get it plated by next weekend, just need to deal with the power steering issue, fender and emissions testing. Time will tell.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Are emissions testing there pretty much a reflection of what we have here I would assume? I guess it needs to be plated and inspected because it has been off the road for a while now because you had a parts car idea for a bit?
If so that is understandable and I hear you loud and clear about the power steering issue, the rack on ours is weeping as well. Bye Bye spring time money lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't worry. I just feel bad with people who have to make payments on something that'll be worth a fraction of what was paid by the time its paid off.

I'm lucky she's so cool. Took me a long time to find her.

Hoping to get it plated by next weekend, just need to deal with the power steering issue, fender and emissions testing. Time will tell.

That actually looks pretty damn good. The silver mirror looks out of place, but also gives a nice contrast to the black car. I think the right fender isn't too bad either, and you could probably prep the silver one before spraying it with black spray paint and install it with color. Whether it'll match is another story. ;) The engine compartment cleaned up like crazy though. Man that looks good.
Is your emissions testing just check to see if you have any codes present? Or do they also use a sniffer in the tail pipe? Just curious, as we have no emissions testing here in Michigan. You could put a big ol carbed V8 under the hood and be fine.

Yeah, get it tested, plated, and run it for a bit and see what problems it still has that you weren't told about, then fix those and drive the hell out of it.
Good luck with it, it sure does look pretty for an 800 dollar parts car. ;)

Connie

Reaction score
Are emissions testing there pretty much a reflection of what we have here I would assume? I guess it needs to be plated and inspected because it has been off the road for a while now because you had a parts car idea for a bit?
If so that is understandable and I hear you loud and clear about the power steering issue, the rack on ours is weeping as well. Bye Bye spring time money lol.

Anything OBDII just gets scanned to make sure all the monitors are running. Anything older as far back as 1988 gets sniffed. Which is why my RX7 is off the road for now....blew almost 10 times the legal limit of HC last time I tried to plate it.

The check engine light isn't on, so I should be good.

I used to always have to reset an evap code on the white car before I brought it to be scanned; and show up with over half a tank of gas and the car warmed up. As long as I did that, it would pass. After the new tank, even that went away.

The black car should pass without issues. I haven't scanned it yet, but the light isn't on so that's a good sign.

I finished the gas tank and removed the rotten power steering line last night. New from Honda is ordered and will be here today. $28 for the line and $8 for a bottle of Honda OEM PS fluid. The return line was weeping on the rack making it look like the rack was leaking, but the rack itself is fine., and all the other lines are far from failure. Maybe you have the same issue; then you can save your springtime money hahaha.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
That actually looks pretty damn good. The silver mirror looks out of place, but also gives a nice contrast to the black car. I think the right fender isn't too bad either, and you could probably prep the silver one before spraying it with black spray paint and install it with color. Whether it'll match is another story. ;) The engine compartment cleaned up like crazy though. Man that looks good.
Is your emissions testing just check to see if you have any codes present? Or do they also use a sniffer in the tail pipe? Just curious, as we have no emissions testing here in Michigan. You could put a big ol carbed V8 under the hood and be fine.

Yeah, get it tested, plated, and run it for a bit and see what problems it still has that you weren't told about, then fix those and drive the hell out of it.
Good luck with it, it sure does look pretty for an 800 dollar parts car. ;)

I am so jealous of your emissions testing situation. I wish it was like that here.

All I used to clean up under the hood was some penetrant and a rag. Only spent 10 minutes on it so far; once I have more time to spend under there it'll look even better. Super clean, a pressure washer, some penetrant and a rag is my secret under-hood cleaning recipe lol. That always seems to make the plastic and rubber look a million times better.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend; so maybe I'll get it outside and get her all cleaned up and post some half decent pics of it.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I am so jealous of your emissions testing situation. I wish it was like that here.

