What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

kn0x47

Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

what'd you apply the polish with? i bought one of those polish cones things for a drill. it didnt seem to make any difference

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

what'd you apply the polish with? i bought one of those polish cones things for a drill. it didnt seem to make any difference

By hand lol....micro fiber cloth and elbow grease. I have a lot of pads and different rotary applicators, but they can easily leave unevenness. Ive never used one of those balls, but might get one at some point. What polish have you tried? Do your lips have a protective layer? Like I said earlier, mine are bare metal...

Shoot me a PM if you want, and we can chat about polishing :)

kn0x47

Reaction score

By hand lol....micro fiber cloth and elbow grease. I have a lot of pads and different rotary applicators, but they can easily leave unevenness. Ive never used one of those balls, but might get one at some point. What polish have you tried? Do your lips have a protective layer? Like I said earlier, mine are bare metal...

Shoot me a PM if you want, and we can chat about polishing :)

i used the mag and aluminum polish. they're the original work lips so they may have a protective layer. i cant really tell. i guess i'll just try it again

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon, if your lip on the wheel are in good condition, just use the mag and alum polish with a MF towel. Steel wool is only necessary as a last resort to really get the gunk off. I can't imagine your wheels in a state where you would need to grab some steel wool.

Some info I taken from Autogeekonline.net

Uncoated or Bare Aluminum Wheels - You'll quickly see black residue build up on your polishing cloth

Clearcoated Aluminum Wheels - You might see some dirt residue on your polishing cloth but it won't turn black like you'll see if it's bare aluminum.

Anodized Aluminum Wheels - Same as clearcoated aluminum, you will see a little colored residue come off, usually the color of the anodizing but it certainly won't be anything like what you'll see if you're working on bare aluminum.

Chrome Wheels - You shouldn't see any color coming off chrome except for any built-up roadgrime that didn't come off when you washed the wheel and this will tend to be kind of a dirt color, light brown. After you remove any roadgrime then you won't see any color come off the chrome at all.

Clearcoated Wheels - Since clear paint is clear, you should see no color or pigment coming off on your polishing cloth. If there's dirt or roadgrime built-up on the clearcoated wheel you'll see a little brown color coming off but that will stop once you have the roadgrime removed.

Painted Wheels - If you're wheels are painted a color and not clearcoated then if you rub a little polish onto the rim you'll see the color of the paint coming off onto your polishing cloth.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

used the interior cleaner tht lemmie sent... very good stuff... cleaned the accord and mazda's interior with tht... did everthing, including the door panels... love the stuff as it doesn't leave an oily residue like other brands... gonna be claybarring soon, so i'll try out the sealent lemmie sent as well :thumbsup:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for your feedback Roy. For the sealant let it sit for at least an hour before wiping off for best results.

kn0x47

Reaction score

tried polishing a lip again. used both mother's mag/alum polish and never dull. basically no black residue. I even put some polish on some 0000 steel wool and nothing changed so they must be either clearcoated or anodized.

here's what I'm up against
2014-02-27%2017.22.58.jpg

obviously the scratch is a whole nother story but its that hazy look to it that i wish i could get rid of.

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

Looks like they have a clear coat on them.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

tried polishing a lip again. used both mother's mag/alum polish and never dull. basically no black residue. I even put some polish on some 0000 steel wool and nothing changed so they must be either clearcoated or anodized.

here's what I'm up against
2014-02-27%2017.22.58.jpg

obviously the scratch is a whole nother story but its that hazy look to it that i wish i could get rid of.

Jon, since you did a test spot with the 2 methods, and you did not see any black residue coming off, you have clear coated lips on your wheels. It's a good thing, and a bad thing haha. The good thing is it requires much less maintenance. For example, Chris's wheels are uncoated, which is why he has to keep polishing them up to get "That Shine Back". The bad thing is, no matter what you do, the lips will always have "a little milky/hazy look" to it. That's how they were manufactured. (I did some research on that part) It cannot look like Chris's wheel in comparison.

Now that you've figured out it's clearcoated, you may use finishing polishes, polishes, and compounds on the "lip", just like you would for the paint on your car. Now here is the tricky part. The amount of clear coat on a vehicle is not the same as an aftermarket wheel. It may be thinner, or thicker than the clear on a car, and cars these days have "very" little clear on them straight from the factory. What I would recommend is using the least aggressive method and work your way up. Use a finishing polish first with a microfiber towel, if doing by hand, then see if you can correct any defects. Then slowly move up the aggressiveness, and remember you cannot keep polishing the lips forever because eventually you will go through the clear if you do it very often. Do it once, and try to take good care of it by applying a sealant, or a coating, to protect the surface, and do weekly washes to maintain the finish. Hope this helps clear some things up. :thumbsup:

Looks like they have a clear coat on them.

Chris, you are correct. Any updates on your wheel project lately?

Back