How to replace the gas tank, the easy way with pics!

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I think Im still a few years from needing to replace my tank but Ive been realy curious if the 7th gen accord tanks would fit. We had a 6th and a 7th gen up at the same time at work, and the subframe/tank shape looked the same. The only noticable difference seemed to be the 7th gen tank is plastic, meaning no rust.
I suppose I should just quit trying to get somebody else to try it for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I can't remember where I saw it (might have been e-bay), but I did see a plastic tank for a 6th gen Accord for sale. My only problem was I already had a new steel tank (in storage for 3 or 4 months), so I was going to use it. If you really think about it, a new steel replacement tank isn't that bad of a way to go, when you think about the original steel tank going 18+ years before having a flange rust thru problem. I mean I could buy a new tank from Rock Auto (with shipping) for less than I could buy a used tank on e-bay, that still needed to be shipped (and nobody was offering free shipping either). I figure if I can get 10 to 15 years out of it, I'll be in good shape, and maybe a plastic tank will be offered by then for cheap. This of course means hoping the rusty Accord is still around in 10 to 15 years. ;) I'll probably do my wife's car before I need to replace the 99 tank again, and it's already 17 years old.

A buddy of mine just replaced the tank w/sending unit and pump, fuel lines, and tank straps on his wife's 95 S-10 Blazer. He had about 350 into it plus his time. Most of the parts were genuine GM too, that he got thru Rock Auto. He was originally in there to replace the fuel lines, but decided to do it all.:waytogo:

Gradfien

Reaction score
If you really think about it, a new steel replacement tank isn't that bad of a way to go, when you think about the original steel tank going 18+ years before having a flange rust thru problem.
I figure if I can get 10 to 15 years out of it, I'll be in good shape, and maybe a plastic tank will be offered by then for cheap. This of course means hoping the rusty Accord is still around in 10 to 15 years. ;)

Yeah, I know a steel tank should last as long as the rest of my car. I just like to fix my car with the idea of it being the most complete archeological find 10,000 years from now.

Also no car newer than mine has really stood out to me as being a better car. (Except possibly the 7th gens) and I'm still in my early 20's [emoji53]

Some times I feel like some of the older guys at the shop. "they just don't make stuff like they used to."

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yeah, I know a steel tank should last as long as the rest of my car. I just like to fix my car with the idea of it being the most complete archeological find 10,000 years from now.

Also no car newer than mine has really stood out to me as being a better car. (Except possibly the 7th gens) and I'm still in my early 20's [emoji53]

Some times I feel like some of the older guys at the shop. "they just don't make stuff like they used to."

Hell, I was hoping to get 10 to 15 more years out of mine if the rust doesn't eat it first. I have been slowly working on just fixing what's broken, and getting things correct.

Like you and others, I haven't really found a car that I like better than the 6th gen Accord sedan. The body style is contemporary (not dated), gets good fuel economy, is pretty decent size inside (roomy), and you can still get parts thru the dealer if you want to buy them from there.

Yes, things were built better in the old days. I've got a 52 year old car, and a 47 year old car sitting here. Both still run good and work like they were designed too. But, I've also bought reproduction parts that only lasted 6 months, when the original parts lasted 20 years.

Hurstmuscle

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread! Did you have to replace any of the bolts or bushings? I'm worried that 19 years of NE Ohio driving will have everything rusted solid, and I'll be torching!

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread! Did you have to replace any of the bolts or bushings? I'm worried that 19 years of NE Ohio driving will have everything rusted solid, and I'll be torching!

The only thing that was rusted up on mine was the left rear strut bushing thru bolt. I had to cut it out, due to the bolt rusting to the sleeve. Everything else came out like it was supposed to.

Last edited:

MikeVA

Reaction score
I am about to replace the tank on my 98 Honda with 133k miles (4 cylinder with rear drums). I bought a steel replacement tank and straps from Dorman.

Do you really need to disconnect the parking brake line? I am thinking when you drop the suspension assembly it would just hang there.

Did you replace the fuel pump or fuel level sending unit? I am thinking about doing that since it's easily accessible.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I am about to replace the tank on my 98 Honda with 133k miles (4 cylinder with rear drums). I bought a steel replacement tank and straps from Dorman.

Do you really need to disconnect the parking brake line? I am thinking when you drop the suspension assembly it would just hang there.

Did you replace the fuel pump or fuel level sending unit? I am thinking about doing that since it's easily accessible.

How did it go? I'm pretty sure the tank is the culprit for my ongoing p1456 fuel evap code, though my filler neck isn't the greatest looking. Still, this job is probably in my future if I keep holding onto this car. Which I have had since 2007, so may as well keep it up haha.

I would have definitely replaced fuel pump and other stuff there while it's all apart...

Back