Which Speakers?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and repost the generic and classic "Which speakers should I get" thread. Anyway, I already have an aftermarket head unit, and I'm planning on doing full sound-deadening very soon. The only step left is to upgrade the speakers. I'm not doing an amp or subs, just keeping it clean and simple.

So the plan is to get a set of 6.5" component speakers up front, and some 6x9's for the rear. My questions are:

- What should I look for as far as wattage, sensitivity, impedance, etc?
- Should I get 2-way or 3-way up front? And in the rear?
- Are tweeter sizes universal, or should I look for a set that includes a specific size?
- I read that aftermarket tweeters are kinda hard to mount. Please explain this.

Any help is appreciated, since I'm an audio n00b haha

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Another question you might want to ask is, should you upgrade your wiring and if so, what gauge.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
What should I look for as far as wattage, sensitivity, impedance, etc?
4 ohm, wattage depends on radio, sensitivity does not matter

Should I get 2-way or 3-way up front? And in the rear?
your preferance, I wan't '0-way'

Are tweeter sizes universal, or should I look for a set that includes a specific size?
- I read that aftermarket tweeters are kinda hard to mount. Please explain this.

all involving 'tweeter fitting', is custom. There is no size.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I would go with low wattage, under 50W. Sensitivity is pretty much a useless figure. Impedance will almost all be the same (4ohm).

- Should I get 2-way or 3-way up front? And in the rear?
2 way. 3way is pointless. 6.5" will fit up front. You will need to make a spacer ring out of mdf or something that is 5/8". The depth of the speaker is important also, it can be no more than 2 3/4" deep. 6x9 in the rear and again, 2way.

- Are tweeter sizes universal, or should I look for a set that includes a specific size?
No. They can be .5" to 1.5". That's just the cone size, the actual body will be more than the cone. A specific size is about 1"; the reason is because that size plays well with 6.5" mids.

Tweeters can easily be installed in about 3 locations. 1) the original location in corners of dash. 2) Sail panels using mounting hardware/cups. 3) A-pillars using mounting hardware/cups.

Another question you might want to ask is, should you upgrade your wiring and if so, what gauge.
No. It's not at all necessary.

Last edited:

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
I have Jbl gto front and rears and they have adjustable tweets in each speaker to adjust up to the person, with an option to up or down the db level on the speaker.

They sound amazing. A good place to find your speakers is sonicelectronix.com and fyi 6th gens are 6 3/4 a little less then 6.5 so its best to use the adapter rings with the speakers.

Jushewa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alpha_Onion View Post
I would go with low wattage, under 50W. Sensitivity is pretty much a useless figure. Impedance will almost all be the same (4ohm).

So RMS power shouldn't go above 50W? I'm looking at some JVC's just to replace the factory ones and the description says Peak: 300W and RMS: 30W. Also what are you referring to about "tweeters" and the spacer ring? Also the speakers I'm looking at for the rear are 3-way and you said it was pointless. Will it be bad if I still buy them anyway? They're not more expensive or anything. I'm not trying to get anything crazy awesome blow your socks off, just want to replace the old factory ones with ones with a little more oomph.

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
You can get any wattage speaker you want, but the lower the wattage rating the more likely it is that the speaker will have higher sensitivity (uses power more efficiently and therefore louder) and less likely to stress the amplifier/radio.

Peak power is a useless spec. RMS is the only spec that matters, even then there is no one RMS spec to fit a need.

Coaxial 3-ways are pointless because the range of sound that 2-ways cover is plenty.

You might need spacer rings on your doors so the speaker will be spaced out prevent the magnet of the speaker from hitting the window. Plus it should prevent the speaker from deforming when installed.

I would not buy JVC; they are fine, but there are probably better. If you have a budget I may be able to offer some alternatives.

Jushewa

Reaction score
I'm open for anything! like I said I just want to replace factory speakers with ones a bit better. not going all competition here. not getting amps or anything. my car has the sub wire already hooded up but I won't use it

Back