Need Advice

capsidx

Reaction score
I really hope to get more of a post count on this one. as I feel everyone can voice their opinion. Let me start off by saying again I do love my car. However..... It seems my car is letting me down more and more. I've been stuck on the side of the road more than once with this thing. After todays mystery coolant drain, I realized I wasn't actually scheduled for work which was good. I was able to have someone come out and bring me some water to hold me over. I was able to get the car home safely but.... i'm still confronted by the fact that I have a leaking rear main seal, another mystery oil leak which I suspect is my oil pressure gauge, an oil leak from the vtec solenoid , my ac compressor is going and I have one other mystery leak by the timing sprocket. I truly hate the fact that I cant trust my car. Everytime I drive it I'm paranoid and watching all the gauges. Aside from the failing transmission I do realize the car is old and has a lot of original parts. But I feel like the time for me to let go has come. It will take me a while to save up for a different car and I just want the problems to stop :Jedi:. I know we've all had bad experiences but god damn it just want to be able to drive from a to b a few times without being afraid. The thought of getting an impreza has been in the back of my mind for some time now. Its already got more power from the factory and can take a lot more. That being said what do you guys think I should do. Should I sell it, or should I take the time to fix the car I have now. I really need some support right now as this car has me so far down the tube I don't know if the decision I make will be the right one

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really hope to get more of a post count on this one. as I feel everyone can voice their opinion. Let me start off by saying again I do love my car. However..... It seems my car is letting me down more and more. I've been stuck on the side of the road more than once with this thing. After todays mystery coolant drain, I realized I wasn't actually scheduled for work which was good. I was able to have someone come out and bring me some water to hold me over. I was able to get the car home safely but.... i'm still confronted by the fact that I have a leaking rear main seal, another mystery oil leak which I suspect is my oil pressure gauge, an oil leak from the vtec solenoid , my ac compressor is going and I have one other mystery leak by the timing sprocket. I truly hate the fact that I cant trust my car. Everytime I drive it I'm paranoid and watching all the gauges. Aside from the failing transmission I do realize the car is old and has a lot of original parts. But I feel like the time for me to let go has come. It will take me a while to save up for a different car and I just want the problems to stop :Jedi:. I know we've all had bad experiences but god damn it just want to be able to drive from a to b a few times without being afraid. The thought of getting an impreza has been in the back of my mind for some time now. Its already got more power from the factory and can take a lot more. That being said what do you guys think I should do. Should I sell it, or should I take the time to fix the car I have now. I really need some support right now as this car has me so far down the tube I don't know if the decision I make will be the right one

So, rear main seal $20 (plus a couple hours of your time), cam seal ($9), coolant ($20), vtec gasket ($13). The a/c and trans are up to you, I just removed my a/c and ran without it, I hardly used it anyways. Trans, when was the last time you changed the fluid?

Guess what, every car will have problems. If you don't like the accords problems, you don't want the problems of an Impreza b/c if anything major goes wrong, you're pulling the engine.

Put a used JDM f23a1 for 300 bucks off eBay and start off with a good running engine.

That's a bit overkill for an engine/vehicle just needing some seals and basic maintenance. I could see if he had 200k+ miles and low compression but for $50 in seals and a few hours of time, that's not worth spending 5x the amount of money on a new engine.

capsidx

Reaction score
Well living in south florida AC is a must. General cost for a new compressor is about 200 ish. Im not saying the car should run perfectly at all times because it wont. I guess i'm falling into the mindset of less mechanically inclined people. The ones that say well today its a leak tomorrow it will be something else which is statistically untrue in most cases. I fixed the VC seals for now and I need to fix a small leak I created when I put my oil pressure gauge in. As for the transmission fluid I changed it about 2000 miles ago. In all fairness I guess I needed someone to slap me back to reality and make me realize its not that bad. And if I must say I should be more impressed than anything that these parts lasted as long as they have. So this weekend ill be picking up all the necessary parts and make the repairs. Thanks :waytogo:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I took a gamble and bought a '98 Accord with 211k miles on it for 1600 dollars. It drove pretty well for a car it's age and mileage. It was a California lived car so there is hardly any rust and nothing leaking. I guess I'm lucky.

I have an engine swap in the future. 211k miles is a lot and I wanna drive it for 10 more years.

How many miles is on yours?

capsidx

Reaction score
I currently have about 178,000. Ive owned the car for about 5 years and it was solely a Pennsylvania car lol. That means lots of snow and temperatures almost never exceeding 90 degrees. I recently moved to South Florida and thats where the problems started. I'm thinking the heat down here caused the metal to expand more because it gets hotter. That magnified any seemingly unnoticable leak I had up north. Since I got here i've replaced my dizzy o-ring and oil pan gasket. Also I got my car for 130 dollars so I cant complain. All the money i've put into it so far hasn't even added up to the normal market value of this car :lawl: Thats asking a lot from your motor by the way but there are people who probably have way more than you're asking

capsidx

Reaction score
211k is not a lot, lol

I have customers with 300-500k on their Honda's.

He was saying 10 more years on top of the 200k lol, I think thats a lot. Unless he meant he's doing the swap to get 10 more years out of it

Last edited:
Back