Illegal to work on your car

kn0x47

Reaction score
"GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal"

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-fo...html?soc_src=unv-sh&soc_trk=fb&fb_ref=Default

^^Clicky^^

cliffnotes:

American car companies and a few others want to make it illegal for you to work on your car because "you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology."

List of car companies in support of this change:

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

Thoughts?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
We bought the car so we can do what we want with it, it's our property. A lease, sure because then it actually is not yours. But one that you outright purchased and have your name on the title as owner is no different than buying a computer and changing out the internals to better suite your needs. Or buying a TV for the sole purpose of throwing a brick at it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
This kind of thinking is part of why I'm against turning cars into appliances. I saw a similar article on Autoblog:
. said:
Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

Every three years, the office holds hearings on whether certain activities should be exempt from the DMCA's section 1201, which governs technological measures that protect copyrighted work. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for individual rights in the digital world, has asked the office to ensure that enthusiasts can continue working on cars by providing exemptions that would give them the right to access necessary car components.

Interested parties have until the end of the month to file comments on the proposed rule making, and a final decision is expected by mid-year.

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."

GM says The telematics is being threatened, and automakers are saying they know their cars better. More here if you scroll down:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/

:gr_guns:

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I like my car. My goal is to keep it until I die.

If it dies first (I hope not) I'll get another Honda.

F'k those companies.

I also reorganized their list a bit:

General Motors Company

BMW Group

FCA US LLC
--Chrysler

Mercedes-Benz USA

Toyota

VAG
--Volkswagen Group of America (Audi too)
--Porsche (Remember Ferdinand Porsche? He started this and VW)

Ford
--Ford Motor Company
--Jaguar Land Rover
--Mazda
--Volvo Cars North America
--Mitsubishi Motors (this arrangement is strange)

So they listed brands, not companies.

But the important bit, we have companies that want you to settle with junk. I tend to avoid junk in the first place, so I don't need to 'fix' anyway. That's the best arrangement. If you don't want people to work on their own cars, then sell them stuff that doesn't need it.

nexTOme

Reaction score
I read this somewhere else too.
Know your car better? I'm looking at you GM :madrun:

Same ridiculous concept can be applied at anything.
People don't own houses, bank does.
Yet, those people fix and repair houses.
Punish everyone attempting fix cars, houses, computers, etc.
Shut down Home Depot, Lowe's, Autozone, Pep Boy's, Best Buy, etc for criminal activity involvement.

Glad to see Honda and Subaru not on the list.
I hate people and society. Just sometimes.

james'99

Reaction score
Honda's dont need repair. That's why they ignored this change. Haha! But yeah, I am totally against this myself. I hate that everything is so tied into each other that you can barely change a head unit out now. What happens when USB is no longer around? Use AUX forever? Ridiculous. That's one small item on a very large scale but you get the picture. This is a very biased statement, but I think cars hit their peak for me in the era of the 6GA. They appropriately balance how electronics are used in a car and actually allow a driver to safely drive from A to B. People are becoming to reliant on the technology in their cars. Backup sensors for example. One goes bad and you back into something. Well, gee, didn't see that coming. Now you wrecked a $1000+ bumper. Come on. Really? Again, small examples on a large range of problems.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
/\ ditto

CAN systems are stupid (the failures are ***-tounding!), but still too smart for your average owner. So shops are chosen for repairs.

As for modifications we make are already required to meet legal stipulations, safety/ lighting/emissions/etc...

I wonder why Toyota is in this...

Anyway, my next (additional) car is an 88-91 Civic Wagovan 4WD, and after that I make them. Really. See the Locost ;)

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
To those companies,

"Hey, April Fool's Day is already over. Or, is that idea inspired by one of your top executives who smoked too much on 4/20? Hope it's a joke, gentlemen."

Can't work on your own, even if you own your car? Doesn't really make sense to me..

People have been modding cars ever since an automobile was invented. Forthermore, those kind of people, who want things to be customized 'n making things better, invented new technology. Not only cars, but fashion, food, housings, etc, we all want to have things improved; that's part of our DNA.

There's always cause and effect. When you work on a car, you perform at your own risk. If you fail on a DIY, you took the risk and nothing to be blame at. People make mistakes. But there's always things to learn from mistakes you make. That's one of the important learning process.

And, they're telling us doing so is illegal? I'm not sure if I fully understood what they're saying, but I don't see any of their points valid.

Sino

Reaction score
That'll never fly. Not with cars. It's so deeply ingrained in our culture.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back