Need Advice

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I have a 98 Impreza outback sport 5 speed. It's not half bad but I prefer my 5 speed sedan in almost every way over my Subaru.

capsidx

Reaction score
I have a 98 Impreza outback sport 5 speed. It's not half bad but I prefer my 5 speed sedan in almost every way over my Subaru.

I was reading subaru isnt really known for reliability. Would you agree with said statement?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Depends really. The 2.2 is basically a bulletproof motor. My Subaru has almost 215k and I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled that. The 2.2's shouldn't need head gaskets done like the 2.5 liters.

capsidx

Reaction score
I want to say the same about my car. I will be doing the rear main seal this weekend which should loads of fun and I also have to find another oil leak on top of the mystery coolant leak. I almost wish I had a different car right about now :squintrun:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord is right though. Every car comes with its own problems. I bought my Subaru knowing the transmission was on its way out. Thankfully I had a spare transmission and after my clutch completely blew I up I changed that and the transmission. However, I have a lift at home making it easier.

capsidx

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord is right though. Every car comes with its own problems. I bought my Subaru knowing the transmission was on its way out. Thankfully I had a spare transmission and after my clutch completely blew I up I changed that and the transmission. However, I have a lift at home making it easier.

I see that now. when your car is having its problems you dont see the other side when its fixed. We all want our instant gratification. Me just having moved down here and starting a new job makes things a little tougher but not unmanageable. One piece at a time I suppose lol. Parts cant last forever. Also, I wish I had a lift, that would make things so much easier. For the time being its all about dismantling and reassembling lol

capsidx

Reaction score
Yea lol to register it here in FL was about 400 dollars. Id say ive put in about that much in parts so far. Im still in the green until something else breaks, like my radiator for example lol. I just found coolant all over my condenser. So it looks like I may need a new radiator although I cant confirm this yet. Hopefully I make it to work tomorrow. Anyways what kind of condition was your car in when you got it if you dont mind me asking.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The car was in pretty good shape. No dents. Just some chips in the paint. It has been repainted and I'm guessing the chips are from poor prep. The inside is alright. Seats are not stained. The door panels were filthy. I took armorall and some rags to interior plastic panels and they went from brown to light tan haha. Feels much cleaner.

The front bumper is off a little bit. I can tell there was some minor front driver corner damage that was fixed. But for a 18 year old car its in pretty good shape. The engine bay is very clean for its age. I bought it with super dirty and gunked up spark plugs and
wires that were arcing. So I gave it a tune up. I still have to order a new ignition switch.

It did have a new battery and alternator installed and the AC blows cold. The trunk floor is missing but I'm building a custom floor for the full size spare.

The center console was filthy from the previous owners not knowing how to drive a manual and resting their arm on the shifter. I reupholstered the center console in red fabric with Gold pea**** feather print. Baller. The synchros in the transmission are a bit worn so I really have to match revs on down shifts but I enjoy double clutching. I even have to wait for the engine rpms to drop between shifts to let the gear speeds match but I'm ok with that. This car is a daily work car and not a racer.

Its a good car that I want to keep forever. It is gonna be my classic car.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
The car was in pretty good shape. No dents. Just some chips in the paint. It has been repainted and I'm guessing the chips are from poor prep. The inside is alright. Seats are not stained. The door panels were filthy. I took armorall and some rags to interior plastic panels and they went from brown to light tan haha. Feels much cleaner.

The front bumper is off a little bit. I can tell there was some minor front driver corner damage that was fixed. But for a 18 year old car its in pretty good shape. The engine bay is very clean for its age. I bought it with super dirty and gunked up spark plugs and
wires that were arcing. So I gave it a tune up. I still have to order a new ignition switch.

It did have a new battery and alternator installed and the AC blows cold. The trunk floor is missing but I'm building a custom floor for the full size spare.

The center console was filthy from the previous owners not knowing how to drive a manual and resting their arm on the shifter. I reupholstered the center console in red fabric with Gold pea**** feather print. Baller. The synchros in the transmission are a bit worn so I really have to match revs on down shifts but I enjoy double clutching. I even have to wait for the engine rpms to drop between shifts to let the gear speeds match but I'm ok with that. This car is a daily work car and not a racer.

Its a good car that I want to keep forever. It is gonna be my classic car.

Sounds like my mindset. Also it seems you're making due with what you have until it can be fixed. I wish sometimes I had that kind of patience but now I'm dealing with it out of necessity lol. Congrats on rescuing the car from the junkyard or some old person though lol

Back