My tranny took a sh*t in the bed today!

Mrkrsll

Reaction score
I have a 2001 accord auto 2.3l. Was driving home from work, pulled into the parking lot and the car just revved up like it was in neutral. All of a sudden it rough shifted into gear. When I stopped the car and put it in park I could hear what sounded like little pieces of metal in the tranny case clinging around.
Put the car in reverse and same thing..revved up like it was in neutral and then shifted into reverse. I'm worried to drive it to work tomorrow...
I'm guessing the tranny is toast?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good. You can search up some of the transmission threads and see if you find anything helpful, a lot of various problems and solutions have been discussed. But we rarely get lucky.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Drain the fluid through a coffee filter in a funnel.

If you find chunks it's toast.

You'll probably find chunks given your previous thread and the noise you describe.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Warm your car to normal operating temperature and check your transmission fluid.

Olddohc

Reaction score
Mine took a dump too. These trannies are notoriously crappy. Lots of people do manual tranny swaps b/c the manuals are stronger n last longer.

mrnude

Reaction score
You can try using lucas additive for the tranny worth a shot for 12 bucks. Make sure to drain some tranny fluid before adding it in.
also that stuff is really thick lol

Mrkrsll

Reaction score
Warm your car to normal operating temperature and check your transmission fluid.

That's exactly what I did, I turn the car off and went right to the dip stick and the level showed it was full. Then I left the car running and checked and the stick was dry! I filled it until it was full on the stick and kept checking while the car was running. Took it out for a boot and about 5 mins into the drive everything was back to normal.
I'm wondering if the clinging I heard left metal pieces in the tranny?
I'm gonna drain and refill with Honda ATF.
I want to leave the drain plug open and dump 4 litres through it then fill t back up. Is there any problems putting regular ATF through the tranny and then the final fill use Honda ATF?

Emphasis

Reaction score
That's exactly what I did, I turn the car off and went right to the dip stick and the level showed it was full. Then I left the car running and checked and the stick was dry! I filled it until it was full on the stick and kept checking while the car was running. Took it out for a boot and about 5 mins into the drive everything was back to normal.
I'm wondering if the clinging I heard left metal pieces in the tranny?
I'm gonna drain and refill with Honda ATF.
I want to leave the drain plug open and dump 4 litres through it then fill t back up. Is there any problems putting regular ATF through the tranny and then the final fill use Honda ATF?

Did you park the car on level ground, and shut off the engine at normal operating temperature? Make sure you do so, and that the fluid level is between the upper and lower marks.

Also, don't leave the transmission drain plug off and pour ATF inside, it's pretty much a waste considering it's not circulating inside the transmission getting the old fluid out when you drain it the next time. Drain and refill the fluid as per your car's requirement;

4 cylinder = 2.6 US qt
6 cylinder = 3.1 US qt

I wouldn't advise you trying normal ATF. The Honda ATF has Honda-specified additives that are specifically meant to be used with this particular transmission.
__

Try this and see if your situation changes.

Back