What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

As far as I know, not much. I just went out to look, and couldn't find anything. Mostly I remember using some Meguiar's Leather Cleaner for my seats and a carpet cleaner/vacuum for the carpet. I'll look tomorrow to make absolutely sure, some of it I may be in my trunk.

As for buying different things, I shouldn't have to buy anything. My friend I'm doing this with has his own little detailing business, so hopefully he has some of this stuff. He wanted to ask your opinion for the best products, in your experience also.

For light stains/dirt to moderate on carpets, I would highly recommend Folex. You can get a gallon at Home Depot or Lowes for 15.00. Folex leaves no residue, doesn't need to be rinsed, doesn't alter carpet fiber, has no scent, no bleaching properties, and is pH neutral. I will do a test spot on my car's carpet tomorrow to show you an example of it's cleaning power.

For plastic, and vinyl, I like to use a citrus based cleaner from Home Depot called Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner. You can get a gallon for 12.00. Grab a 32oz bottle, and do a 1:10 dilution ratio, which yields 3 oz product and 29 oz water, or if you have stubborn stains, marks, grease, step it up to 4:1 ratio. Both of these are readily accessible, and some of my favorite products to use.

For leather, do you know if they are coated or uncoated leather? To test, pour a drop of water on top, if it pools it's coated, if it absorbs, it's uncoated. Before I give you a recommendation, I need a little bit more info, otherwise you can easily damage the leather.

i have a question guys, i happened to get some gorilla glue on my bumper. and i got a couple drips on. it has been there for awhile now. what would be the best steps to get this off?

I do not have any experience removing gorilla glue, but I have a few ideas in mind. I googled gorilla glue's material safety data sheet, which means it's DNA, what it's made out of and it has 2 ingredients which both are a pain in the butt to remove; Urethane prepolymer, and Polymeric MDI. Both are used to form a flexible, but very sticky, and extremely durable adhesive.

Taken from the gorilla glue site; Wipe off excess glue immediately with a dry cloth or standard paint thinner. Do not drag glue over material, instead make small swipes to remove wet adhesive. Make sure you avoid skin contact. Cured glue can be removed with a chisel, scraper or sandpaper. I would not use a chisel on paint, a plastic scraper will be okay, but I'm afraid of lifting the paint off from underneath with it as well, sandpaper is a good option to a certain extent, as in sand the bump of the surface down to a more leveled surface then use a different plan of attack to finish.

My suggestion for removal is the following:

1. Use Goo Off(1st), paint thinner(2), acetone(3). Goo Off is safe on paint, but be careful with it. Paint thinner is one level before Acetone, and it is really strong and do not let any of the 3 sit, or dry on your paint. Dab a little bit on it, and try to rub it off. Wipe away excess immediately afterwards.

2. Remove as much glue as you can with a new razor blade while avoiding contact with the paint. Tape off the paint surrounding the glue if you have to in order to get a better point of view of how high the glue is compared to the paint.(Only do this if you have a small blob, if level with surface do not do it)

3. Use a hair dryer to try and soften the cured glue, and scrape off as much as you can with a sharp plastic scraper.

4. If you never used sandpaper, do not attempt this step AT ALL. Things can get bad really quick if you don't know what you are doing. I would start with 2000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a sanding block to ensure the surface is as flat as possible compared to using your finger tips. Lightly, and gently sand until you get a feel for how much pressure you need to use, and is it working or not. If not, be more aggressive and use 1500 grit sandpaper, and so forth. Do not use less than 600 if you don't have to.

5. Follow the sandpaper with compound then polish to restore the shine. A coat of wax, or sealant will help protect everything when you're done.

Test your hair dryer and scraper first in whatever area you deem "inconspicuous" to see how much heat and scraping force it will stand without significant damage.

Hope this helps, or gives you a better understanding of the position you are in.

Last edited:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

For leather, do you know if they are coated or uncoated leather? To test, pour a drop of water on top, if it pools it's coated, if it absorbs, it's uncoated. Before I give you a recommendation, I need a little bit more info, otherwise you can easily damage the leather.

I'm almost positive it's coated. It rained in my car at one point long ago (very sad to say that) and it all pooled in the seats.

todd_cards

Reaction score

Alright man. I'm going to try to take some of these steps in mind today and see what I can do. Thanks buddy for the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

f20bcg3

Reaction score

So it felt so wonderful outside i decided to use the detailing kit lemon sent me on my truck and it did great
Before
yguba2ad.jpg

After
pa5uzany.jpg

Before
junyhu5e.jpg

After
aje8yba6.jpg

Before
y8upedyb.jpg

After
enypyjaj.jpg

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Awesome pictures with before and after shots. Which product did you enjoy the most?

I have some pictures to contribute as well. I was going to clean a spot on my carpet to show a member the potential of a hidden gem. Well, here it is.

Before

Two areas with what I consider really bad stains

Zooming in

Done

Zooming in

After

Halfway done 50/50 shot

Aftermath

Process:

Vacuum as best as you can
Spray Folex and let it sit for 2minutes
Use a very stiff nylon brush and brush it Left to Right, then Up to Down
Wipe up as much as possible with a towel
Vacuum up as much moisture as you can(Better with an extractor)
Let it air dry or use a cooling fan to speed up the process

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

Last edited:

f20bcg3

Reaction score

To be honest i didnt get to try the rest of products just glass cleaner and interior and i was equally satisfied with both thank u for the opportunity to try the products out

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be honest i didnt get to try the rest of products just glass cleaner and interior and i was equally satisfied with both thank u for the opportunity to try the products out

I just bought the extra finger pump mist sprayers that I need to send out. Hopefully you will receive it in a couple days when I ship it out tomorrow. Let me know which you like best after you get an opportunity to test them.

Just a couple pictures of what an Over The Counter product can do for your interior. I like to use Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner for interior vinyl, and plastic surfaces. An ideal product for weekly maintenance wipe downs, but can also be diluted to stronger ratio for stubborn stains and marks.

f20bcg3

Reaction score

Sweet thanx lemon u have really opened a whole new world to detailing to a whole lot of members including myself i used the interior and glass also on my wifes car she was also amazed with results

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

Finished one more wheel today.

Before

20140310_165750_zps70f7daaf.jpg

After

20140310_165611_zps90ccc299.jpg

2 more to go! Polishing is a pain in the as$ (actually its a cramp in the hand)

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks good Chris. The distinction of image is much more clear, crisp, and reflective. You looking to invest in one of those Mothers Powerball? Might be less fatigue on your fingers. :lawl:

Back