Bad gas mileage?

swenyo

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 5 speed and I seem to be getting an average of about 18 mpg through 2 tanks so far. I shift at about 4k rpms through the first 2/3 gears or so, until i get to ~45 mph (city driving 90% of the time). Even though I do drive it somewhat hard I feel like 18 is far too low. What tune ups should I do to try to see an increase in gas mileage?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Go to www.rockauto.com and order a tune up kit and some good spark plugs.

A simple ignitin tune up helped me because my plugs were black. So bad my car died on me.

This is a good start. Maybe clean the map sensor. New air filter. I buy air filters at rock auto by the half dozen for a few bucks a piece.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yup, plugs, cap and rotor. If it's still got the original plug wires, you might want to look at replacing them too. When is the last time the timing belt was replaced? Just asking, because if it's over 6 years or 60K miles ago, it's due for replacement.
You might also want to look at your driving habits as well (if the tune up doesn't help). ;)

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that can be causing poor MPG, but there is more information needed about the car itself and there is a plethora of information about "tune up's" out there on the good old inter webs already.

Anything from worn out injectors not firing correctly, worn plugs, tired distributor cap and rotor, air filter, worn out sensors can fall out of spec, tire pressure too low, even a worn out sticky brake caliper can just be slightly dragging and you would not even notice unless it was more drastic.

Any ways the list goes on you get it, the car simply needs to be combed over to see what is and what is not worn out and that will give you a idea of what parts you are going to ordered, other wise you are just guessing and that is a waste of money time and effort with out finding the solution possibly.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
seafoam the car... then change out the spark plugs, rotor, cap and wires

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I only get around 15mpg at 85 miles an hour. Constantly being in vtec at 3250rpms kills my gas mileage. One reason why I want to get a vafc and change my vtec to 4000rpm so i'm not wasting energy cruising.

In town I get 25-30mpg depending on my foot.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
u do know tht the vtec on the f23 is actually very mild and for gas mileage purposes, right..? :thinking:

and running a vafc on the 6ga is worthless as the ecu relearns and overwrites the vafc inputs...

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I only get around 15mpg at 85 miles an hour. Constantly being in vtec at 3250rpms kills my gas mileage. One reason why I want to get a vafc and change my vtec to 4000rpm so i'm not wasting energy cruising.

In town I get 25-30mpg depending on my foot.

Try knocking your speed down to 80, as you'll see an increase in fuel mileage. What dropping that 5 mph does is get you out of being in VTEC. My wife's Accord I4 runs right around 2900 rpms at 80, and gets really good fuel numbers (26+ combined mixed driving).

capsidx

Reaction score
I have bad has mileage as well. Reason being is I try to get to the highest gear I can as fast as I can because of the way everyone here drives. Is that the best way to drive? Nope. Since then I've been getting way better gas mileage by taking it easy on the gas pedal and shifting a little after 2k in every gear. Anything above 3k seems to kill mpgs.

I remember when I drove to pa from Florida. Wasted so much gas leaving Florida, dropped it down to 2k and notice a HUGE difference in gas mileage

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Back