Troubleshooting electrical problem

guytv

Reaction score
So, yesterday night my car was having electrical problems. I turned on the car yesterday after driving my car all day the day before. It started normally. As I drove a short distance from my drive way, the lights in my car turned off quickly and turned on (every light - headlights, radio, lights inside the car). I had my iphone connected as well. So seeing my iphone turn off was noticeable. But the biggest thing I noticed was when I turned on the AC (I turned it on and off a couple of times). The lights inside the car dim greatly. Also, my headlights seemed to dim as well (I noticed that one of the hids turned off).

So, I went the store. After I came back I started the car and it took awhile to turn on. I turned on the ac and it work normally. After getting to my house, I turn off the car and turn it on again. Same thing happen. It took awhile to turn on.

I begin thinking that it was the relay that I installed for the hids. So, I took it out and installed the hids without it. The same thing happen when I turned on the car. It took awhile to turn on. I kept messing around with the hids trying to see what will work. However, the same thing happened. It took awhile until the car started.

So, I looked at the battery terminal post. Both the positive and negative terminals were black but not too black (Also, I changed my terminal ends that is on the wires a couple months ago). I decided to clean the terminal post with one of those twisting battery post cleaner. And Bam! The car started normally without hesitation. I tried turning on the car a couple of times as well as the turning on and off the AC. It works normally now :).

I'm guessing the battery was not making good enough contact. So, it was not being charged by the alternator. Therefore, it took long for the car to turn on because the battery did not have enough voltage to start the car right away.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah, the root of most electrical problems are grounds/connections. In most cases, you will find your fix there.

Back