Using Stock Headunit

irtiza18

Reaction score
Stupid new to audio systems, i might consider getting an aftermarket head unit later, but do you guys recommend front/rear speakers while using stock headset. not crazy bout stupid bass

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Stock speakers are only one way speakers, upgrading them will give u much better sound quality not necessarily bass. If you upgrade the head unit you will notice better sound quality also. Do both it will be music to your ears lol.

guytv

Reaction score
It will certainly sound better. I have 3 way speakers and the sound quality is awesome. You can hear the highs, mids, and lows much better. With an aftermarket stereo it will sound much better since you will have a better equalizer.

With the stock head unit it will push out a certain amount of power to the aftermarket speakers, but it won't release the speakers potential. But yes it will sound a lot better. As long as you don't try to turn it up loud, because the sound will begin to distort since it does not have enough power.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
I used to build a lot of audio systems.

Most aftermarket speakers will claim to handle a lot of power, but for the most part, those numbers are pure marketing crap. The number that you're looking for is sensitivity. You want something from 87-91 dB at 1W/1m. Some speakers are measured at 2.83V, which is crap. For 4 ohm speakers, subtract 3 from the dB rating, but probably just avoid. Some speakers are measured at 0.5m, which is also crap. Subtract 6dB from it's sensitivity rating. For any manufacturers using these tactics, probably just avoid them. If they're willing to fudge their numbers that way, then what else are they fudging?

I prefer simpler systems over more complicated ones. 2 way is plenty good enough, 3 way or more starts to introduce crossover artifacts. If you can't hear them, I suppose that it's fine, but once you learn to identify them, they'll bug you. Just sayin'. Personally, I like to have as few crossover points and complications in the system as I can, while creating a good audio range.

Upgrade the head unit only if there are features that you want that the head unit won't provide. If you want MP3/WMA playback, bluetooth, or other input that the stock unit can't provide, then it's time to look for an upgrade. If you just want the CD/AM/FM that you already have, then there's little need. The actual sound quality improvement is minimal until you start to spend a LOT of money. Most stock decks are capable of excellent sound quality, provided that you use adequately efficient speakers (sensitivity from above.) If you go towards speakers which have a sensitivity of 90dB@1w/1m or better, then you should be able to approach permanent hearing damage with minimal distortion from the stock deck.

Don't expect miracles. I've built extreme SQ car audio systems, won a good number of IASCA competitions, and the sound is easily rivaled or beaten by a decent set of headphones and a portable CD player. A car is a really nasty environment for sound, and nothing can really change that. Small steps up for better sound can cost a small fortune. Be aware that the placebo effect is alive and well, and sometimes you can be convinced that you hear a difference (that nobody else will) because you spent more money. (Sound competition judges can "hear a difference" from exotic or expensive components as well.)

All that said, the stock speakers in my '99 Accord aren't bad. I upgraded the head unit, because the one it came with had a broken CD player, and I wanted to be able to connect my iPod, and have bluetooth capability, as well as CD/AM/FM. As it happens, I got DVD playing as well, but that wasn't really important to me. I'm still using the stock speakers, because they're in good shape, but I have some nice aftermarket ones that I'll probably install this summer.

irtiza18

Reaction score
I used to build a lot of audio systems.

Most aftermarket speakers will claim to handle a lot of power, but for the most part, those numbers are pure marketing crap. The number that you're looking for is sensitivity. You want something from 87-91 dB at 1W/1m. Some speakers are measured at 2.83V, which is crap. For 4 ohm speakers, subtract 3 from the dB rating, but probably just avoid. Some speakers are measured at 0.5m, which is also crap. Subtract 6dB from it's sensitivity rating. For any manufacturers using these tactics, probably just avoid them. If they're willing to fudge their numbers that way, then what else are they fudging?

I prefer simpler systems over more complicated ones. 2 way is plenty good enough, 3 way or more starts to introduce crossover artifacts. If you can't hear them, I suppose that it's fine, but once you learn to identify them, they'll bug you. Just sayin'. Personally, I like to have as few crossover points and complications in the system as I can, while creating a good audio range.

Upgrade the head unit only if there are features that you want that the head unit won't provide. If you want MP3/WMA playback, bluetooth, or other input that the stock unit can't provide, then it's time to look for an upgrade. If you just want the CD/AM/FM that you already have, then there's little need. The actual sound quality improvement is minimal until you start to spend a LOT of money. Most stock decks are capable of excellent sound quality, provided that you use adequately efficient speakers (sensitivity from above.) If you go towards speakers which have a sensitivity of 90dB@1w/1m or better, then you should be able to approach permanent hearing damage with minimal distortion from the stock deck.

Don't expect miracles. I've built extreme SQ car audio systems, won a good number of IASCA competitions, and the sound is easily rivaled or beaten by a decent set of headphones and a portable CD player. A car is a really nasty environment for sound, and nothing can really change that. Small steps up for better sound can cost a small fortune. Be aware that the placebo effect is alive and well, and sometimes you can be convinced that you hear a difference (that nobody else will) because you spent more money. (Sound competition judges can "hear a difference" from exotic or expensive components as well.)

All that said, the stock speakers in my '99 Accord aren't bad. I upgraded the head unit, because the one it came with had a broken CD player, and I wanted to be able to connect my iPod, and have bluetooth capability, as well as CD/AM/FM. As it happens, I got DVD playing as well, but that wasn't really important to me. I'm still using the stock speakers, because they're in good shape, but I have some nice aftermarket ones that I'll probably install this summer.
Love your advise, i want to keep that stock headunit look on my dashboard. But i still wanna use good 6x5"s and 6x9's for goof sound and good bass. what would you recommend thats not costly

SupraGuy

Reaction score
In general, I recommend that you go to a shop and listen to a set of speakers. Find ones that will fit in the car as is, and go with that.

Do be aware that your car is a much worse environment than the demo board at the shop, so you may not get the same performance as you get n the shop, but what sounds better in the shop should still sound better in your car.

It's been a while since I've one a lot of comparative shopping. Good speakers don't have to be expensive. I've found a couple of real gems in the off-brands by listening. There's also a lot of crap there, so that's if you have time, and can deal with it if your nice sounding speakers don't last more than a couple of years in the car before something falls apart. (I've written elsewhere in here about speaker "power ratings" and what a crock they are.)

Separates with an external crossover are nice to have, and almost always have better characteristics, but will also always cost more, even in lower priced brands. Still, if you like nice sound, they can be worthwhile, and the Accord does have the provision for the dash-mounted tweeters, so that could be worthwhile in terms of imaging and staging. This is a big advantage sound wise, as it can also help the stereo sound "bigger" without additional cost.

The stock head unit, or at least keeping the stock unit look can be a useful anti-theft strategy as well. Since the stock radios aren't worth much aftermarket, and many have anti-theft codes needed, they're definitely not a tempting target for thieves.

It is possible to add on features like aux input and pre-amp outputs from the stock deck as well, though that's getting more extreme. (I've done it, it's a lot of work, and also money, but possible.)

Back