What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

truWarier02

Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

Unpacked the new bumper earlier. I can see the blue pearls and what not but I see spots of haziness and swirls. No biggie, as I plan to detail my car this weekend anyway. It bolts on just fine, just took a bit of sliding back and forth. As with my current bumper, there are gaps below the headlights. Doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

But the feel of it is another story. It has a texture feel or "orange peel" on majority of the bumper. Here's what they said when I emailed them.

2u6e5x5.jpg

20b1z0l.jpg

Is this true? Would I have to resort to wet-sanding?

Nonetheless, color-match is pretty good; at least what I could see from using a flashlight comparing the fender with the bumper.

Last edited:

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

Yes, all painting has to go through a cut/buff to get a smooth finish. You should always talk to the shop to see whats included in the shop for the price quoted...

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

washed and waxed the 6ga yesterday.. gonna do a photoshoot tmr haha

lemmie, do u need to do a pre-rinse if there's a lot of dust on top of the paint? I usually spray it down pretty good before starting on the sponge...

Roy, a pre rinse is always a good practice when washing your car. If you do not have a foam gun/cannon, rinsing the car down with a hose will be sufficient enough to knock off the loose dirt that's not embedded or require agitation from your wash mit.

But if you own a foam gun/cannon, then rinsing it first is not required. The reason is because foaming on a dry surface will help the soap cling onto the surface of the paint longer due to the surface not wet yet, and pre rinsing with water will further dilute the soap.

So I am receiving my new painted bumper from eBay and I asked them how long before I can apply sealant/wax on it and to my surprise, they said they had applied wax before they shipped it out. :wtf:

I thought, in general, you had to wait about a month for it to cure/outgas? Or do they have like a room where they bake the paint for several days to expedite that process? Majority of places state 1 month to 1/2 year and on the other spectrum, the owner of the shop I had my front lip painted said 3 days. :hmmm2:

I plan to give my car a full detail this weekend so is it safe to strip their wax so I can apply my own polish + sealant? Or just leave it alone?

Good questions Davis. There are 2 ways to let the paint dry. You have the old school air drying by letting it sit in the open, or under sunlight, and then you have the more modern paint booth to bake it.

I don't know what kind of paint system they used, but most body shops have changed to water base paint, but the rest of the other layers which include the clearcoat are still solvent based so it still need to outgas. If air dried, it can take days before it is cured, meaning when you touch it, it will not leave an imprint, when a dirt lands on it, it will not stick onto it. But, if you bake it, it will cure within 12 hours. The paint will continue to outgas over a period of one month.

I personally would not wax, or apply a sealant to a freshly painted part as insurance so just in case it can potentially lock or seal the solvents from out gassing. Better to be safe than sorry and wait the 30 day period.

Unpacked the new bumper earlier. I can see the blue pearls and what not but I see spots of haziness and swirls. No biggie, as I plan to detail my car this weekend anyway. It bolts on just fine, just took a bit of sliding back and forth. As with my current bumper, there are gaps below the headlights. Doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

But the feel of it is another story. It has a texture feel or "orange peel" on majority of the bumper. Here's what they said when I emailed them.

Is this true? Would I have to resort to wet-sanding?

Nonetheless, color-match is pretty good; at least what I could see from using a flashlight comparing the fender with the bumper.

The texture feel, and orange peel are both associated with the experience of the painter with the spraygun, chemicals, and environment. I have seen really smooth finish, and really textured finish where I currently work at. It all depends on a couple of factors and it's never the same everytime a painter goes in the booth and shoots a part.

In order to level the texture, and orange peel, sanding/damp sanding is required. I'm not sure if you want to try and tackle this yourself or not because things can go wrong really fast in this specific area. But, the longer you wait the harder the clear is gonna be, and the harder it's going to take for your machine to polish out the sanding marks from sanding. If you are to sand it, do it as soon as possible while the clear is still semi soft, so it will be easier to polish out the sanding marks.

truWarier02

Reaction score

Thanks for the information, Lemny!

Felt a bit adventurous today and decided to give Optimum No Rinse a try. Not so sure I like using it compared to the traditional hose and buckets method. The only advantage I see is that water won't leak out of nooks and crannies when I drive off, which is actually a big plus. Nonetheless, I still pulled out the garage and hosed down the wheels and wheel wells, and washed the wheels with traditional car shampoo.

For the ONR wash, I still decided to use 2 buckets: 1 rinse w/ grit guard and 1 with ONR wash solution. And also created a ONR QD dilution in a 32 oz bottle for cleaning the door jambs and pre-spraying panels before washing with the mitt; but not sure if that helps though. After completing every panel from top to bottom, car looked good but still I don't feel it cleans all the crevices/jambs/trims like a blast of a hose could. And having to clean the mitt and pre-soak, wash, and dry after each panel became a little tedious.

I still had to hit the whole car with Last Touch QD to clean up dirty water drips on some panels. Overall, I didn't feel I saved much time using a rinseless wash, which was my main goal today; but maybe after a couple more tries, I'll be more comfortable and efficient with it. For now, I think I will stick to the hose and buckets method.

Also decided to try out my new nanoskin sponge and clayed the front and rear windshields. Never clayed anything in my life prior to this. The windshields felt pretty rough and my towels would always drag on them with the friction they create. The sponge is easy to use and clean. In about 20 minutes, both windshields were buttery smooth. Topped them off with Stoner's Invisible Glass wipes.

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
What did you do today Detailing related?

Cleaned my headlights and free'd up some space in trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score

Cleaned my headlights and free'd up some space in trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember the last time I put something in my trunk. Maybe four years ago? lol

#thesublife

f20bcg3

Reaction score

e6a4uzaq.jpg

purchased this to see if i can get rid off the stickiness of the center console beginning to develop

F20Bs don't take prisoners they chop faces off!!

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Friend dropped by for a maintenance wash.

Foamed it up as usual to help break down the dirt.

Finished shots

Initial pre foam to help loosen and break up any surface dirt that's not embedded to the paint that would require agitation.
Rinsed
Foamed again with Auto Finesse Avalanche & Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Mixed
Two bucket method wash
Rinsed
Dried

Last edited:

cmgreensr

Reaction score

Decided to clean up a spare set of headlights that I had in my trunk. I went with just rubbing and polishing compound and wow, what a difference. I had several grits of sandpaper on hand but they weren't needed.

I'll never let another set turn yellow again after seeing how easy this was.

Back