car jerks in the morning from reverse to drive

themachine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

In the morning, after i warm it up for few mins, my car jerks a little when i hit reverse but even more from reverse to drive. This only happens in the morning.
My car shifts smoothly without any hesitation, transmission has been serviced few months ago. It doesn't happen after i drive around a little bit. What could be the issue????

I haven't checked the fluid for a week or two but will do so today.

99 accord i4

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That is normal autotragic operation. Just let the car warm up a little before shifting out of park, especially when it’s cold. And when you are moving the gear lever between P,R,N,D always do it slowly and let the lever sit in each position for a second or two before moving to the next.

And yes, make sure you have enough fluid and change it on a regular basis.

themachine

Reaction score
That is normal autotragic operation. Just let the car warm up a little before shifting out of park, especially when it’s cold. And when you are moving the gear lever between P,R,N,D always do it slowly and let the lever sit in each position for a second or two before moving to the next.

And yes, make sure you have enough fluid and change it on a regular basis.

Thing is, it was never doing that, i do warm up quite well..especially the one from reverse to drive, its a big jump. Will check the fluids for sure.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thing is, it was never doing that, i do warm up quite well..especially the one from reverse to drive, its a big jump. Will check the fluids for sure.

Really? That's unusual for these, but if it was ever smooth when going between the aforementioned gears I applaud it.

Mine exhibited this sort of behavior from 74k miles to 133k miles, it never worsened or got better, just stayed the same.

themachine

Reaction score
Really? That's unusual for these, but if it was ever smooth when going between the aforementioned gears I applaud it.

Mine exhibited this sort of behavior from 74k miles to 133k miles, it never worsened or got better, just stayed the same.

Well, in reverse, i used to have a tiny jump. barely notice it but rarely would i feel a heavy jump on the drive. Doesn't happen though if the car is sitting for hours while i'm at work. Happens only overnight..weird thing.
Hopefully its not my transmission

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Our cars (V6),whenever you shift outta park or reverse into drive, the transmission switches to 3rd gear and then into 1st right after(normally you shouldn't feel it). So it kinda feels like it engages into gear twice. Sounds like what you describing, the solution is to check (change) the pressure switches, and/or shift solenoids

themachine

Reaction score
Our cars (V6),whenever you shift outta park or reverse into drive, the transmission switches to 3rd gear and then into 1st right after(normally you shouldn't feel it). So it kinda feels like it engages into gear twice. Sounds like what you describing, the solution is to check (change) the pressure switches, and/or shift solenoids

yeah, might be the pressure switch, i changed one about a year ago. Will look into that tomorrow. Thanks

Back