All I used to clean up under the hood was some penetrant and a rag. Only spent 10 minutes on it so far; once I have more time to spend under there it'll look even better. Super clean, a pressure washer, some penetrant and a rag is my secret under-hood cleaning recipe lol. That always seems to make the plastic and rubber look a million times better.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend; so maybe I'll get it outside and get her all cleaned up and post some half decent pics of it.

I am with him about being jelly of the no emissions where you are at.

Btw your bay cleaned up nicely for a very quick 10 min run over, though I am always nervous about a pressure washer under the hood, I know the places to cover and avoid but my luck for rolling the dice on that is no good lol.

You can always use "Simple Green" and a brush on the aluminum and metal parts and just like you were saying use penetrant or some Meguiar's supreme shine conditioner for the rubber and plastic pieces to condition them and get the dirt off.

I got a shovel and I am digging it haha.

Connie

Reaction score
I am with him about being jelly of the no emissions where you are at.

Btw your bay cleaned up nicely for a very quick 10 min run over, though I am always nervous about a pressure washer under the hood, I know the places to cover and avoid but my luck for rolling the dice on that is no good lol.

You can always use "Simple Green" and a brush on the aluminum and metal parts and just like you were saying use penetrant or some Meguiar's supreme shine conditioner for the rubber and plastic pieces to condition them and get the dirt off.

I got a shovel and I am digging it haha.

Yeah definitely need to be careful with the pressure washer.

I would do it on Midnight because all of the original wiring is there and nice and tight and properly routed. This car has either been serviced at the dealer or never had any major work done. But obviously just the parts that are safe to clean that way; no blasting straight at harnesses or sensors or anything like that.

Connie, on the other hand, I wouldn't touch under the hood with a pressure washer. It's been apart and back together a million times, everything's been shuffled around and disturbed multiple times, half of the sensors have soldered on connectors because they were broken or full of green stuff when I got the car. I had the front wiring harness completely apart and put back together and re-taped because of a cooling fan wiring issue that turned out to be a worn through wire underneath the upper front cross member. And the transmission harness completely apart and re-taped too because of an intermittent speed sensor issue that turned out to be a bad wire in the harness rather than the sensor itself. It gets wet in there and nothing bad happens (like rain and puddles and the 400), but I don't think blasting that rat's nest with high pressure water would be very smart, either.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Anything OBDII just gets scanned to make sure all the monitors are running. Anything older as far back as 1988 gets sniffed. Which is why my RX7 is off the road for now....blew almost 10 times the legal limit of HC last time I tried to plate it.

The check engine light isn't on, so I should be good.

I used to always have to reset an evap code on the white car before I brought it to be scanned; and show up with over half a tank of gas and the car warmed up. As long as I did that, it would pass. After the new tank, even that went away.

The black car should pass without issues. I haven't scanned it yet, but the light isn't on so that's a good sign.

I finished the gas tank and removed the rotten power steering line last night. New from Honda is ordered and will be here today. $28 for the line and $8 for a bottle of Honda OEM PS fluid. The return line was weeping on the rack making it look like the rack was leaking, but the rack itself is fine., and all the other lines are far from failure. Maybe you have the same issue; then you can save your springtime money hahaha.

If it really turns out to be that cheap return line on the rack, maybe followed by a lil burp session for the PS and cleaning off any prior fluid on the rack to make sure no new leaks appear may do the trick. Let's hope for the best and thanks for the heads up.

Connie

Reaction score
If it really turns out to be that cheap return line on the rack, maybe followed by a lil burp session for the PS and cleaning off any prior fluid on the rack to make sure no new leaks appear may do the trick. Let's hope for the best and thanks for the heads up.

I hope that is what happens on your car too. I was too tired last night to install the new line and refill the system, so hopefully this afternoon after work. The reservoir got all foamy and overflowed with foam just from driving it into the garage, so hopefully it's not too much of a headache to get the air out, and hopefully the pump is ok.....at least I have spares

Amazing how much fluid can shoot out of a tiny pinhole and what a mess can be made when the system is under pressure. The hole in the line was maybe a quarter mm in diameter, but there's a huge mess from literally 30 seconds of driving.

Back