Engine sputters and stalls on startup then runs fine

james'99

Reaction score
He got back to me.

phi1542 said that he swapped out the main relay two weeks ago and so far hasn't re-faced the issue.

I switched out the main relay like last week or 2 weeks ago. So far so good but it hasn't been long enough to tell. Usually takes a while in-between occurances. It's rare for it to just shut off like that so it's hard to pin point what it is. So i tried a new main relay and so far so good. If you have this issue i would start off with the main relay.

You can start here...

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061463

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah I got an oem one from a friend for free he had one laying around so far so good. I feel like it runs better. So start with that. My friend has been working on Hondas for 20+ years he says the main relay is a common issue for it to go bad. Maybe ignition? but yeah start with the main relay.

jhowarx3

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for let me know bro, I will do that tomorrow because I already have one main relay oem from a friend too, but I didnt put it yet. I will let you know what happend guys.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If the light never comes on it, may not be working.

Coming on when you start the car is a self-test kinda thing. They all do that. It's so that you can see that it works.

jhowarx3

Reaction score
Yes it works when I turn the key on, but the problems happen it never come on. And I already change the main relay I am doing test with new one to see what happen.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Open up the old one. They can be opened without damaging them!

The problem is cracked solder joints, so look at all of them, the cracks are easy to see.

They are easy to fix, too. I have before. I did not know this was still an issue, the only time I saw it was a 1G Acura Legend. I have heard the issue began when they switched to lead-free solder.

Back